PDA

View Full Version : How much to rebuild a valver engine?

Patrick_g46
24-08-2008, 00:04
I dont really know what is involved in a rebuild but im going to give it a shot! lol. Iv i was to buy a valver lump that was slighty worse for wear what would i be looking at in terms of what would i need to replace and how much would i be looking at for parts? Sorry if this is a bit vague but my plan is to buy a valver lump, rebuild it and get it running really nice then buy a car with a screwed engine and drop my lump in. Just fancy a bit of a project while im at uni!

Allan
24-08-2008, 00:06
400 quid ish in parts if you want to renew all the bearings rings seals etc

Patrick_g46
24-08-2008, 00:33
400 quid ish in parts if you want to renew all the bearings rings seals etc

How much would i be looking at for a "minor" rebuild? What could i go about renewing that would be worth while but not cost an arm and a leg?

Allan
24-08-2008, 00:36
just taking it apart is about 80 quid in gaskets
+20 - 40 quid in oil depending on what you do, so 120+ what ever else you want to start changing, say 80 quid for rings etc...

it wont be cheap, your better off buying a williams lump and just using it :P

Patrick_g46
24-08-2008, 00:47
just taking it apart is about 80 quid in gaskets
+20 - 40 quid in oil depending on what you do, so 120+ what ever else you want to start changing, say 80 quid for rings etc...

it wont be cheap, your better off buying a williams lump and just using it :P

yeh but a decent williams lump is like £500 isnt it? i suppose if i was going to bother rebuilding 1 i might aswell buy a shot willy lump and rebuild that? Would it be the same cost?

Wobba
24-08-2008, 07:51
If you are not in a hurry, buy a F7R engine mate and get it sorted with new gaskets, cam seals etc. Compression test it first to make sure it does not need skimming. If you are going to go the whole hog on it, check the piston rings out (take sump off, oil pump etc) and have a good look at the crankshaft and related parts in the block itself.

Once you have an engine apart and you have the time and space to work in, money is the only limit as to what you wanna do with it.

F7P is a good engine, but F7R is where it's at.

Patrick_g46
24-08-2008, 12:16
If you are not in a hurry, buy a F7R engine mate and get it sorted with new gaskets, cam seals etc. Compression test it first to make sure it does not need skimming. If you are going to go the whole hog on it, check the piston rings out (take sump off, oil pump etc) and have a good look at the crankshaft and related parts in the block itself.

Once you have an engine apart and you have the time and space to work in, money is the only limit as to what you wanna do with it.

F7P is a good engine, but F7R is where it's at.

So should i look to buy an F7R that needs work on it as it would be cheaper? how much would i be looking at just for doinjg gaskets and seals etc?

Patrick_g46
25-08-2008, 09:07
also how much could i pick up an F7R for?

Allan
25-08-2008, 10:51
seen then from as little as £250
but can go for upto £800 if they have already had some work or are very low miles