PDA

View Full Version : Scraping Noise In Gear

Robertio
07-08-2008, 09:57
Am currently a couple of hundred miles from home (so no tools or ramps) and my clutch/gearbox (Williams) has suddenly started making noise:

When in gear (normally, but not always) it sounds like when something is stuck between a brake pad and disc - the metal scraping sound. As soon as you put the clutch in or stick it in neutral the noise goes away. Any ideas?

When the revs go up (over 5k rpm) the noise seems to go away.

The car had a new gearbox around the start of the year, but as I didn't do the work myself cannot say what was/was not done (it has done a few thousand miles since then). I've not seen any signs of fluid leaking so can only assume the box is still full of transmission fluid (I drained and put fresh in a couple of months back). It doesn't sound like a usual bearing noise, more like something scraping.

Allan
07-08-2008, 13:20
release bearing possibly

spikey-ben
08-08-2008, 18:40
i had this exact same problem a couple of months ago, it was the pressure plate on my clutch broke apart and the rattle was it colliding with bell housing and scrapeing it. I thought it was reliease bearing on mine aswell untill i stripped it. Having said that 135000 miles on 1 clutch aint bad going.
Hope this help you out.
Cheers Ben

Rob72
08-08-2008, 20:57
when you press the clutch pedal the noise disappears..if its the release bearing....usually the case.

Robertio
09-08-2008, 10:03
Thanks, I'll just ignore it until I get home next week. Looks like an expensive & time consuming couple of weeks ahead for the Clio before MOT time (front shocks, downpipe, this, o/s hub...).