PDA

View Full Version : Confused re: rack / tie rod issues...

white16valver
11-08-2008, 17:10
Right, as per the other thread: http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31126

I'm thinking about changing my track rods from rack to the other end (whatever it's called lol)

But I had a thought at the weekend...

How do I know it's Tie Rods with play in them (both of them are moving) and not the rack itself??

Should I just get a new/scondhand rack? Would a new one come with the tie/track rods attached??

I'm not even sure I can do either job but I can't afford £££ to get them done so will have to grow some balls and get stuck in :oops: :(

MAXIBOY
11-08-2008, 17:17
good question mate...

can usually see the play in the track/steering arms though..

new reconed rack would be better but cost more and is a pain to swap if its power steering..

its down to cost..new arms around the 80 quid mark plus fitting gaitors etc.

power steering rack 165.00 quid plus fitting...

if not doing them your selves i think about a hour difference in fitting time.

spikey-ben
12-08-2008, 10:10
Usally it the ball joints on the track rods that wear on these (the ones that go into fat part of rack), think there about 17 quid each from my local motor factors. Whilst your doing these i would put new track rod ends in as well but be carful with non genuine ones if your using wide track front end because the thread on the track rod end is shorter than the genuine williams item. It can be a bit dodgy when its tracked up, because you will only have a couple of threads in the track rod. :)

northy
12-08-2008, 10:33
you can pull on the tie arms to see if they are loose or have play in....they should be nice and stiff when removed from the hub and not fall down.

white16valver
12-08-2008, 12:04
Right, I better get one of those ball joint remover things then so I can get it separated from the wheel end and check for play properly lol

Although how do you get it back together??

I need help with this :oops: lol

Laine_16v
12-08-2008, 12:49
Usally it the ball joints on the track rods that wear on these (the ones that go into fat part of rack), think there about 17 quid each from my local motor factors. Whilst your doing these i would put new track rod ends in as well but be carful with non genuine ones if your using wide track front end because the thread on the track rod end is shorter than the genuine williams item. It can be a bit dodgy when its tracked up, because you will only have a couple of threads in the track rod. :)

Theres loads of thread available on valver rod ends when using wide track.