PDA

View Full Version : Williams Clio, boy racers car?

Andy P
29-06-2008, 16:22
Would you consider it to be a boy racers car? I cant decide if people are looking at you as a "boy racer" or the fact that im driving a Williams.

:lol:

busterhymes
29-06-2008, 16:25
because its a williams of course :D :D

darkfibre
29-06-2008, 16:33
That is a good question, I've always wondered this also. I think that those who don't know the history behind it may assume that it is, with the gold alloys and bonnet bulge. But I don't care what they think - I still love that car!

summeh
29-06-2008, 16:36
definately, but i couldn't care either.

Joel
29-06-2008, 16:40
Nope Because its a WILLIAMS.. classic 90s hot hatch

slippy
29-06-2008, 16:46
The people who's opinions matter will know, the bafoon who thinks it's a Halford's special, there opinion does not count 8)

Andy P
29-06-2008, 16:56
Its an odd one. The amount of people who ask me "Does it have a 2.0 in that?"

Which then seems to make it alright that its got its lairy gold wheels and loud exhaust. :lol:

But nah, doesnt bother me either :D

richy
29-06-2008, 18:22
when i bought my old williams 3 i went around to one of my mates, as soon as he saw it he was asking why it has gold wheels, bonnet bulge etc and thought my old saxo was better lol just shows not everyone knows what they are

ive had many ppl come up and ask me if its a real williams not a 1.8 16v etc before which is nice, dont happen with every car lol

Greg_99
29-06-2008, 18:26
I wouldnt say it was, the 1.8 16v was back in the day though, seems the mk1 Clio's have been forgotten by our baseball cap wearing younger generation in favour, which is a good thing!

1995clio16v
29-06-2008, 19:33
I cant decide if people are looking at you as a "boy racer"
:lol:

Of course they are!

Anything that has hole in the bonnet looks boy racer to the general public.

The general public who see's a 16v or willy doesnt have a clue of what theyre all about. I have a mate who is 34 and constantly says to me, my car is a williams wanna-be, they dont have a ****ing clue. And then they get in it a say 'oh its pretty quick this isnt it...'

:roll:

Matty86
29-06-2008, 19:52
depends - i get a few looks in MKR, even though its 100% standard, as its clearly different

i also get (more) looks in LMG, but thats low, loud and on white wheels :oops:

might be chav, but i like it! :D

Daz.
29-06-2008, 21:56
Put a standard exhaust back on and you slip by without anyone noticing - to be honest most people out there think that loud exhaust = look at me i'm a boy racer...

bill.
29-06-2008, 23:45
That is a good question, I've always wondered this also. I think that those who don't know the history behind it may assume that it is, with the gold alloys and bonnet bulge. But I don't care what they think - I still love that car!

think you've hit the nail on the head there, but people who appreciate what they actually are and know what there about, love em 8)

Matty86
30-06-2008, 02:22
Put a standard exhaust back on and you slip by without anyone noticing - to be honest most people out there think that loud exhaust = look at me i'm a boy racer...

no way, the standard one is far too dull! I love the magnex ;)

jamie
30-06-2008, 07:34
People who have no idea what the car is about think its just a chavved up clio, the amount of people that look at it and think iv done it up lol Then I tell them....mate thats how it was when it came off of the production line, some people have no idea lol

Bailey_1260
30-06-2008, 08:11
I think most people dont understand what they are tbh, the boy racers have moved on to newr cars now and the 172/182 are now fitting nocely in the place the mk1's used to be :D

J o n
30-06-2008, 10:00
Williams isn't a boy racer car imo, as most people old enough to matter know what it is and remember it from when it was new. It's too well respected to be one, plus high insurance keeps it out the wrong hands.

Valver however I'd say is, there's loads of scallys getting hold of them round my way now and driving them like cunts.

Danno
30-06-2008, 10:05
Williams isn't a boy racer car imo, as most people old enough to matter know what it is and remember it from when it was new. It's too well respected to be one, plus high insurance keeps it out the wrong hands.

Valver however I'd say is, there's loads of scallys getting hold of them round my way now and driving them like c**ts.

:agree: :)

donsrno1
30-06-2008, 10:56

Valver however I'd say is, there's loads of scallys getting hold of them round my way now and driving them like c**ts.

So what about a hybrid :lol:

Being serious though, I don't think it is a boy racers car - but I think thats what the majority of Joe Public think because it has gold wheels and a bonnet bulge. As everyone says though those that know exactly what it is don't see it as a boy racers car but as more of a classic hot hatch. I've had both ends of the extreme where some people will basically laugh at it thinking I've modified it with the bonnet bulge, but then I've also come back to the car with people having a nose around it / taking picures of it and asking questions etc.

MatrixGuy
30-06-2008, 13:22
Usually the people who say it looks like a boy racer car (including my ex) don't have a clue about cars!

