PDA

View Full Version : vernier pullies (chocolate or not)

hybridhughes
08-07-2008, 19:51
i have bought a set of kent rn2002 cams and pullies, i have heard so many horror stories about there pullies, just want to know if they are the lesser quality ones, also if they are would i be ok with them as i only do very little mileage and some trackdays, can anyone give me an indication as to how much more power i will gain with the cams the car made 161bhp and 142 lbs ft of torque already on rs tunings rrd but have yet to fit the cams.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/hybridhughes/Photo0015.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/hybridhughes/Photo0013.jpg
any help/ideas would be great

MAXIBOY
08-07-2008, 19:56
i've seen a few fail but loads that haven't also...should be ok but can never tell..swapped mine as i got some cat cams cheap but would of run mine otherwise..

tony16v
08-07-2008, 21:15
Mine failed.... D'Oh

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p362/tony_16V/carpics0031.jpg

You need to make sure that the bolts are thread locked... as I think mine worked loose....

Also the latest kent pullies seem to have different bolts... might be worth double checking before you fit them...

richy
08-07-2008, 21:25
there the older type 'chocolate' pulleys!

they now have a revised set although no idea how good they are!

hybridhughes
08-07-2008, 21:31
so if i loctite the bolts then fingers crossed i should be ok?

MAXIBOY
08-07-2008, 21:35
make sure there the 12.9 type torque to 14nm and loctite..

then keep your fingers crossed :lol:

northy
08-07-2008, 21:49
i sent mine back and they came back with new harder bolts!

hybridhughes
08-07-2008, 22:01
so is it worth me taking the bolts to my local nut/bolt suppliers and ask them for some uprated bolts the same? then a few gallons of loctite lol

MAXIBOY
08-07-2008, 22:06
yes mate and replace the missing cup too.

FlamingMonkey
08-07-2008, 22:11
I have those ones in mine

hybridhughes
08-07-2008, 22:15
thanks for that i never noticed the missing cup.
flamingmonkey did you notice much difference in performance once you had your cams fit?

speed
09-07-2008, 06:27
i was talking about this on sat with cliorod, he has the same pullys and he managed to notice the bolts on his kent pullys was catching on the timing cover, he had to machine the cover a little..... so maybe the pullys was never at fault................../

cliorod
09-07-2008, 06:42
Yes cheers for that Jamie,
I had put a normal cam cover on,that I had powder coated,fired up the motor ~~ such a din !!!!,. :( :( Stopped it took the cover off,and all the retaining bolts/capscrews had rubbed against the inside bosses :cry: :cry: .I got onto Neil ( ex Prima) who built the motor,who said he had one sorted when he built it ~~~~~ooops my mistake for picking up the wrong one etc etc :oops: :oops: .
Anyway Kent were more than happy to replace the old "socket" style capscrews with the modified and in my view better countersunk screws.I have machined all my cam covers now,except the one in the pictures with carbon fibre covers :lol: :lol:

FlamingMonkey
09-07-2008, 09:07
thanks for that i never noticed the missing cup.
flamingmonkey did you notice much difference in performance once you had your cams fit?

Well at first I did, I had then timed as standard, car went like stink, but drove like a pig, if you didn;t have your foot down it kangaroo'd like a ****er, im guessing somethign wasn;t quite right somewhere, anyway so I had them timed to Kents spec and it ran perfectly, didn't feel a massive difference, then I had it mapped and it came alive, coud deffo tell the difference then, especially the 2 map I had done as I took off the crappy valver manifold and went back to th willy item, got a lambda etc, the 2nd tweaked map was the most impressive, thats what im running with still.

schakal
09-07-2008, 09:40
slightly off topic but i feel the urge to ask seeing so
many heavy cammers here :P

hand on heart ,considering buying the cams pullies ,getting them set up and than mapped cost well over a grand(can probably buy a full 172 setup for that)
would you say its money well spent or ...errrmmmm not ?

Laine_16v
09-07-2008, 10:29
This confirms that the kent pulleys i was using are the newer revised type, cos they dont look like the ones in the original post :D

FlamingMonkey
09-07-2008, 11:34

hand on heart ,considering buying the cams pullies ,getting them set up and than mapped cost well over a grand(can probably buy a full 17poo setup for that)

If you mean would I put a 172 engine in a Mk1?

I would still go down the williams route, my mk2 doesn't seem to pull from the off like the Williams, plus spend a grand on a Williams engine and its got more power, mines over 180hp now for less than 1k, or you could spend the 1k on a 172 engine and be down on power, obv spend 1k on a 172 engine and it will have more power, but you have spent more from the off.

It's all down to preference I believe

schakal
09-07-2008, 11:57

hand on heart ,considering buying the cams pullies ,getting them set up and than mapped cost well over a grand(can probably buy a full 17poo setup for that)

If you mean would I put a 17poo engine in a Mk1?

I would still go down the williams route, my mk2 doesn't seem to pull from the off like the Williams, plus spend a grand on a Williams engine and its got more power, mines over 180hp now for less than 1k, or you could spend the 1k on a 17poo engine and be down on power, obv spend 1k on a 17poo engine and it will have more power, but you have spent more from the off.

