PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint Coming Loose

donsrno1
11-07-2008, 20:26
I've got a bit of a problem with the passenger side balljoint on the hybrid. Where its normally fixed by the pinch bolt it keeps coming loose so that it can move a little from one side to the other, the ball joint itself is kept in the hub by the groove that the pinch bolt slots into but there is a bit of movement there.

This happened before so I replaced the ball joint and torqued everything up correctly. I then checked it every few days for a couple of weeks and it was fine. However I started to hear a clunking noise when I was going over speed bumps recently and so I re-checked it (probably a couple of months since I replaced the B/Joint first time) and its come loost again. Has anyone any ideas as to what could be causing this?

The first time it happened I had not long since lowered the car and I have a feeling that it may be to do with the car being so low and my area being littered with speed bumps. In order to get over them I have to go over one side of them so that one side of the car is on the road and the other goes over the centre of the speed bump. The reason I think this might be part of the problem is that its only when I go over speedbumps that I can hear any noise to indicate that the balljoint has come looses.

Anyway, has anyone else had anything like this or have any suggestions as to what I could try to solve the problem? When I was looking at it it looked as though the actual pinch bolt had not turned at all so as to loosen and when I removed and re-tightened it the ball joint seemed fine again. It had occured to me to try changing the hub itself but I don't know if that would be likely to be a possible cause of the problem?

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

wavy
11-07-2008, 20:50
are you using original parts or copy
no ideas other than tighten it and use lock tight ?

donsrno1
11-07-2008, 21:33
are you using original parts or copy
no ideas other than tighten it and use lock tight ?

Already used lock tight before and it was was using a ball joint from a local motor factors - not genuine renault. However, the problem was there with the old ball joint as well so I don't think thats what is at fault.

donsrno1
11-07-2008, 22:04
I've just checked it again and after just a couple of days with fairly limited driving it has come loose a tad again. Do you reckon its safe enough to drive like this? I would imagine so as the pinch bolt will only have the forces on it when the balljoint is pulling downwards but I don't want anything snapping when I'm driving down the road as that could end with a bad result. I will see what responses I get on here but think I will try and replace the hub early next week and see if that sorts things.

richy
11-07-2008, 22:12
i have seen one where the hole in the hub for the ball joint had ovalled slightly which allowed it to move about even though the pinch bolt was tight as!

if the pinch bolt is def tight enough and not coming loose and it did it before with the other ball joints id check the hub is ok.