PDA

View Full Version : call me stupid but...

Phoenix
24-06-2008, 22:55
the water in my rad bottle is brown as sh!t and in desperate need of a flush out but.....
i've never done it before
so someone please tell me what i have to do :oops:

Jamie.
24-06-2008, 23:02
I undid the top hose and bottom hoses on the radiator and waited for it all to drain out.

I then put the hose pipe in the top hose on low ish pressure and waited for the colour of the liquid coming out to clear which was filtering from the bottom hose.

Obviously its not going to be crystal but thats what i did.

Ohh and getting those metal circlips off was a pain in the arse, could they have not just used jubilee clips?

Phoenix
24-06-2008, 23:04
cheers mate thats really helpful :) and yeah i tried undoing those....i know what you mean they are a pain in the arse

MAXIBOY
24-06-2008, 23:08
also worth flushing the heater matrix and block as well...

can flush both ways..

Phoenix
24-06-2008, 23:09
^^^ummm....you what? :oops:

MAXIBOY
24-06-2008, 23:17
can hold hoses in the bottom hoses and flush the radiator backwards as this is also a good idea

heater has its own matrix that can be flushed also. the two small pipes by the header tank going though the bulkhead..

engine block can be flushed buy needs the thermostat removing iirc..

make sure you fill with antifreeze and water with corrosion inhibitors...

Phoenix
24-06-2008, 23:19
ooooo..... heater matrix sounds easy enough but not sure about removing the thermostat(i have a 1.8 RSI btw if this makes any differance

MAXIBOY
24-06-2008, 23:34
yeah makes it easier on that than the 16v/willy..

will need to undo a few bolts iirc but better to start with the others fill it up run it up to temp and flush again...

once clean fill with water and anti freeze..

white16valver
25-06-2008, 17:59
cheers mate thats really helpful :) and yeah i tried undoing those....i know what you mean they are a pain in the arse
Get some molegrips if you haven't already!

They were recommended to me and they're a lifesaver lol