PDA

View Full Version : I missed out getting one when they were launched...however..

Wobba
14-07-2008, 00:27
I am now the proud owner of both my Tungsten Valver...and No. 217 of 400, a Williams 1. WOOOOHOOOOO!!!

It's had 2 owners, has a Renault replaced JC5 gearbox/final drive etc, pretty damn good bodywork and is completely standard. Drives superbly pulls like a mule and has been thoroughly checked for problems by myself and Arj256...the man who wrote the book on Williams buying, bring it on!

All for a very reasonable price :D You might say: BARGAIN!!!!

Now the decision has to be made on whether to track slag the valver, or keep it relatively standard and sell her...which would be a shame, as I have made it a damn fine auromobile now and it owes me, big time!

I'm collecting the Willy tomorrow, at which point I will start a new project thread, hopefully not has hard going as Project: Wobba!

Pics to follow...

Many thanks to Adam. Dude: You're the man!

summeh
14-07-2008, 01:56
nice one mate... just use the willy for trackdays if you plan to do some though :wink:

Wobba
14-07-2008, 09:44
I guess, it's just I'll miss the grey rocket!

wavy
14-07-2008, 10:15
8) nice 1 getting the new williams
track the valver :twisted:

Wobba
14-07-2008, 13:34
Tell ya what, hopping out of the valver, then to Willy, then Valver again...there is quite a difference. Valver brakes pwn my Williams brakes at the moment, but the overall setup on Williams is superior, full stop.

The torque is the other difference. I can get about the same amount of torque but need to be higher in the rev range on the valver. Valver still makes for an entertaining drive though! It just does not inspire the same confidence.

Given a bit of fine tuning, I think the valver could be better than it is though, as my tracking is out at mo, which does not help, but is easily sorted :)

Coops
14-07-2008, 15:37
good work mate, i need to own a williams at some point 8)

Daz.
14-07-2008, 16:14
I hated going back to a valver from the willy - you don't notice the leap up from 16v to willy as much as much as the other way round.

Wobba
14-07-2008, 16:55
Thanks guys :D

I think your car is great Coops, I am sure it is able to outrun most Willies as it is already ;)

Big day for me...it all started here, in 1995:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/2008-07-14-1647-14.jpg

I had the cash then, but missed the run, bought early Scooby instead...now I've gone full circle! Yay!

Wobba
14-07-2008, 16:56
I have just realised how sad that is to keep a letter from 1995 lol. It was amongst a bunch of shite I found the other day! Sadly my original Willy brochure got weat and pages stuck together ;)

MikeTCB
14-07-2008, 17:09
Nice one Wobba - I recently got one after wanting one for years as well. Am looking forward to some pics!

doug2.0
14-07-2008, 17:45
well in wobba :lol: sounds like our persuasion worked well :wink:
i take it your one of the older lot if you were in the run in to buy one 13 years ago

Wobba
14-07-2008, 23:48
well in wobba :lol: sounds like our persuasion worked well :wink:
i take it your one of the older lot if you were in the run in to buy one 13 years ago

Indeed ;)

I stil lget asked for ID though :)

Coops
15-07-2008, 00:14
Sadly my original Willy brochure got weat and pages stuck together ;)

and your sticking to that story are you.............

2 live
15-07-2008, 00:14
congrats mate. sounds a minter.

robi1000
15-07-2008, 07:52
Welcome mate, to the wonderful never ending story of Williams mending. :D Imagine how skillful will you become now, when you bought Williams. Not only you have to know how to replace parts, but also must source them first (at least here in EU that's art of its own). :D Anyway, I wish you a lot of safe and fast miles in your new car! I'm sure you'll get addicted! :wink:

Wobba
15-07-2008, 14:16
Sadly my original Willy brochure got weat and pages stuck together ;)

and your sticking to that story are you.............

Arf! Sure am :wink:

I think I am already addicted robi, and yes, sourcing parts could be a pain lol. I was going to get a new nearside door bumpstrip...only to find it's a Willy1 only item haha, typical!

The body is in very good order.

Will sort new tyres, and tracking is a tiny bit out.
It has a TOW BAR lol. Will unbolt that too for weight saving.
Will sort some faulty minor electrics.
Refurb wheels.
I'll replace most of the cheaper ignition parts, sparks, HT leads etc
Full fluids service.
Coolant flushing, and clean the expansion bottle while I am at it or replace.
Adjust clutch cable, and throttle cable a tiny bit.
Deep polish for long lasting shine.

....then I'l be after more power and better brakes 8)

Daz.
15-07-2008, 17:20
^^^ not keeping it standard then!

Wobba
16-07-2008, 00:53
^^^ not keeping it standard then!

I will at first but its already insured as having a magnex system so I may as well....hehe.

I'll keep air filter standard though, and after tonights insane and very intense test drive, the OEM brakes are nicely deglazed after being stood for ages, so they are ok, but may need a bit more if I go to track.

Not yet used to the 6500 rpm limit yet, after the valvers 7.1k. I may remap it a little, but I'll leave it standard for now and just get on with making sure everything is working as it should and its in tip top shape, replacing any worn parts and simple servicing.

Oh boy, life has just got a lot more interesting...