PDA

View Full Version : Siezed nuts on track rod ends

MattyH16valver
27-08-2008, 21:06
Anyone got any tips for undoing and getting these buggers off so i get take off the track rod ends.....mr brown suggested a blow lamp.... :(

Clio_GTT
27-08-2008, 21:07
counter hold the tie rod on the flats, use WD40 and/or heat

northy
27-08-2008, 21:11
blow torch mate

Once the nut is cherry red it should undo - other way is to use a nut splitter and cut it off

once the nut is off u may then struggle to unscrew the trackrod. Tis a awful job that normally ends in lots of new parts

MattyH16valver
27-08-2008, 21:29
Ok lads...cheers...will leave them for the mo then and take the car to a grage for them to do it...got some new wishbones to fir though. 8)

northy
27-08-2008, 21:32
if it was me i would get the full control arm with trackrods and screw them direct into the steering rack...i did mine and the handling was transformed

MattyH16valver
27-08-2008, 21:35
if it was me i would get the full control arm with trackrods and screw them direct into the steering rack...i did mine and the handling was transformed

Ok mate....will do then...i take it the power steering fluid needs to be drained if you do that then?

northy
27-08-2008, 21:37
no they just screw into the ends of the rack - u can change the steering rack gaitors too.

Euro car parts sell the arms.....http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/northy_com/1-1.jpg

disclaimer to richy for helping me with mine :wink:[/img]

MattyH16valver
27-08-2008, 21:43
Thanks....seems like the best idea mate. 8)

MattyH16valver
27-08-2008, 21:44
I take it the control arms are a bit easier to undo then? :lol:

Coops
28-08-2008, 10:30
pipe wrench ftw

MattyH16valver
28-08-2008, 11:37
pipe wrench is very good in my books

Do you know what size it need to be mate to undo the control arms? Will pop into Screw Fix tonite to get one. Cheers 8)

Wobba
28-08-2008, 11:38
Use the special wrench, borrow one off a plumber like me, get the ECP valver arms with track rod ends on them and fit. Getting the rods off will probably rip the old ones up a fair bit from what I have heard.

Probably need tracking done afterwards.

MattyH16valver
28-08-2008, 11:47
Use the special wrench, borrow one off a plumber like me, get the ECP valver arms with track rod ends on them and fit. Getting the rods off will probably rip the old ones up a fair bit from what I have heard.

Probably need tracking done afterwards.

I have ordered up the whole control arm and track rod end esembly now from ECP....not gonna even try fitting just new track rod ends...there well and truely siezed :lol:

Wobba
28-08-2008, 12:09
I've decided to to the same thing mate.

northy
28-08-2008, 12:59
mole grips are what i used, dont forget a small blow torch to heat any thread lock to aid removal.

MattyH16valver
28-08-2008, 13:44
mole grips are what i used, dont forget a small blow torch to heat any thread lock to aid removal.
Think my dad's got a blow torch....i take it u need to put some threadlock on the new control arms then when I fit them?

northy
28-08-2008, 15:27
i did but there is no need as u get a locking washer to stop them undoing

Wobba
28-08-2008, 17:03
Even if the locking nut came loose, it's unlikely to go anywhere with the stub axle holding it in place.

MattyH16valver
01-09-2008, 09:27
Finally managed to undo the passenger side control arm at the weekend, was an apsolute bastard to do! Used a pair of stilsons in the end. Have'nt even attepted the drivers side yet as there no room at all. Any tips for doing the drivers side.....enternal life....how did you do this side?
Cheers
Matt

northy
01-09-2008, 15:18
i just put full lock on and got in the best i could.

Once its loose it should unscrew - if it doesnt heat it with a blow torch. U will be able to unscrew it by hand then.

Dont forget the first few turns will break the tab washer locking lugs

MattyH16valver
02-09-2008, 09:17
i just put full lock on and got in the best i could.

Once its loose it should unscrew - if it doesnt heat it with a blow torch. U will be able to unscrew it by hand then.

Dont forget the first few turns will break the tab washer locking lugs

Cheers mate....I tried what you said and put it on full lock and there was just enough there to get the stilsons on it, this side was a lot easier than the other actually 8) Thanks god there both done now :lol: Struggled to put the rubber boot on last night after fitting the steering arm...no room as usual...will give it a go tonight.

northy
02-09-2008, 10:24
think thats bad - wait till you try and fit the breather pipe into the gaitor...that alone took me hours lol

it will be worth it once u get behind the wheel and feel the differance !!!!!

MattyH16valver
02-09-2008, 10:51
think thats bad - wait till you try and fit the breather pipe into the gaitor...that alone took me hours lol

it will be worth it once u get behind the wheel and feel the differance !!!!!

