PDA

View Full Version : Williams 1 or 3 you tell me

knocker
01-07-2008, 15:02
Looking to buy a williams 1or 3 that a 2 5 years ago looking to but another just for sunny days and weekends do i go for a williams 1 original but older and will have more miles on it.Or a 3 with low miles sunroof what will hold its money better lookindg to pay about 4k.Anyone know of a nice mint car for sale Just joined the forumThanks Robert.

u33db
01-07-2008, 15:11
Steer clear of clio sunroofs unless you own a wetsuit!

northy
01-07-2008, 15:22
get the best one u can afford mate.....1, 2 or a 3!

Smudger
01-07-2008, 16:36
go for a 2, they are the best ones :P

bill.
01-07-2008, 16:56
i had a 3. loved it, but if i where to buy another williams i think it would be a 1 or a 2, as said sunroofs leak and for some reason the 3's seem to suffer from rust more, dont ask why but the ones i've seen seem to suffer from rust more, including mine :(

busterhymes
01-07-2008, 16:56
what makes one williams model better than another ??

J o n
01-07-2008, 17:13
I owned a 2, the 3 looked the best (colour is nicer) but get a 1. Willy 1 is worth more, it's lighter and has the plaque. No point getting a 2 or 3, may as well get a hybrid instead imo. I only bought my 2 due to the low miles, mintness of the paint work and service history, but mainly because I was going to use and abuse it daily.

Ivor Williams
01-07-2008, 17:15
Just buy the most looked after/pristine Williams you can find for £4k, regardless of model no./mileage etc.

The original Williams was the only one to get a numbered plaque on the dash, so that (arguably makes them a TAD more desirable/valuable).

FATBOY
01-07-2008, 18:03
i had a 3. loved it, but if i where to buy another williams i think it would be a 1 or a 2, as said sunroofs leak and for some reason the 3's seem to suffer from rust more, dont ask why but the ones i've seen seem to suffer from rust more, including mine :(

why do people keep saying that???? wheres the proof??????? what makes the shell which is the same shell just 1/2/3 years younger rot more than the same shells that are 1/2/3 years older?????

Daz.
01-07-2008, 19:11
No point getting a 2 or 3, may as well get a hybrid instead imo.daily.

LMAO - if your saying that then we should all just go get a hybrid, widetrack it and superglue some gold on the dash.

northy
01-07-2008, 19:43

why do people keep saying that???? wheres the proof??????? what makes the shell which is the same shell just 1/2/3 years younger rot more than the same shells that are 1/2/3 years older?????

the 3's rust the most in my books paul. Look how many 3's have been broken on here than 1's

Jamie.
01-07-2008, 19:53
I don't share TheJesus's opinions regarding 2 and 3's and hyrbids (Cheeky cunt :wink: ) but he is right - a one is the way forward.

Daz.
01-07-2008, 20:07

the 3's rust the most in my books paul. Look how many 3's have been broken on here than 1's

It's like Mat was saying the other week and its true - towards the end of a cars life they're already thinking of the next model, they just throw them out till they've got the new generation ready - with the first models they rely on customers feedback and purchases to even warrant the next model.

Jamie.
01-07-2008, 20:11
Well I hardly think a Renault Clio at the best of times is lovingly put together.

I would say that the conditions produced in are generic but you have to wonder what could possibly be the difference. Obviously 1 and 2's are a different colour and possibly be something dropped on the production of the 3?

J o n
01-07-2008, 22:21
dont get me wrong lads, the 2's and 3's are still fantastic cars, but if I was doing it all again even though I like the Ph2 bits more I'd still only consider a Willy 1, otherwise I'd just buy a hybrid. The 2 I had ws great, but I'd have a hybrid over one now any day. Wide track it, gold wheels, blue paint, Willy interior, Willy engine... but most importantly... Valver insurance ;)

arj256
01-07-2008, 23:42
Get the best example you can find. The values of them wont double in a worth while time scale for the hassle to be worth it.

I owned a 2, the 3 looked the best (colour is nicer) but get a 1. Willy 1 is worth more, it's lighter and has the plaque. No point getting a 2 or 3, may as well get a hybrid instead imo. I only bought my 2 due to the low miles, mintness of the paint work and service history, but mainly because I was going to use and abuse it daily.

Least the 2 still has the non sunroof shell. Thats worth its weight in gold.

It's like Mat was saying the other week and its true - towards the end of a cars life they're already thinking of the next model, they just throw them out till they've got the new generation ready - with the first models they rely on customers feedback and purchases to even warrant the next model.

I cant see how the 3's would rust more, its not like the clios actually changed phases properly and changed the metal type.
I found my ph3 clio which is a simular age to the Williams 3 to be absolutely spotless. Even when it had a bare metal patch exposed it didnt rust.
So with that logic in mind i think its more down to neglect which is the biggest killer of all clios.

jamie
02-07-2008, 01:52
I know I own a phase 1 but if I brought again it would be a phase 1 due to the styling, just looks better to me but to be honest mate 1,2 or 3 there all a williams, dont worry about the phase just look around and get the best example for your money!

simonr85
02-07-2008, 11:50
Get the best example you can find. The values of them wont double in a worth while time scale for the hassle to be worth it.

I cant see how the 3's would rust more, its not like the clios actually changed phases properly and changed the metal type.
I found my ph3 clio which is a simular age to the Williams 3 to be absolutely spotless. Even when it had a bare metal patch exposed it didnt rust.
So with that logic in mind i think its more down to neglect which is the biggest killer of all clios.

maybe the willy 1s are looked after better than the others? with them being the original

knocker
02-07-2008, 14:15
Wow thanks for all the feedback wasn't aware the 3 was not the same colour was it only the colour and sunroof between the 3 models.

J o n
02-07-2008, 15:38
Willy 1 is also the quickest due to it weighing 975kg's, the 2's and 3's are both over 1000kg's as they have door strengthening bars, more electrics and the 3 has ABS as well (not that it means it will stop you... the brakes are still gash lol)

Ivor Williams
02-07-2008, 17:06

I thought the S/R was an option on the '2'?? Am sure i've seen 2's with & w/out S/R's?? :?

arj256
02-07-2008, 17:10

I thought the S/R was an option on the '2'?? Am sure i've seen 2's with & w/out S/R's?? :?

Yes it was an option.

Daz.
02-07-2008, 17:20
I'm more of a 1.5 now lol - phase 1 doors soon to be put on and toying with phase 1 side strips :D

Last time I was on a weighbridge with just the spare wheel and cage out with half a tank of fuel I weighed 960kg

I agree the willy will be lighter but I'd hazard a fair guess the 2 is lighter again than the 3 - that abs and sunroof on their own weigh a chuffing ton!

Ahmed Bayjoo
03-07-2008, 02:34
i would def go for a williams 1, 8)
if you were on a tighter budget id also say try find the best one you can, but in your budget you will be able to get a very nice williams 1.

on another note my old williams 3 had virtually zero rust anywhere, id also be inclined to say it depends on how well the owners look after them.

maybe the 3's get neglected more for whatever reason