PDA

View Full Version : New sills - how easy to do?

alex_e3
16-08-2008, 11:34
As stated in title really.

The hybrid is stripped down to basically a shell, apart from the engine. The arches are being re-done with repair panels from a lower spec. I'm just wondering about doing the sills - they don't really need doing to be honest, but i'd rather do them now whilst the car's in this state, rather than having to do them at a later date.

Pretty sure the inner sills will be fine (famous last words!!!), so am looking to do just the outer sills on both sides.

Where do people cut the original sills? & how do they attach at the bottom, as have never done sills myself before? Also, what type of paint / stone chip / underseal do you put on them after they've been done?

Help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Al :-)

spikey-ben
16-08-2008, 16:04
Hi mate, im just in process of doing mine ive got old sill cut off and new one put on and i will be seam sealing and stone chipping it on monday. i will take some pics for you and explain how i done it then.
Cheers ben

alex_e3
17-08-2008, 10:41
Good man!

white16valver
18-08-2008, 08:44
Had one of mine done for the MOT - about £400 or so :(

spikey-ben
19-08-2008, 22:24
Hi,
dont attept to do it yourself is my advice now, one side on mine was quite simple but the drivers side is a nightmare. Im having to undo the work of a prevous owner who had the sill done before and it aint pretty to say the least. I would recomend you just bite the bullet and pay a pro to do it. If you live in lincolnshire i could hook you up with a contact of mine who is very talented at what he does (he's helping me with mine) and very resonable priced.
Sorry to put you off but if its done badly which mine had been it would have been very servere if i had a side impact and it also had the effect of causing more damage than good, which im currently repairing now.
Cheers Ben