It's all down to preference I believe

thats kinda what i meant .
so can you tell what exact work is done to your standard
williams engine for less than 1k to get up to that 180bhp ??

FlamingMonkey
09-07-2008, 12:56
Well mine has been RR'd at 180ish I can't remember exactly how its all worked out, but mine has decat, powerflow exhaust, kent cams, kent pulleys and remap, thats all, I didn't really class the exhaust in the 1k as most people seem to have them fitted, cams, remap and pulleys are coming in at around a grand in my book.

It's not the fastest Williams out there, but it can hold its own :P

When it had just an exhaust on it, it was over the 150bhp standard quoted output, can't remember what but it was about 140ish at the wheels back then, was so long ago.

Remember its not about the power figures its how it drives, and mine drives supreme hehe

schakal
09-07-2008, 13:19
Well mine has been RR'd at 180ish I can't remember exactly how its all worked out, but mine has decat, powerflow exhaust, kent cams, kent pulleys and remap, thats all, I didn't really class the exhaust in the 1k as most people seem to have them fitted, cams, remap and pulleys are coming in at around a grand in my book.

It's not the fastest Williams out there, but it can hold its own :P

When it had just an exhaust on it, it was over the 150bhp standard quoted output, can't remember what but it was about 140ish at the wheels back then, was so long ago.

Remember its not about the power figures its how it drives, and mine drives supreme hehe

ayee i got a s/s system and a decat ,i dont class them as mods now :P

its strange how you can get 30bhp though :shock: :shock:
what exact kent cams are these than ?? what do they idle like ??
and most importantly where did you get the mapping done ??

FlamingMonkey
09-07-2008, 14:08
not 30bhp with the cams, the car with just an exhaust was over 150, so really another 20bhp or so.

Car with exhaust was 131.5 at wheels IIRC at RE in Bury, so crude way of working it, add 10 divide by 0.9 = 157 at Fly

After being mapped mine made 154.5 at Chipwizards which rougly works out at 181 at fly, using the above method wich isn't too far off really.

Gotta take the results with a pinch of salt as diff roller diff days etc.

Mine are RN2002's with the Kent Pulleys, timed to Kents spec
It was mapped by Wayne at Chipwizards

schakal
09-07-2008, 14:23
not 30bhp with the cams, the car with just an exhaust was over 150, so really another 20bhp or so.

Car with exhaust was 131.5 at wheels IIRC at RE in Bury, so crude way of working it, add 10 divide by 0.9 = 157 at Fly

After being mapped mine made 154.5 at Chipwizards which rougly works out at 181 at fly, using the above method wich isn't too far off really.

Gotta take the results with a pinch of salt as diff roller diff days etc.

Mine are RN2002's with the Kent Pulleys, timed to Kents spec
It was mapped by Wayne at Chipwizards

sorry to bug you with all the questions but i am trying to get a fair idea
as i might be jumping on the same boat very soon .

these RN 2002 s are similar to piper "FAST ROAD" cams right ??
are the ones you got regrinds or made from blanks ??

last question honest :D
how much does it cost and how long does it take
to get the cams fitted and mapped .

FlamingMonkey
09-07-2008, 14:43
No probs about the questions.

Im not sure if they are the same as fast road cams to be honest RN2002's are the model number, although a lot of people dont recommend them now as they appear to cause failures, more particularlary the pulleys.

Mine were from blanks, I didn't like the idea of regrinds, no reason why to be honest I just though feck it and go for blanks.

I got my cams fitted, new cambelt etc and timed cheap (£150ish) I think he didn't know what was involved time wise, I supplied all the parts though, I know for a fact he wouldn't be that cheap next time :P

I paid 300-350 for the remap, but this was all a while ago and the prices aren't 100% they are from memory.

My cams were fitted and timed in a day

The map took a short day if that, took longer to get hold of Wayne :D

schakal
09-07-2008, 17:41
fook me :shock: :shock:
thats 300 for mapping and say 300 for fitting the cams ?

is there any harm in using a head & ecu allready fitted with cams
and mapped on my existing meggy b/e ??
cause thats like saving 600quid :shock:

richy
09-07-2008, 19:12

hand on heart yes defo, untill u go in coops turbo then you just want 300bhp! lol

mine has catcam 225s/catcams pulleys/headwork and remapped, was quick with the cams in but after the remap the car has defo come alive, love how well it pulls from 2k rpm on! picks up miles better then my 182 and sounds awesome on idle

i used to have kent cams and kent pulleys a few year ago in my williams, never had any problem with them catching on the cover, ran them for about 1k but took them out due to money issues at time, northy still hasnt fitted them! lol

FlamingMonkey
09-07-2008, 21:04
fook me :shock: :shock:
thats 300 for mapping and say 300 for fitting the cams ?

is there any harm in using a head & ecu allready fitted with cams
and mapped on my existing meggy b/e ??
cause thats like saving 600quid :shock:

I dont know mate to be honest its beyond me all this, all I can tell you is what I've done, no idea how it done though, I just did the same as 2live, bought williams, bought cams, got it mapped and was happy :lol:

Best having a word with Stan or similar, no idea if it would work fine like that as I did mine in a relatively short space of time.