PDA

View Full Version : battery relocation

gazz81
26-07-2008, 22:14
does anyone know the best place to buy battery cable from, I'm relocating my battery to the boot so will need quite alot.

Also can I just extend the postive cable from the engine bay to the boot and remove the negative battery conector from the engine bay, bolt directly to the chassis and fit the battery in the boot with a chassis mounted earth, or is it better to run a full cable from the boot to the old negative terminal in the engine bay?

Coops
26-07-2008, 22:47
just run a positive to the boot, make sure u use a proper isolated connection block inside the engine bay tho to keep it safe!

re-earth the main neg terminal strap to the body as u said then just bolt the new neg in the boot to the seat mount or similar, making sure to sand any paint off the bodywork to get a good contact

lewis_willy2
27-07-2008, 16:24
should the cable be fused say 12 inches from the battery when its in the boot.

just a query as ive blown the 60A fuse that im using which is about 20 inches from the battery, its just a car amp fuse from the local halfords?

if it needs fusing what size is recomended?

if not then i must get my soldering iron out :D

Twincam
28-07-2008, 21:31
no need to fuse it, just wire it all the way to the front

Would recommend putting in a battery cut off switch or even better a fia kill switch although you dont need one

ant84
28-07-2008, 22:38
i did as coops said and ran a positive from front to back and the batt went dead!! brought a new one and same happend so i put it back in the front and no problems spoke to a car shop they said u must have the negitvie from engine to batt or it wont charge up and the alitnator is just spining for no reason.

so when i get money i will be running another cable to the back to front for negitive. :evil:

lewis_willy2
28-07-2008, 23:16
no need. should just earth it in the boot. im using the boot hatch lock, yet to be moved to the seat belt anchor.

aslong as you have a splitter for the two cables in the front of the car going to 1 cable which runs to the boot there shouldnt be any issues.

i am yet to discover if my alternator is doing its job tho :oops:

chees for the heads up on the fuse twincam

Twincam
29-07-2008, 19:57
Yea had no problems with mine being earthed in the boot. Mines just earthed to the boot floor

Definetly dont bother running another cable alot of extra cost and weight :D

no problems lewis always like to help when i can

cliorod
30-07-2008, 06:32
This might help.
Although it is a "Varley Red Top" :lol: ~~ It still has to be earthed,as seen in the picture.
Rod

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Cliorod/008.jpg

ant84
30-07-2008, 10:23
no need. should just earth it in the boot. im using the boot hatch lock, yet to be moved to the seat belt anchor.

aslong as you have a splitter for the two cables in the front of the car going to 1 cable which runs to the boot there shouldnt be any issues.

i am yet to discover if my alternator is doing its job tho :oops:

chees for the heads up on the fuse twincam

do u mean split the positive cable or the negitive??

when i did it i ran postive from front to back and then earthed the engine in the engine bay and then earthed the batt to the seat belt anchor but the batt never stayed charged thats why the guys in the shop said i must run an earth cable from engine to batt as well as earth in front and boot lol id like to see one already done so i know what im aiming for .

McPikie
30-07-2008, 12:18
i did as coops said and ran a positive from front to back and the batt went dead!! brought a new one and same happend so i put it back in the front and no problems spoke to a car shop they said u must have the negitvie from engine to batt or it wont charge up and the alitnator is just spining for no reason.

so when i get money i will be running another cable to the back to front for negitive. :evil:

Ant, did you earth the wire in the bay correctly or leave it dangling?

Also, you have to make sure the earth in the boot is tip-****ing-top.

I would recommend anyone doing this to get the thickest cable you can afford. Like 0awg or 2awg