PDA

View Full Version : Tips for seized/nearly siezed torsion bar pls

u33db
02-08-2008, 16:38
As per my project report i lowered the rsi today but hit problems with the torsion bar...seized in due to rust!

Does anyone have any tips advise for freeing it off?

I tried heating it, loads of wd40 but still no joy!

Half tempted to put it in somewhere but would they do any better than me?

Help!

schakal
02-08-2008, 16:46
As per my project report i lowered the rsi today but hit problems with the torsion bar...seized in due to rust!

Does anyone have any tips advise for freeing it off?

I tried heating it, loads of wd40 but still no joy!

Half tempted to put it in somewhere but would they do any better than me?

Help!

for the best results drop the axle .

if you dont want to do that its worth grinding the
ends of the arms untill you can clearly see the splines
than give it another go with the bolt/socket etc

u33db
02-08-2008, 16:55
Hmm....don't really want drop the axle so grinding seems to be the way to go then....i think it is just the lip in front of the bar that is causing it.

Will retry tomorrow.

BTW, is there an alternative to the socket+bolt tool? i.e. something more 'brute force'?

Lunner
03-08-2008, 11:22
Ditch the wd-40 and get some plus gas and soak it ad leave it for a few hours and repeat.

The alternative is a slide hammer, that might shock it enough to break the rust seal

number1
03-08-2008, 12:22
id try a socket over the outer end where the torsion bar pulls through, put a bolt and a washer through it and wind up until theres tension on it, then add some heat to the outer and inner splines, got to go then

Dave

Lunner
03-08-2008, 14:44
Thats what he is doing.

RSI, i'm 90% sure has a closed torsion bar,. so can't get to the inners to lube/heat them

u33db
03-08-2008, 17:01
Didn't have a chance to retry today as was on grass cutting detail - it was up to my arse so took hours to cut down. :(

Torsion bar is open on this one so heating the inner stuff is an option.

Is there any disadvantages of going the grinding route though?

Don't want it falling out or anything!

Clio_GTT
04-08-2008, 18:02
Give it a good smacking with a sledge hammer

number1
04-08-2008, 20:40
Just wind the "tool" on as you would then apply the heat, more chance of going if theres a bit of tension on it

McPikie
04-08-2008, 21:57
It needs lashings of plus-gas, and get someone to tap the bars with a hammer, close to the inner-end, while you're twisting the tool