PDA

View Full Version : Williams Clio Mk1 Oil gauges

markgillard
27-08-2008, 08:54
Thought I had cured the problem with the oil level gauge when I discovered a loose (beige) wire in the plug that comes out of the dashboard.
However, the level gauge still doesnt work correctly - maxxing out when the ignition is on and falling to zero when the engine starts. I seem to remember that the guage would read the oil level and fall to zero after about 10 seconds irrespective of the key position. This leads me to believe that I have connected the pesky beige wire to the wrong point in the loom
Does anyone have the colour sequence (including blanks) of the oil gauge set wireing loom before my attempts at trial and error ruins another gauge set
M

eternalife
27-08-2008, 12:47
Thought I had cured the problem with the oil level gauge when I discovered a loose (beige) wire in the plug that comes out of the dashboard.
However, the level gauge still doesnt work correctly - maxxing out when the ignition is on and falling to zero when the engine starts. I seem to remember that the guage would read the oil level and fall to zero after about 10 seconds irrespective of the key position. This leads me to believe that I have connected the pesky beige wire to the wrong point in the loom
Does anyone have the colour sequence (including blanks) of the oil gauge set wireing loom before my attempts at trial and error ruins another gauge set
M

I have heard the ph1's show oil level only at the ignition on stage.
Ph2's show oil reading when ignition on and for 30 seconds after the engine is started.

Either way I doubt many cars (if any) read the oil level whilst the engine is on.

northy
27-08-2008, 12:48
no matter what the phase it should come on at ignition - stay up for ten seconds then drop.

Matty86
27-08-2008, 13:13
both my ph1s turn on at ignition but die as soon as you start the engine

Coops
27-08-2008, 14:18
phase 1 as matty says cuts out soon as engine starts, phase 2 hold reading for 10 seconds or so after engine start

Allan
27-08-2008, 14:33
all useless answers to his question but never mind lol.

Do you have a picture of the wire?
Could wip the top dash off and look at one of mine and look for you

eternalife
27-08-2008, 14:50
all useless answers to his question but never mind lol.

Do you have a picture of the wire?
Could wip the top dash off and look at one of mine and look for you

:?

They arent useless - he believes there is something wrong with what he has done.

Whereas matty/coops have confirmed it is working as required.

Allan
27-08-2008, 15:49
agreed im having a blonde moment :D

markgillard
27-08-2008, 18:43
Thanks for useful replies, I'll take off the dashboard tomorrow and list the wiring colours..

Cheers
M

northy
27-08-2008, 21:41
no matter what the phase it should come on at ignition - stay up for ten seconds then drop.

both my ph1s turn on at ignition but die as soon as you start the engine

They defo stay on once u start your engine mate - the williams do no matter what the phase

Matty86
27-08-2008, 22:04
trust me, they don't

i'll get a video for you tomorrow :D

northy
28-08-2008, 08:25
haha ok mate

markgillard
28-08-2008, 12:07
Dashboard off....
Wiring sequence (Left to right) is as follows (X is a space on the plug):
Purple, White,X,X,Orange,X,Beige,X,Black, X,Yellow,X,White,X,Grey
Hope someone can help
:?

2 live
01-09-2008, 18:45
trust me, they don't

i'll get a video for you tomorrow :D

we got this vid yet?? both mine stay up after the engines started, and drop after 10 secs or so. both willy 1s.

northy
01-09-2008, 20:00
nar no vid yet mate