PDA

View Full Version : When sunroof leaks are left unsorted...

u33db
21-06-2008, 15:07
Today i did some work on th rsi..nemely change the broken top mount, reactivate the sunroof motor and clean under the scuttle panels.

The cars leaky sunroof has obviously been a problem for a lot longer than the 3 or so weeks i've had because i started proding at some rust in the scuttle area..

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/u33db/clio_rsi/Image017.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/u33db/clio_rsi/Image016.jpg

Yes, its rotted right through into the cabin area!!

Not sure what to do about this really... :?

To fix it will mean getting new metal welded in so i think i'll need to invest in a welding kit to keep costs down...has anyone seen/fxed this before and is it a big job?

Guess I better invest in the 40quid seal before this gets worse.

Annoyingly, the rest of the car is in pretty good nick aside from this...

bendee
21-06-2008, 18:25
how on earth would your sunroof be the cause of that?

MatBrown
21-06-2008, 18:35
It's not, it's usually caused by damage to the paintwork when having a new screen fitted. This left unseen for many years and just keeps spreading.

Mat.

u33db
21-06-2008, 19:50
That kinda makes sense as the screen looks a bit too clear if you get me.

:(

Damn it though...any thoughts on how to fix it?

I was gonna cut my bit out, cut a simlar area out of scrapyard car then weld in.

Is this acheivable by DIY'ing it or is the car a lost cause?

:(

spikey-ben
21-06-2008, 20:29
Ive welded alot worse than that. I wouldnt class it as a major job. MIG welders are the best and the easeiest tor use on that type of repair. I would go along with using a good secondhand cars panel for that repair. When you get the welder just have a day or two practising welding on similar type of thickness metal trying different settings and just take your time. :)

1995clio16v
21-06-2008, 20:40
It's not
Mat.

He might be right you know, or certainly it wont help. When mine was leaking everytime I set off in the morning and the water had been stood/gathered, and I went round a bend I could hear the water pissing down the inside of the 'a frame/windscreen pillar. Maybe it goes towards that area.

:o

Justin..
21-06-2008, 21:20
do you rusty arches? cos thats more likely a reason for the rushing water sound. in my 449 the arch rust had caused the cill to fill with a bit of water

Swervin_Mervin
21-06-2008, 22:20
ULF has this. I actually blame the poor windscreen lower seal. It holds manky gunge beneath it very well.