Matty86
30-06-2008, 14:16

valvers wont last long like that

look out for ebay bargains soon for broken circlips and imob faults! :D

Tommo
30-06-2008, 14:40
To be honest it can be a little embarrasing when pulling onto a petrol station forecourt and everyone looking around to see what the hell all the racket is about, I feel a little bit like a boy racer then! lol! But those in the know can appreciate what a special little car the williams is, those who have to ask why you have gold wheels and a bonnet bulge clearly have no idea, I can't even be bothered to explain to these people...

Robb
01-07-2008, 16:00
Not many people where i live and have talked to know what a williams is. All the chavs at my work think the bonnet buldge, wheels and wider arches are stick on tat :lol:

white16valver
01-07-2008, 19:16
I like the fact not many people really know what they are and just think they're another clio - and in white the arches don't seem so noticeable I reckon :twisted:

Wobba
01-07-2008, 19:53
Most people I meet haven't got a clue about what my valver is. However, most of the people into performance cars do know.

Is it chavvy? Well, I showed pictures of the new GTR, R8 and old Elise and all the girls at work had some negative 'oooh no, I don't like that...' to say about them all. Far more interested in whats on Eastenders and if they need to get some more make up from Boots than the 0-60 or how fast it lapped the 'ring.

Most of them thought the Williams was a chavved up 1.4 or something. I try to tell them it's one of the best hot hatches of all time, but they don't care about that they just cared about simple things like the colour etc. completely missing the point of cars like this, not their fault, they just don't 'get' it.

They think of me as a 35 year old revisiting his youth, and I think they find it quite funny hehe. Maybe they are right lol.

white16valver
01-07-2008, 19:56
I didn't know you were that old!! :shock: :wink: :lol:

white16valver
01-07-2008, 19:57
Now I understand why you have a bad back - these things are bound to happen at your age ;) :P LOL

Wobba
01-07-2008, 20:05
Still partying hardcore stylee though :D

http://www.asrm48.dsl.pipex.com/Cars/intheclub.gif

2 live
01-07-2008, 20:11
hehe......even i can call u an old cunt ;)
lol

as for is the williams a boy racers car???

well no. as jesus says, the ins premiums tend to keep the chavs away, altho most of the chavs round here are driving pimped up scoobs. its nice to show them the back end of the williams once in a while. lol.

but then the locals have been seeing my car, and my other williams' and various club members williams' hooning around for a good few years now. the 1s that know have a lot of respect for the 14 year old clio. the 1s that dont...soon find out wen they try to race me lol.

J o n
01-07-2008, 22:16
hehe......even i can call u an old c**t ;)
lol

only just! ;) lmao

I see a fair load of kids in scooby's near me know, but I dont think 90% of them have insurance.

Walsden has deffo seen it's fair share of Williams though as 2 live says... that road we like holds some fond memories of the first time I (tried) to follow you home to sort my brakes out... and to think, you thought it would be a simple job... now you believe me that it was cursed though :lol:

jamie
01-07-2008, 23:21
What I love is pulling up at a petrol garage, making loads of noise then step out the car, people think its gonna be some chavved up guy not someone with piercings and tattoos lol

arj256
01-07-2008, 23:53
Definitely not, its to highly regarded by the people in the know for it to fall into that stereotype.

Swervin_Mervin
02-07-2008, 00:15
Of course it has a boy racer image to the general populous.

But then do you give a monkeys?

jamie
02-07-2008, 00:22
Like everything boys I could not give a crap what other people think, the car is a complete classic and I love it!!!

dickies_willy2
02-07-2008, 00:52
everyone i speak to seems to talk about it as a classic. but im only 21 had had a willy 2 for over a year now but i dont drive it like a t**t, i love it, always wanted one so i got one while i was young and could afford it!

i think people respect it as a modern classic and thats the way i hope its gonna stay, i think the boy racers have so many more options for more power less money.

2 live
03-07-2008, 17:33
hehe......even i can call u an old c**t ;)
lol

only just! ;) lmao

I see a fair load of kids in scooby's near me know, but I dont think 90% of them have insurance.

Walsden has deffo seen it's fair share of Williams though as 2 live says... that road we like holds some fond memories of the first time I (tried) to follow you home to sort my brakes out... and to think, you thought it would be a simple job... now you believe me that it was cursed though :lol:

wasnt cursed....lol

did seem to be 1 thing after another with it tho lol.

doug2.0
05-07-2008, 18:59
before i got my williams i saw a couple of lads around with valvers and i was praying that they wouldnt catch on, and luckily they didnt, and the small amount that were knocking about must have broken or been written off lol

driving round west yorkshire i may see one valver/ williams every two months maybe more
seems you have to travel a bit if you want to buy one and you live round here.
makes me feel exclusive :lol:

FATBOY
05-07-2008, 20:09

oi!!! being in ya 30's aint old!!!! :wink:

busterhymes
05-07-2008, 21:26
your right m8 try 48 then your well on your way to bein f****d but i remembered these cars when they were new and def not a boy racers car its a design classic and a bit of a street sleeper given not many people have a clue what they are and i just luv it when they try it on and get smoked :) :)

