PDA

View Full Version : Megasquirt & sensors

robi1000
27-08-2008, 22:31
A friend of mine is building Megane 2.0 16V Turbo and would like to know if he can use any existing sensors or all the sensors must be new to fit megasquirt. I told him that he should check out Emerald, but couldn't tell him anything about price and sensor compatibility. So what's the best option?

Cheers

eternalife
28-08-2008, 00:56
A friend of mine is building Megane 2.0 16V Turbo and would like to know if he can use any existing sensors or all the sensors must be new to fit megasquirt. I told him that he should check out Emerald, but couldn't tell him anything about price and sensor compatibility. So what's the best option?

Cheers

Heard quite a few things about megasquirt at the moment - big in the german scene i believe. The preference I have been told to use them is due to price (they cost substantially less than other standalone ECU's).

I am using an Emerald K3 ECU (£580 + Vat). Holds three maps which are switchable on the fly as you are driving - which greatly favours owners of turbo cars.
The ECU (as with many standalone) utilises the existing sensors (although their may be cases that I do not know of).
Dave Walker the owner of ECU can map cars too - although he will only map his own ecu (which makes sense to me, who is to know the ecu better than the person who created it :D ). He is usually booked 2 months in advance and is very well known in the Lotus scene - Exige's and 340R's I know he has mapped quite a few.
I can only recommend The Emerlad ECU and cannot compare against any other (as its the only Standalone ECU i have ever experienced personally).
I would defintiely recommend Dave Walker for mapping services too - he proved to be substantially cheaper than all else i enquired with. My 'Road map' can easily give me 400 miles to a tank (no hidden tricks of the diesel box here), and the car is very drivable be it in road or race map mode.

OMEX could be another option, and 'thejesus' will be here to promote that in due course I'm sure :wink:

robi1000
28-08-2008, 09:07
I've heard that OMEX is very expensive. Thanks for your feedback on Emerald. The thing is, he can get Megasquirt really cheap, so if anyone has any feedback on that I'd appreciate it.

Yanoo_
28-08-2008, 10:24
Robi, a friend of mine has a Clio 1.2 Turbo, it's running on VEMS management. It's cheap (compared to other ones) but really good. It can manage every important data and it has some extras: start program, EGT, ALS etc. It comes a base program and can use the stock sensors (AFR and EGT needs custom sensors). If your friend would like, his car may be mapped by one of the VEMS developer in Budapest (on rolling road with supplementary EGT, AFR and knock sensor). The mapping cost depends on vehicle type, is about 400-600 Eur. But it's absolutely perfect program. The guy often writes program for the Hungarian WRC/Gr.A cars!

J o n
28-08-2008, 13:37
I've heard that OMEX is very expensive. Thanks for your feedback on Emerald. The thing is, he can get Megasquirt really cheap, so if anyone has any feedback on that I'd appreciate it.

Omex isn't that expensive at all really, think the ECU is £600, more expensive then Megasquirt, but then you do pay for what you get. Omex is e-marked, none of the other ECU's in this thread are.