PDA

View Full Version : GDI powered ITB'd 172

J o n
01-09-2008, 13:22
Well, I picked my car up from GDI on Friday evening after having their ITB kit fitted. The kit is the off the shelf one, nothing else added, so this included:

Jenvey throttle bodies and 90mm trumpets
Jenvery inlet manifold
Omex 600
Omex/GDI plug and play loom
Omex/GDI coilpack bracket
OMEX/GDI mounting brackets
OMEX/GDI crank sensor

Existing mods were:

GDI cat back exhaust (2.5")
Janspeed silenced decat (2.5")

It was all fitted and mapped by Andy @ GDI and I'm over the moon with it :)

Performance is literally uncomparable to a standard/breathed on/cam'd Clio. The power and throttle response are instant and the torque is mental. At 3'800rpm peak torque is created and it holds a totally flat line until over 6k, which on the road basically makes it an absolute animal.

It gets better though, average MPG is up around 3-5mpg (depending on my right foot), it's somehow quieter (less boom on ITB's than single body) and it drives beautifully. No judder, no jerkiness, no flat spots... literally perfect. My other half had a drive of it and couldn't believe the response and smoothness, her words were that it drives much nicer and smoother with better idle and cold start than her old Ph1 (standard car) and her newer Ph2 172 (also standard). So she's booking in for the kit now... lol - only problem now is I'll have to spend more money on mods, not having the missus driving a quicker Clio, I'd never hear the bloody end of it.

All in all thumbs up once again, great work and they even stayed until 11pm due to my busy schedule and distance I need to travel to get there (it's a 3+ hour trip from Manchester, but WELL worth it!!!). Car was even cleaned thoroughly (as I never bother) and once again came up stunning, so I've been threatened to keep it clean else I'll be having my head kicked in! lol

Can highly recommend this conversion, it goes straight onto a standard car, you dont lose your aircon and it's more economical, MUCH more powerful, sounds the cats tits and cheap as hell to do. Rods and pistons next month... then just need to pick a cam profile for silly power :D

G33R7
01-09-2008, 13:36
total cost?

Coops
01-09-2008, 14:32
have to wait till nearly 4k for peak torque? :? thought wud be much lower down on a n/a

J o n
01-09-2008, 16:08
Total cost was less for me, I already had an Omex and some other bits required, but it's £2380+vat for the whole kit pre mapped for an F4. That's a DIY plug and play fitment where you literally just bolt it all up yourself and it's ready to go. Price for the Williams is a few hundred quid less iirc.

Coops, please show me another Clio creating maximum torque at 3800rpm lol. The Williams creates 85% of it's max torque at 2500rpm... then it drops off significantly before picking back up again. Mine is making more torque than a Williams maximum amount of torque before 4k and holding it pretty much to the rev limit. The torque is enough to spin the wheels at under 2000rpm anyway.

Andy P
01-09-2008, 16:09
have to wait till nearly 4k for peak torque? :? thought wud be much lower down on a n/a

Thats where they come on cam though mate.

You obviously done remember NA days :wink:

eternalife
01-09-2008, 16:10

Not really, the F4R as standard makes available masses of its maximum torque from a low rpm.

From memory the quoted figure was 85% of all available torque available from 2000rpm onwards. The maximum / peak torque was experienced at approximately 5500rpm.

Therefore, by looking solely at the peak torque (which is actually now 1500rpm lower than before!) does not give quite the total picture.

Even more so when comparing against turbo's which traditionaly 'spike'.

J o n
01-09-2008, 16:18

Not really, the F4R as standard makes available masses of its maximum torque from a low rpm.

From memory the quoted figure was 85% of all available torque available from 2000rpm onwards. The maximum / peak torque was experienced at approximately 5500rpm.

Therefore, by looking solely at the peak torque (which is actually now 1500rpm lower than before!) does not give quite the total picture.

exactly, people forget that after that initial pull it drops off significantly lol

Evogone
01-09-2008, 17:21

exactly, people forget that after that initial pull it drops off significantly lol

That (big torque spikes) only applies to old skool turbo cars or poorly tuned / mapped ones. Modern turbo cars produce a flat curve, great examples are:-

New Golf GTI, Focus ST and all Diesels etc

But yes tuned turbo cars generally peak earlier and reduce steadily and tuned N/A cars usually peak lower and gradually increase.

Evogone
01-09-2008, 17:23

That (big torque spikes) only applies to old skool turbo cars or poorly tuned / mapped ones. Modern turbo cars produce a flat curve, great examples are:-

New Golf GTI, Focus ST and all Diesels etc

But yes tuned turbo cars generally peak earlier and reduce steadily and tuned N/A cars usually peak lower and gradually increase.

No edit button..!!

But yes tuned turbo cars generally peak earlier and reduce steadily and tuned N/A cars usually peak higher with a gradual increase across the range.

TB kit sound great, has no one had it done on a Williams to see what the results are ? May just get the OMEX first.

