PDA

View Full Version : Wishbone balljoints

MattyH16valver
04-09-2008, 16:22
Fitted some new Wishbones, control arms/trackrod ends and arb bushes over the past week or so...what do I need to do to pop the Wishbone balljoints back into the hubs?
Cheers
Matt

white16valver
04-09-2008, 17:47
I'm glad someone's asked this question!

I'd also like to know what's needed to get Track Rods re-attached at the wheel end - are they balljoints too? :oops:

katbloke
04-09-2008, 17:59
when i did mine, i got a longish bar and levered the wishbone down then angled the bottom joint upinto the hub hole release the bar then gave it a wiggle and it popped back in

Clio_GTT
04-09-2008, 18:46
The bottom balljoint on the wishbone should just pop in aslong as you've taken the bolt out that pinches it up, at most it'll require a tap with a toffee hammer.

Track rod end should just pop in and do up on the nut also

MattyH16valver
04-09-2008, 18:48
The bottom balljoint on the wishbone should just pop in aslong as you've taken the bolt out that pinches it up, at most it'll require a tap with a toffee hammer.

Spoke to mat on msn...i'd put the pinch bolts into the hubs before puttin in the balljoints so they could'nt clear the bolts :oops: Took bolts out, jacked wishbones up and bobs ur uncle they popped in. :D All these things u remember for the future :lol: Cheers for helps anyway.

Clio_GTT
04-09-2008, 19:19

Spoke to mat on msn...i'd put the pinch bolts into the hubs before puttin in the balljoints so they could'nt clear the bolts :oops: Took bolts out, jacked wishbones up and bobs ur uncle they popped in. :D All these things u remember for the future :lol: Cheers for helps anyway.

D'oh haha, atleast you know now lol

white16valver
05-09-2008, 09:03
Thanks for the info all, this is all useful stuff! :)

Allan
05-09-2008, 11:00
Well, have done this countless times now with the clio's
But my method is refit the ball joints back then put then just push the hub back onto the ball joint (make sure drive shaft is in too) then lift the hub a little (just pull up) the pin should slide stright in if not wiggle it a little, tighten that up.

Next i bend the wish bone down (usualy get someone to put a foot on it and push down thanks dad!) at this point push the top of the hub into the strut so it hooks under the strut.

Using a screw driver or a punch from the front of the car, place it in the lower bolt hole and use that to leaver the shock and hub into possition.
Then side the top bolt in (might need a tap with a hammer) do the nut up.
The shock and hub will be at a funny angle now, so putt it towards you, take out the punch and the bottom bolt hole will line up, push the bottom bolt in again (might need hammer) and tighten up.

Track rod arm is easy just push it in and put the nut on, if it spins lock it down with a spannor using the flat of the steering arm, and tighten.