PDA

View Full Version : FAO Electrical boffins.

Dancliovalver
19-08-2008, 09:51
Now i dont really inderstand a word of this, we have a genius electrical person at work and he has sort of told me what to put here.

Basically, he wants to know the maxium wave form a 172 engine will put out and also the wav form going into the rev counter?

Hes pretty sure he will be able to get a Rev counter working on the 172 engined valvers but he needs to know the maxium pulse from the coil pack and so forth.

it really makes no sence what so ever to me, but im hoping some of you guys mite now :D

geesus
19-08-2008, 10:15
why is it that these things crop up AFTER i have spent money getting round the problem? lmao :roll:

people have got the rev counter to work, but it under reads by half due to the difference in pulses? iirc

i presume your man knows a piece of kit that can get round this?

my aftermarket digital tacho has a setup function for 2,4,6,8 cylinder engines, because i was taking only one signal from the dual pulse coil if i set it to 4 cylinder engine it would under read by half, but then set it to 2 cylinder and it reads fine. tells you in the instructions for it to do this on some engines that use a dual pulse coil pack :)

i dont understand electrics in any way, but i can't see why you can't rig up both coil signals to the rev counter and get it to read correctly? waaaay beyond knowledge though :oops:

Dancliovalver
19-08-2008, 10:37
well hes on about designing a little in-line circuit board which converts the pulse and so forth, hes an absolute genius, hes ortistic (sp), he cant read or write but he has a masters degree in electronics, hes very very clever so im hoping he will be able to come up with something :D

Dancliovalver
19-08-2008, 10:39
do u know how the guys managed to get the rev counter to work mate? maybe my man could make something which makes the rev counter read correctly after that?

really sorry i dont know anything about electronics eaither, its gobbledy gook to me

Dancliovalver
19-08-2008, 11:07
another question for you boys and girls

can anybody tell me the frequency of the pulse please?

white16valver
19-08-2008, 11:18
Will the frequency of the pulse rise in line with the revs?

This is a total guess by the way LOL

Dancliovalver
19-08-2008, 11:19
not a clue buddy, but thanks for the guess :wink:

any more takers :?:

Purple
19-08-2008, 11:21
people have got the rev counter to work, but it under reads by half due to the difference in pulses? iirc
Dancliovalver,
Well, if it under-reads consistently by half throughout the rev range, I would then think a 2x clock multiplier circuit would do the trick. I think that all the info he needs, aside from the voltage values (probably 0V - 5V).

Dancliovalver
19-08-2008, 11:24
kool kool, thank you very much

we hoping thats gunna be the easy way to do it, but just looking at other options incase that fails

secondly, which wire on the coil pack takes the pulse? its on a 172 coil pack buy the way :D

Purple
19-08-2008, 11:31
secondly, which wire on the coil pack takes the pulse? its on a 17poo coil pack buy the way :D
Sorry, not a clue there. Someone else should know that.

geesus
19-08-2008, 11:44
on the 172 coil pack there are 3 wires, one white and 2 others (cant remember the colours lol)

the white is the feed from the ignition relay, the other 2 are pulse wires :)

i took my signal for the aftermarket rev counter off one of the 2 coloured wires (not the white one!)

hope that helps you

Dancliovalver
19-08-2008, 11:48
yeah thats great thanks fella!

sorry to ask more stupid questions but which wire would be the wire i need to feed it to at the rev counter? its a phase 1 clio 16v gadge