J o n
01-09-2008, 17:24
mine did as you described before on std inlet Evogone. Now it's just a totally flat line from 3800rpm, which I'm still trying to get used to again, it's almost caught me out coming off a round about going into work early this morning lol

Evogone
01-09-2008, 17:32
mine did as you described before on std inlet Evogone. Now it's just a totally flat line from 3800rpm, which I'm still trying to get used to again, it's almost caught me out coming off a round about going into work early this morning lol

You must take me out in this car..!

What you doing Saturday im in the Cup racer do in the Prom Stages at New Brighton (WRC cars and 6R4s and the likes).

www.promrally.bun.com

Would be good to put a name to a face.!!

Coops
01-09-2008, 17:45
furry muff, i just thought most n/a's produced peak torque low down then dropped off as said, but as u say spose key is the fact that it holds the torque all the way up the range

J o n
01-09-2008, 17:47
I'm working all weekend again sadly... the crux of being a one man band at work, having no other team members and no boss to fight your corner! Bit gutting as that sounds like my type of event, I love the old group B cars :(

The next weekend I have off is the 20th of this month unfortunately :( Having said that it will be a good one as I'm off the Monday and doing Snetterton if you fancy it? £120 full day, open pit :D

Where you based anyway dude, if your not too far we can always meet up mid week if the other half lets me! ;) lol. I'm near Stockport/Manchester way

2 live
01-09-2008, 17:53
pah. couldnt get back to urs b4 the vivaro van tho ;)

J o n
01-09-2008, 18:04
you having the sat nav may have played a part there ;) lol

to be fair you were fair motoring in the van round those Welsh mountain roads... never seen someone Scandanavian flick a Vivaro before :lol:

Evogone
01-09-2008, 18:08
I'm working all weekend again sadly... the crux of being a one man band at work, having no other team members and no boss to fight your corner! Bit gutting as that sounds like my type of event, I love the old group B cars :(

The next weekend I have off is the 20th of this month unfortunately :( Having said that it will be a good one as I'm off the Monday and doing Snetterton if you fancy it? £120 full day, open pit :D

Where you based anyway dude, if your not too far we can always meet up mid week if the other half lets me! ;) lol. I'm near Stockport/Manchester way

Im J16 M6 and i work in Didsbury so just down the road.!!

2 live
01-09-2008, 18:23
you having the sat nav may have played a part there ;) lol

to be fair you were fair motoring in the van round those Welsh mountain roads... never seen someone Scandanavian flick a Vivaro before :lol:

lol...there is that. dint have a clue where i was, but those roads were mint lol. even in the van.

J o n
01-09-2008, 18:39
Im J16 M6 and i work in Didsbury so just down the road.!!

oh ****ing hell, I'm only in Wilmslow! lol

well can meet up on my lunch break this week if you like? I can get 2-3 hours out the office no probs, so time's not an issue!

lol...there is that. dint have a clue where i was, but those roads were mint lol. even in the van.

god were they! I'd fancy a trip back for that reason alone, shame it wasn't in the day!!!

2 live
01-09-2008, 19:45
nah. much better in the dark. could at least see if there was owt comin the other way round the blind corners that were getting cut lol

bass_direct
01-09-2008, 20:40
fancy a race with my transit :P

2 live
01-09-2008, 21:49
transits ...pah...raced 1 from jesus to yozzas the other week.....no contest lol.

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2008, 21:22
What power did it get Jon?

2 live
02-09-2008, 21:24
what.......the van????

lol

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2008, 21:55
what.......the van????

lol

Yeah :D

2 live
03-09-2008, 16:07
190 lb/ft @ 400 rpm all way to redline, turning circle of 3 nautical miles and 3 sofa beds. ;)

Jamie.
03-09-2008, 20:18
Got any speedo clips or planning to do any 1/4 miles in the near future?

J o n
04-09-2008, 10:49
Rob - made 193bhp on Omex's rollers, 172's make 162bhp there, so 31bhp increase over standard and that's just at peak, it's more through the rev range :)

Jamie - not planning on doing an SQM days in it mate, I'm going to keep it as a daily driver for the time being and have all the interior and spare in still. I'll try and get a speedo vid done at some point though.

Jamie.
04-09-2008, 14:54
Just interested in seeing what she goes like :)

J o n
04-09-2008, 16:49
yeah fair do's, it's very very quick, not as quick up top as when it had the 428's in, but it feels as though there is more torque in the low and mid range.

Hopefully 2 live will get 159 or 51 road worthy and we can get a couple of vids sorted out. In boxing terms I think he's "ducking" me however ;) lol

2 live
04-09-2008, 16:58
lol..........in boxing terms id b fighting lightweight to ur heavyweight ;)

remember 0159 is std bar cat back zorst now. coilies, ecu, cams , headwork, de-cat......all gone . lol

im sure we can get some vids sorted at snetterton tho.

J o n
04-09-2008, 17:35
well 2 live, I keep telling you it's in a different league ;) lol (you walked into that one!)

good point too, Snetterton should be good, although my piss poor driving wont do the car justice lol

2 live
04-09-2008, 22:06
was meaning along the lines of mine being almost bog std, the exhaust being the exception....and yours having pretty much the works lol.

J o n
07-09-2008, 13:43
the works? it's Williams Clio standard! Only really has an exhaust and induction kit ;)

Std cams, std injectors, std non matched manifold etc ;)