PDA

View Full Version : accelerator cable

rickyquicky
21-06-2008, 22:07
i snapped my accelerator cable a little while back, got a new one (pattern part)

basically it all looks right but the end that goes to the throttle is just plain cable ie: there isnt that little metal end on it to lock it in place

this obviously isnt right because theres no way to fix it to the bit on the throttle, so do i have the wrong part?

should the cable come with this metal bit in place or is that little bit seperate and you fix it to the end of the cable?

:?

alex
22-06-2008, 10:14
OE cable comes complete.
you will have to go to a motor spares shop and ask for a snaped cable repair kit. its like a mini exhaust clamp or a house hold electric plug. the bit that the wire goes into with the screw.

rickyquicky
22-06-2008, 19:06
but do OE ones come with the little bit attached? or do they have a little grub screw where you attach it after you have fed it through?

i casnt see how you would feed the cable through unless you had to attach it afterwards.

im wondering if i have a part missing - has anyone bought a pattern throttle cable before?

Lunner
22-06-2008, 19:15
OE will come complete with the outer as one piece

alex
22-06-2008, 19:23
OE has white clip attached to the pedal end. doubt copy would have that. :?

willy3
22-06-2008, 19:24
bought a pattern one and sent it back and bought a oe one which was surprisingly cheap, fitted perfectly as it was complete, worth every penny saved mucking about getting the correct length and fitting the stops......

rickyquicky
22-06-2008, 19:32
my one come complete with the outer too!

im not talking about the white plastic bit, thats there and is fine.

im talking about the metal stop that fits by the throttle to keep the cable in place.

cxan i buy this seperately to save messing around?

alex
22-06-2008, 20:57
sorry mate i was at the wrong end. Never heard that one before. launch it and get down the dealer. there only about 15quid. And it will be perfect. keep the retainer "R" clip though. dont think you get a new one.

rickyquicky
23-06-2008, 11:37
ok, but seeing as eveything else if right, and that i have fitted it, it would be a lot easier for me if i could get hold of that little bit so that i can fix it to the throttle

does anyone know if i can get this seperately and if so where from?

BRUN
23-06-2008, 17:50
usually part of the cable arent they ?

never seen em seperately

doug2.0
23-06-2008, 21:52
new one comes complete but keep the R clip as the one on the new one is shit and doesnt stay in place.
good look trying to get the bit through the rubber grommit in the bulkhead, im still trying different ways of getting it through 3 weeks after fitting it

rickyquicky
24-06-2008, 10:37
i had to replace it on my 106 as well, that metal bit was seperate, it has a tiny grub screw to lock it onto the cable.

Swervin_Mervin
24-06-2008, 12:59
new one comes complete but keep the R clip as the one on the new one is s**t and doesnt stay in place.
good look trying to get the bit through the rubber grommit in the bulkhead, im still trying different ways of getting it through 3 weeks after fitting it

Try lube. :oops: :lol:

Nah, fairy liquid was what I used. LOTS. And various other tools and lots of swearing. Usually with these things I find you need to get to the screaming "NNNGGGG FVCKITYOUFECKINBST$RD!" stage.

RE: the end lug. Sounds like dodgy part to me. You'd need a loop on the end of the cable atleast in order to stick the peg in and twist it round to secure it. As suggested, bin it/refund it and get a OE one.

Ivor Williams
24-06-2008, 13:47
new one comes complete but keep the R clip as the one on the new one is s**t and doesnt stay in place.

Nah, fairy liquid was what I used. LOTS. And various other tools and lots of swearing. Usually with these things I find you need to get to the screaming "NNNGGGG FVCKITYOUFECKINBST$RD!" stage.

RE: the end lug. Sounds like dodgy part to me. You'd need a loop on the end of the cable atleast in order to stick the peg in and twist it round to secure it. As suggested, bin it/refund it and get a OE one.

Yup................ Buy cheap, buy twice!! :wink:

doug2.0
24-06-2008, 16:27

hahaha i had round one of that stage i had to stop after losing too much blood lol my hands are cut to bits from repeatedly smacking it on the underside of the dash after needle pliers kept slipping!

so ive got past blood, sweat i think i should about crack it after the tears bit.

if i left it do you think that the bulkhead would rub through the plastic bit and damage the cable?

next step is one of these on my drill to make the hole bigger

http://www.wolfcraft.com/images/photographs/2144-5PcGrindingStoneSet-ALL-1.jpg