Ah don't say that mate....thought I got the worsrt of it out the way! :lol: As u said, hope i notice the the difference once its all done. The old balljoints on the tracks rods were as sloppy as anything! New wishbones and arbs bushed fitted too 8)

Wobba
02-09-2008, 12:04
Keep m informed on how it goes. I want to do the same :)

MattyH16valver
02-09-2008, 12:38
Keep m informed on how it goes. I want to do the same :)

Will do mate....might even be easier removing the steering rack and doing it off the car! :lol:

talkingfish
02-09-2008, 14:14
I'm getting 0425's done too!!!! I was renewing the suspension anyway so have decided to do this too.... should be done by Thursday - will let you know how the car feels.....

northy
02-09-2008, 15:21
it will feel amazing...best thing i ever did to my williams so far bar changing the column for a new one

MattyH16valver
02-09-2008, 15:43
Hope so mate....any tips for doing the gator then on the drivers side to make it a bit easier....just got really frustrated last nite...was nearly there and this bloody this stopped me from fishining....

northy
02-09-2008, 19:25
no mate - get the car up in the air so u can see what your doing, it will go on eventually. Think i got it half on then worked the seal up and onto the steering rack.

U will struggle more getting the breather pipes in

katbloke
02-09-2008, 19:48
breather pipe was a bugger, just done a n/s rack boot for its mot nut was seized and the breather was a pin, what should be 1/4 hours work tripled

MattyH16valver
02-09-2008, 20:19
no mate - get the car up in the air so u can see what your doing, it will go on eventually. Think i got it half on then worked the seal up and onto the steering rack.

U will struggle more getting the breather pipes in

Managed to get the gator onto the steering rack tonite....just the bloody breather pipe on the drivers side i could'nt get on :roll: then had a torrential thunderstorm and hail so had to retire again :lol: How important is it to have the breather pipe in? Just feel like leavin at at the mo and get the garage to do it when I get the tracking done.

white16valver
02-09-2008, 21:04
Does anyone want to help me do mine?

By the sounds of it it's going to take me weeks :shock: :( lol

MattyH16valver
02-09-2008, 21:16
Does anyone want to help me do mine?

By the sounds of it it's going to take me weeks :shock: :( lol

Honestly mate....im not sure how difficult it is to remove the rack itsself.....but would be so much easier to get the steering arms and gators sorted. Sure someone on here has removed one....

northy
02-09-2008, 21:38
keep with it, once u get the nack u will get the other side on dead easy

Clio_GTT
02-09-2008, 23:02
Get the biggest set of stilsons you can borrow and use brute force and heat, they'll soon shift.

MattyH16valver
03-09-2008, 09:14
I have actually removed both arms now and fitted the new ones....its just fiting the bretaher pipe into the driverside gator im struggling with now. :lol:

white16valver
03-09-2008, 11:33
Pics please so those of us still to do it can see! :D

Smudger
23-09-2008, 15:36
im going to be doing this very soon, but im also replacing the wishbones aswell, im guessing this will be allot easier without the wishbone and hub in situ????

Wobba
23-09-2008, 23:58
im going to be doing this very soon, but im also replacing the wishbones aswell, im guessing this will be allot easier without the wishbone and hub in situ????

More space the better I guess. I am doing wishbones, brakes, bushes and track rods all at once. Expect a major whining post from me imminently about how shit Clio's are to work on again...

Smudger
24-09-2008, 14:20
haha me too mate,

im going into be doing mostly the same;

new shocks/172 cup springs, anti-rollbar bushes, wishbones, steering arms, top mounts, engine mounts, dogbone etc

should be a fun weekend lol

Wobba
24-09-2008, 20:00
haha me too mate,

im going into be doing mostly the same;

new shocks/17poo cup springs, anti-rollbar bushes, wishbones, steering arms, top mounts, engine mounts, dogbone etc

should be a fun weekend lol

What arb bushes are you using and where you getting them from?

Wobba
03-10-2008, 12:56
looking at going out and attempting this now. Whats this breather pipe thing then? Isn't it just a case of puling the gaitor back, remove arms, plug in new ones?

white16valver
03-10-2008, 14:23
Can you post pics of the new ones before they go on please? :)

I just want to see if they've got gaitors attached! lol

Also, pics of this fabled breather pipe and a full fitting guide would be lovely ;) LoL :P :D

Wobba
03-10-2008, 17:32
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSCF01211.jpg

Thats one of mine ready to go on...

white16valver
03-10-2008, 17:45
Cool, thank you very much! :D

I'm still confused about the gaitors though - if they seal at the narrow point between the big bit on the left and the part of the rod that's black, how do you get such a small gaitor over the big fat bit??!?

(also, do you need to put some lubricating stuff into the gaitor? Sorry for all the questions :oops: )

Wobba
03-10-2008, 19:41
Cool, thank you very much! :D

I'm still confused about the gaitors though - if they seal at the narrow point between the big bit on the left and the part of the rod that's black, how do you get such a small gaitor over the big fat bit??!?

(also, do you need to put some lubricating stuff into the gaitor? Sorry for all the questions :oops: )

Dont forget you can undo the track rod end entirely from the rod itself to get a gator over.

I would assume the purpose of the gaitor is to keep in lubricant/grease to make sure the joints dont get a builldup of crap.

Wobba
04-10-2008, 12:33
Right, sat here now considering doing this. It will rain later and car will be off road for next week if it rains tomorrow (it will).

I get the idea on how to do it but the breather pipe business...I cant see any pipes in the gaitor. Not sure what u guys on about!