Joel
06-07-2008, 12:14
Like everything boys I could not give a crap what other people think, the car is a complete classic and I love it!!!

amen to that brother :D

Joel
06-07-2008, 12:15

oi!!! being in ya 30's aint old!!!! :wink:

Not Be Long Before Saga are sending letters for insurance :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

CharlieG60
07-07-2008, 11:18
Well those in the know understand what it is and appreciate it as such but the vast majority don't. Because of this it will always be seen and a boy racers / chav mobile (especially as most willi drivers now are mid 20’s and tend to drive them badly. Girls out of their teens generally are embarrassed to be seen in them, people point as you blast by and mutter under their breath. I'm 34 and live in the Cotswolds (I've sold it now) but everyone called me a chav when I drove it, it was a kind of running joke.

In the end a much as I loved it, it just never got driven. Still great cars but it gets boring having to explain what makes a Williams a Williams.

Allan
07-07-2008, 11:38
I had a guy come upto me in tescos and coment on how nice my body kit was :D

I think the williams is a nice drivers car, and i pass a 30+ lady driving a white valver everyday so she must agree too :D

Some days its a struggle to get my dad out of the williams he loves driving it that much...

Now if you want chav mobile thats my dimma lol, but it looks the nuts i know its not eveyones cup of tea but it is just somthing different ;)

jamie
07-07-2008, 15:51
So what the deal regarding classic insurance and the williams?

LEEDASH
07-07-2008, 21:30
These boy racers wouldnt have a clue about valvers,willys.There all about these fancy finance deals £30 a month pieces of you know what.Just because its modern,yawn. I live in a pretty big town and theres only 2 valvers i know of and i always get looks like ive come from out of space.All i can say long live the valver/willys and keep em away from these bassboom/sticker happy boy chavvy racers !

CharlieG60
08-07-2008, 08:26
So what the deal regarding classic insurance and the williams?

I had classic insurance on mine, full breakdown, fully comp, 6000m / year agreed condition and value - £125

I am 34 and live in the cotswolds but it's worth a try - Peter Best Insurance services

jamie
08-07-2008, 16:29
Im not up on the whole classic insurence scene, so what criteria does a car need to meet to be able to benifit from cheap classic car insurance???

Allan
08-07-2008, 16:45
it needs to be a classic :D

jamie
08-07-2008, 17:34
it needs to be a classic :D

:roll: lol

talkingfish
09-07-2008, 12:39
The Williams defiantely has a different image now that what it used to have - when I owned my first one 8 years ago they were still expensive to buy (I paid £8k for it) - now thier value has falled to the extent that a lot of people can now afford to buy them (but not necessarily to run them!) and this de-values the car.

I would suggest that as they become rarer over the years then their pedigree will increase again.

Boy racers now I think have moved onto 17poos and the like as they can now afford them...

richy
09-07-2008, 19:00
all the chavs etc around here drive scoobys if they have abit of money if not its clappeted out puntos/fiestas etc, quite rare to see a valver or williams about! tons of 172/182/197/meg 225 etc!

Andy P
10-07-2008, 20:32
all the chavs etc around here drive scoobys if they have abit of money if not its clappeted out puntos/fiestas etc, quite rare to see a valver or williams about! tons of 17poo/18poo/197/meg 225 etc!

Cornwall is soooooo much different. Still plenty of Corsa's around :lol:

Rob72
19-07-2008, 21:47
boyracers dont take a second look at my car cos they never heard of a williams...but the slightly older guys turn their heads.

love it when i spot a saxo boy...lol

Joel
20-07-2008, 10:39
Corsas= Bags of shite !!

I cant wait to get some no claims and either get a bora or a Valver :D

kenny
21-07-2008, 03:17
Some days its a struggle to get my dad out of the williams he loves driving it that much...

I'm a dad who's been getting saga letters for a few years now, liked his sons williams so much I bought it off him, crashed it, bought another one. Son David missed his so much he also bought another one. I Think Jo public fall into two camps, those that know immediately what it is, i've had young lads and older men say "nice car, is it a real one"? and the others who don't know, don't care and don't even give it a second look. Boy racer? I dont think I could care less.

Essexbiggzy
24-07-2008, 20:41
Usually the people who say it looks like a boy racer car (including my ex) don't have a clue about cars!

My first post, but im defo backing that statement! :lol:

titcharoony
24-07-2008, 21:46
i would say it isnt a boy racers car if kept std ish

number1
24-07-2008, 22:24
All i ever get in the hybrid is, "is it a williams mate?" "nah 1.2 cant you read the door badges" :lol: most boyracers who have had/crashed/blown up clio 16v's always claim they had 190bhp out of them on a 1.8 too!

With a williams its got just enough respect to keep it out of the hands of the kev's and with the enthusiast's

Dave

Paul16v
25-07-2008, 08:30
not many boy racers can afford to insure a williams :lol: