PDA

View Full Version : Syncro...

1995clio16v
30-06-2008, 10:45
mesh is definately on its way out. Its been doing it intermittently for the last 12months, had it adjusted which seemed to help but now, its grabbing with EVERY change into 3rd now.

Is there anything I can do to ease it? G/box is on 103,000 which is pretty good going I think for a performance hot hatch.

I presume its a new/recon g/box once gone?

Im pretty gutted tbh as I feel it may be the end of an era! This car has been bullet proof for me. Only a couple of major jobs in over 4 years of ownership.

Whats the price of a recon g/box these days?

:cry:

summeh
30-06-2008, 13:17
so it crunches into 3rd a lot, i wouldn't worry about it tbh.

To replace the synchro's its a box rebuild time though.

summeh
30-06-2008, 13:18
btw what do you mean by "grabbing" ?

AndyFielder
30-06-2008, 14:12
just run it till it pops, then get it rebuilt i say!

Mr.AdamB
30-06-2008, 14:22
cheaper buying 4 or 5 16v boxs than a recon :P my 16v box is lasting me alot longer than any previousely, think its because i am doing much smoother gearchanges, so the syncros last longer :) where as before on the 5 boxs ive blown up, i used to abuse them....

1995clio16v
30-06-2008, 15:30
btw what do you mean by "grabbing" ?

Strange feeling to describe really, but it feels as though crunching may well be the next stage.

It kind of grabs the gear stick out of your hands and almost puts it in gear for you, but a real notchy feeling to it.

As adam says there's no way Id get a rebuild if it is a g/box rebuild.

Ive always wanted an f7r in it but im getting on a bit now, 26 :wink: and a bit wiser with money and just dont know whether I can justify the costs involved! I genuinelly would like to do it. Some days I think yeah and others I just think sell the car and get something normal!

Im still living at home for gods sake and if I were to take that on Id be here for another 5yrs!!! :shock:

:roll:

Coops
30-06-2008, 20:42
turbo it and but a dog box :wink:

1995clio16v
01-07-2008, 19:27
Hello again,

Right 3rd is pretty much non existent now.

Im going to decide what Im going to do over the next week or so regards to the car.

How long to fit a g/box if Ive never done it before?

Ive never attempted a big job like this (done plenty of medium sized jobs on it) but im more than capable, so whats the time scale of swapping the box?

I could do with a new clutch too. Is it worth doing that at same time or is it a different ball game?

MAXIBOY
01-07-2008, 19:59
yes clutch at the same time..should be a day job but easily done in a weekend..

cliokiz
03-07-2008, 23:03
Where abouts are you?

I can help you/show you how to swap the box if you fancy it 8)

Don't sell it!

You can get a JC5 williams box if you want something a bit stronger, or a cheap valver box, or a megane JB3 box, or a laguna JC5 box, loads of choices, boxes can be had for £40 and then it's just the time to fit it.

Doesn't need to break the bank :wink: