PDA

View Full Version : Help with temps....

Daz.
03-07-2008, 18:07
I'd like to know where people believe the needle is supposed to be in normal driving conditions and when the fan kicks in.

Both my old clios and the willy have been really good with temps but after its service Monday and fixing my stuttery idle the car seems to go way over what I would deem the normal operating temps..

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Daz0rz/temps.jpg

The green line used to be normal driving temp and the yellow one was where the fan would usually kick in...

Now the orange line is normal driving temp and the red line is where the fan kicks in.

I'm not happy to be honest I think its way too high but Jamie at the garage who is the only person I trust to work on my car thinks that thats normal from his experience.

Could it be a false reading? the car doesn't feel to me any hotter than it was but I wanted your opinions.

teabag
03-07-2008, 18:13
strange that

my valver rt runs same as urs used to (green line, fan is on an ignition live and it never runs hotter than the yellow line)

but my mates clio (coops' old one) runs mega hot orange and red line, seems ok, just gets warm in the car lol

Daz.
03-07-2008, 18:23
gen ren sensors as opposed to what I can only guess are pattern parts?

Rich
03-07-2008, 18:30
seems higher than any of my clios used to run but i used to run a low temp fan switch.

if your worried get a low temp stat in there or switch mate

Daz.
03-07-2008, 18:34
Think I will I liked it on my valver.

Someone said that low temp stats and sensors were just another cars normal ones? can anyone tell me what that was so I can get them?

Daz.
03-07-2008, 19:38
Right just been out again and I'm not having it - I don't like how high it sits now - so its going back!

wavy
03-07-2008, 19:42
if the car is moving it hardly even reaches the 1st set of marks
usualy stays at 1st big mark

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/wavydavyuk/temps.jpg

white16valver
03-07-2008, 19:44
Mine runs the lower pair of temperatures too - think yours are definitely too high!

I think the thermostat is a shared renault / citroen part - I don't know why I have that in my head but I do... lol

Time before last I went to GSF and the one they gave me had 86 stamped on it so was a Low Temp one anyway - Last time they gave me an 89 one I think! Random! :lol:

white16valver
03-07-2008, 19:45
if the car is moving it hardly even reaches the 1st set of marks
usualy stays at 1st big mark

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/wavydavyuk/temps.jpg
If yours is running at the purple mark then you've got a fooked thermostat as it's running constantly open!

Get it changed - even I can do it LoL :lol:

wavy
03-07-2008, 20:01
yes it runs at that mark unless i stand still in traffic then it rises
then fan cuts in fine
i have no probs so aint changing nothing :lol:

Daz.
03-07-2008, 20:34
I'd rather have it higher than that though fella - I'm not upto date on actual temps but I'd say yours is running a bit cooler than I'd like for an all round pasting :twisted:

richy
03-07-2008, 20:40
mine sits at the larger white line below your green line, and my fan kicks in at the green line normally.

northy
03-07-2008, 20:41
standard fan should cut in at yellow

wavy
03-07-2008, 20:43
i dunno iv had it over 2 years and its all ways been like that
it copes quite well i dunno the down fall ?

Coops
03-07-2008, 21:06
mines same as richys and its turboed, but me and him both run low temp stat and switch 8)

richy
03-07-2008, 22:31
mines same as richys and its turboed, but me and him both run low temp stat and switch 8)

correctamundo

cliokiz
03-07-2008, 22:55
My fan cuts in at the orange mark on a standard fan switch.

Temps float below or around the green mark on normal driving with a low temp thermostat.

If your fan doesn't cut in until the red mark thats far too high, and if it sits at the orange mark during normal driving thats definately too hot.

Purple
04-07-2008, 02:21
Both my old clios and the willy have been really good with temps but after its service Monday and fixing my stuttery idle the car seems to go way over what I would deem the normal operating temps.
My fan switch activates slightly below the yellow mark. Am using the standard fan switch.

teabag
04-07-2008, 20:31
i swapped my spark plugs today and the plugs holes where a little oily, so i left the car to run for 40mins on the drive with the bonnet off (been hot today aswell) and the temp never went higher than the first big mark before the green line 8) pleased with that personally

northy
04-07-2008, 20:37
thats too high daz, should run normally at the major mark just under green and fanshould cut in at yellow

white16valver
04-07-2008, 21:08
yes it runs at that mark unless i stand still in traffic then it rises
then fan cuts in fine
i have no probs so aint changing nothing :lol:
I left mine for ages and it's never been the same since :(

BRUN
04-07-2008, 21:20
ive had both normal and low temp stuff in

mine runs normally on green, and fan cuts in around orange, or below but never above

the OE thermostat is 89c, and personally id stick with that, with a low temp stat it opens too soon and you get quite a lot of up and down temp fluctuations until it settles which can take a while

Daz.
04-07-2008, 21:28
All sorted chaps, popped another sender on and it works perfectly now - looks like a faulty one was to blame :D

Matty86
05-07-2008, 01:34
just to confirm that my standard valver sits at green and the fan cuts in at yellow

also, my valver with the fully rebuilt engine (i.e. mint cooling system, new matrix etc..) does the same

katbloke
05-07-2008, 09:04
my fan would cut in at the green line but i do have a bbpt low temp fan switch

Jamie.
05-07-2008, 10:28
My car normally runs at the first major bar (same as richy). However if the air temp is high 25dc say and I am on the motorway at 80mph it rises to your 'normal' old i.e. the green line.

Mattie
05-07-2008, 13:19
my williams used to run at the purple mark, changed my stat and all was good :D id change it asap mate as you dont want your car running that cool in the winter!

my fan used to kick in around the green / yellow mark

Allan
07-07-2008, 01:14
my williams runs normaly at the first mark (below the green one) then the fan kicks in at the yellow mark (my old valver used to do the same too), but my dimma runs at the green mark and the fan kicks in at the yellow again, i thought this ran a little hot and was looking for ways to cool it :S