PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure sensor issues

Daz.
16-07-2008, 19:29
Its never properly worked on this car, the others were fine but the gauge is dead until it randomly jumps into life after about 10 mins of driving - then it jumps upto 3 does what its supposed to then gives up again not long after...

I've swapped the clocks and its not those so it must either be the wiring or the actual sensor itself

I've read the easiest way is to take off the drivers wheel and get to it that way but I don't know what I'm looking for :lol:

Or even how to diagnose if its indeed the wiring - so help! :wink:

MAXIBOY
16-07-2008, 19:59
its a little black round sender screwed it to the block behind the idler wheel..

has a single spade connector on the top..if it works randomly then i guess its just this single wire thats loose...crimp it a little tighter..

Daz.
16-07-2008, 20:22
Right cheers fella I'll have a look at the weekend, is that the best way or can I get it from above?

MAXIBOY
16-07-2008, 20:26
can get it from above as you only need to get the wire sorted...if changing the sender from the arch as you need to get a spanner on the bottom of it.

richy
16-07-2008, 21:04
the ph2 wiring looms ive seen have a black plug just above the starter motor, has 1 wire so cant miss it, they have the spade as such but it was soldered/crimped and sealed on mine(brand spanker pressure sensor from reno btw)

Daz.
16-07-2008, 21:14
How much was that out of curiosity incase this doesn't fix the problem??

Also how the hell does unplugging the oil clocks then plugging them back in manage to make 2 of the 3 bulbs decide to give up - WHEN WHEN!!! I've put it all back together :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol:

richy
16-07-2008, 21:16
wasnt cheap at all mate, close to 3 figures iirc

will try dig the reciept out but no idea what i did with it lol

Daz.
17-07-2008, 06:22
Ahh right think its £93 odd - well if its that it'll have to wait chuffing thing :lol:

Daz.
18-07-2008, 06:36
Right some progress with this its deffo not the dials, I gave the wire a damn good wiggle and went for a drive - nothing then yowzers we have a reading! carried on fine until bleh it had gone then came back.

Switched car off for a few hours got back in nothing... few mins into drive yowzers mk2! then died again - couldn't play with it as the manifold was too hot..

Would you say thats a wiring issue or a sender issue? I've never seen it read until its upto temp then it seems to come to life occasionally

When you start the car and rev from cold does it immediately start bouncing around? I genuinely can't remember what my valver used to do...

The fact that it starts working and stays working for a while over all kinds of bumps confuses me, then when the cars off overnight its not playing ball or will when theres a bit of warmth in the engine..

Sorry about the long post but electrical gemlins are my pet hate and even if its not accurate its still pretty handy as afterall we all like a bit o' pressure in't 'thend :D

Daz.
18-07-2008, 06:37
I meant the connector on the back of the block that got a wiggle :oops:

Daz.
18-07-2008, 17:10
:ninja:

u33db
18-07-2008, 18:19
matbrown not got a spare you can try/buy to save hassle?

Daz.
18-07-2008, 18:51
Aye well I guess thats the next step after re-crimping the wiring