PDA

View Full Version : PS Bracket removal

Wobba
16-08-2008, 17:28
Hello.

I am just trying to take off two little bolts on my water pump to replace it sa it is leaking badly.

It seems this is not possible as there is a very large bracket in the way which seems to be very hard to remove. I have undone all the bolts, which were not easy, and so it now wobbles, however, still not rnough room to get to the water pump bolts, and even if I could, putting them back on would be even harder probably.

There is another bracket it attaches to with bolts onto the back of the power steering pump.

I am unsure what to do, in fact I am considering just giving up as I cant get the pump off. I have been working on it for two days, am tired, pissed off, cuts to ribbons, bruised and havn't even taken the ****ing thing off yet. I am working in the street, not much fun, and have to have the car working by Monday.

What do I do?

u33db
16-08-2008, 18:05
You mean the bracket the pas pully sticks out of?

It is an arse of a job if you're stuck for space but shouldn't give problems;

- remove 4 big bolts on the bracket that spans the front of the block plus a little one that goes from it into the back of the pas pump.
- remove this bracket
- undo remaining 3 (IIRC) bolt on the remaining big bracket (one the pas pump sticks out of)

After that it should just come away?

Wobba
16-08-2008, 23:41
I am gonna give it a go tomorrow. I just run out of steam and get pissed off with it. I can see what needs to be done now but even so, what an arse of a job, just to change a part that suffers wear and tear. Who the hell though up that design? French Technicians, out to get me again as with the valver.

summeh
17-08-2008, 01:21
I dont think they gave it to much thought re servicing, thats the problem :lol:

lewis_willy2
17-08-2008, 07:08
I dont think they gave it to much thought re servicing, thats the problem :lol:

thats the same with all car manufacturers tho!

Wobba
18-08-2008, 20:22
Well, I got it out, or at least able to move about. I am dreading putting it all back together though...Jesus, what a job for a poxy pump.

Took the pump off, cant get it out as its blocked in by the pulley, can see inside and tbh although its leaking it looks brand new inside...no corrosion at all!

white16valver
19-08-2008, 08:22
Well done :)

You have more patience and perseverance than me with these things! lol

u33db
19-08-2008, 08:26
Get the chemical metal out - job done! lol

Wobba
19-08-2008, 09:07
Well done :)

You have more patience and perseverance than me with these things! lol

Well, for me it is another thing to cross off the list of jobs done :) I'd rather that, get a few muscles, and not pay a garage £300 to do it for me!

I hate the job itself, but the satisfaction of winning against the French engineers is worth it!

white16valver
19-08-2008, 09:31
Don't want to come and do my track rods, do you? ;) lol

Wobba
19-08-2008, 14:09
Not done those yet, but I will be on the Williams with track rods as well before long...will probably write about it soon.

Wobba
24-08-2008, 07:44
Water pump replaced yesterday, nice sunny day, hooray! All refitted along with a nice new expansion bottle and Renault green coolant ;)

And new main engine mount, as mine I found to be completely shagged.

Lets just hope it does not start lwaking again or I will be very upset!

What a shit job.