PDA

View Full Version : Been offered this R 19 Willams

bomber172
25-06-2008, 10:10
Hi guys and girls, been on here a small while but mostly just reading. Have come over from cliosport.net for a gander.

Ive been offered this car for not alot of money, i know a bit about cars and always want to learn but getting my hands dirty but not enough to identify problems for definate.

i can get hold of a trailor and get the car home easily enough to do some work on it but need a few questions answered.

Seller says just the water pumps given up the ghost, or is it actually the head gasket? if its either of these, what else would it damage and should i both fixing it or just leaving it?

Sorry about the questions.

anyway, heres some pictures to vegetate over if i could have some sensible input cheers :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/bomber_supra/DSC01267.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/bomber_supra/DSC01268.jpg

schakal
25-06-2008, 10:13
it appears to have abs ,steer well clear !!!
also what makes you think its got a williams engine in it ?

bomber172
25-06-2008, 10:22
this makes me think that. and why's the ABS an issue? can remove that if its the end of the world
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/bomber_supra/DSC01266.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/bomber_supra/DSC01269.jpg

northy
25-06-2008, 10:26
its a 1.8 mate - no williams.

The dipstick and inlet manifold tell us this

bomber172
25-06-2008, 10:39
thanks for that, have now had time to do a check on the number plate and as you say, is just a 1.8 jobbie.

might phone the scrap yard and see what the value of scrap is these days lol

schakal
25-06-2008, 10:41
its a 1.8 mate - no williams.

The dipstick and inlet manifold tell us this

i am pretty sure both items fit the 2 litre head as well mate .

if you are willing to ditch the abs all is good :D
you got yourself one of the best handling (on standard parts)
renaults there mate 8)

u33db
25-06-2008, 12:59
Aye, ABS is a concern as IIRC thats the widowmaker system.

Whats the milage anyway?

bomber172
25-06-2008, 13:02
widow maker eh, sounds menacing.

its about 105k miles on the clock. quite a few but may be worth spares if someone needs it if theres no point getting it up and running again

u33db
25-06-2008, 13:05
Menacing indeed - if it goes it takes out you brakes completey!

105k tho?

Probably if it hasn't gone by now then it'll be safe enough so worth getiing going IMO as it looks in good nick.

Doubt its a 2ltr tho if you're getting it cheap...

bomber172
25-06-2008, 13:05
i was tempted to stick it on the track but got a stripped 172 for that

MicKPM
25-06-2008, 13:31
Damn, she looks like she's had a hard life but as above a really nice car to drive when in tip-top condition despite its size. Think its had a leak at some point?

ABS is a piece of to remove so don't let that put you off but as above i'd deffo get it gone before you drive it anywhere. Check the engine code plate on the front right of the block to confirm it actually is an F7R powered 19 as most morons love nothing more than putting gold wheels on a 449 19 16v and then call it a "Williams" (I htink this is a common problem on 449 Clios to though). It's a 19 bay not a Clio so you'll have loads of room to get your head in and view around it mechanically.

Check the top mounts haven't cracked as well where the damper protrudes in to the fixing cup as this is a common (and rarely fixed) issue on the 19 16v (IIRC it was the 19's only factory recall). The top mount kit is available from Renault still but it's not cheap at around £140-160 for both top mounts, bearings etc.

Get a good look at the sills and rear arches for signs of the tin worm. If you can, getthe side skirts off. It's all fixable but do you really want to be doing it is the question you need to ask as the 3 door rear quarter panels are Renault only parts and you don't see much change from £600 per item including VAT

Mick

Wobba
25-06-2008, 13:35
If HG has gone its a big job.

If water pump is shot, that's not so bad but running it with coolant like that suggests to me it's not been looked after.

You may want to see my project: wobba thread over in the projects section to see how much work I had t do to a clio that's been neglected in the coolant section...

Looks like the expansion bottle is shot. A shite water pump itself isn't a huge problem, but for a novice can be a bit tricky to do, but not impossible if you have the patience and tools.

I would be inclined to check it over, looking carefully at the oil etc for water contamination and all round the head for gasket failure.

Don't forget to check al lthe other stuff too.

If you do get it make sure you completely sort the coolant system as it seems to be a bit of a joke there lol. Basic fluids service too straight away!

stevie_b
25-06-2008, 17:12
Menacing indeed - if it goes it takes out you brakes completey!

Must be a French thing. Are they Bendix brakes? My Pug 405 Mi16 had exactly the same weakness and I'm amazed that there are other cars with the same affliction! I used my 405 mainly for sprint/hillclimb racing and so it could be counted as 'lucky' when they failed completely at 'only' 50mph coming up to a roundabout with a queue of traffic waiting at it - I would say it probably was one of the most scary experiences of my life and if the R19 has a similar issue then I would also recommend you get it sorted before driving the car in earnest (I just replaced the unit with a standard master cylinder for £30 from a lower model 405 without ABS and made up some new brake pipes - probably a similar fix on the R19, so cost should not be prohibitive?)

u33db
25-06-2008, 18:08
Yep, bendix! lol