PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather guide

Purple
21-06-2005, 05:25
Thought I'd write up some basic tips on hot weather Clio Williams survival for you UK guys. If you're wondering, my orange air temp sits between 40 to 45 most afternoons, all year round. Most tips you guys probably know already.

1. Don't park in the sun. If you have to, leave a few mm open at the window to reduce the greenhouse effect. Shadow is your friend.
2. Avoid slow traffic. If in traffic, stay slightly further behind the front car to avoid the exhaust heat.
3. Make sure the battery is nicely charged. The electric fan drains the battery fast, if it comes on very often.
4. Fit a manual fan switch in the car (or switch on your heater), if the fan cuts in late.
5. Give the radiator fins a good clean wash.
6. Water temp should sit between the 2 major middle marks. But, once it goes past the high mark by more than 3 mm; the oil temp will rise quite fast. For me, I stop the car if oil temp hits 110C in hot weather running.
7. If fan fails to cut in, it takes about 10 minutes to boil-over from normal operating temperatures in slow traffic.
8. I use the Renault coolant with no mixing. Redline water wetters works but not by much.
9. Not really survival tip, hot weather is great for front tyre grip round corners (Goodyear F1).

Any other tricks you guys use?

Martin
21-06-2005, 08:28
If all else fails when your car is running veru hot drive round with the heater on full blast!...it does make a difference

Kelly
21-06-2005, 10:26

I bought a car with aircon :P

KingStromba
21-06-2005, 10:30
Get a new radiator :wink:

Purple
21-06-2005, 11:00

I bought a car with aircon :P

I bought a Williams with aircon :P

Slithers
21-06-2005, 13:29
Always carry duct tape in your car, awesome for a temporary leak fix's that always seem to occur in hot waether conditions.

edde
21-06-2005, 18:02
Keep the coolent level topped up after all the more there in in the sytem the more cooling with occure (however small)
Pull the bonnet catch that ince or so of gap is extra air.
Rig the wear washer wipe to the radiator instead so it sprays water over it when it operates.

KingStromba
21-06-2005, 18:15
Never 1/4 mile in the heat as poor times may be recorded. :wink:

Smokey McPot
21-06-2005, 18:58
dont use those Windscreen shields that look like sunglasses....THEY DO NOT MAKE YOU COOL people!! 8)

mon
29-08-2005, 22:44
If all else fails when your car is running veru hot drive round with the heater on full blast!...it does make a difference

yea have done that :lol: