PDA

View Full Version : Seen a Williams but service book has been lost? Urgent help!

darkfibre
16-06-2008, 21:17
Hi there,

Just seen a Williams 3, booked the train tickets to view the car which is nearly 200 miles away from me. Ive just been told that he cannot find the service book. He called the owner he bought it from and apparently it wasn't passed on. So somewhere along the line the book has been lost. The car is selling for 2300 at 80k and looks to be in very good condition (no rust, receipts for new parts, etc). I did a background check and it does show service recorded upto 72k. No HPI, not stolen, etc. However, he does have all old MOTs and a folder of receipts for clutch, cambelt, etc.

Basically I don't know whether I should go for it. I have to make a decision latest by tomorrow morning to either go or cancel the tickets so your help would be most appreciated. :oops: What shoud I do??

Ivor Williams
16-06-2008, 21:27
Hi there,

Just seen a Williams 3, booked the train tickets to view the car which is nearly 200 miles away from me. Ive just been told that he cannot find the service book. He called the owner he bought it from and apparently it wasn't passed on. So somewhere along the line the book has been lost. The car is selling for 2300 at 80k and looks to be in very good condition (no rust, receipts for new parts, etc). I did a background check and it does show service recorded upto 72k. No HPI, not stolen, etc. However, he does have all old MOTs and a folder of receipts for clutch, cambelt, etc.

Basically I don't know whether I should go for it. I have to make a decision latest by tomorrow morning to either go or cancel the tickets so your help would be most appreciated. :oops: What shoud I do??

I'd go for it, if it all seems legit & that's the only box left un-checked. If it's got all the receipts & old MOT's to proove the services/repairs, then personally, I can't see the problem! Put it this way, it's better to have it that way around, than have a stamped up book but have no receipts to proove! Service books can easily be fiddled with!!!

doug2.0
16-06-2008, 21:31
yeah go for it i would, reciepts count for a lot more than a few stamps,
mine had been dealer serviced until i bought it, and everytime ive serviced it ive kept the reciepts and foldered them.
go get it :lol:

Jamie.
16-06-2008, 21:33
The service book had been lost on mine but I still bought it and it has done me proud. It will be obvious if it has been well cared for.

darkfibre
16-06-2008, 23:53
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will go and see it. I don't think I plan to keep the car forever(!), so do you think when I come to sell it that I will have trouble shifting it without a service book?

I have read a few posts on this forum saying not to buy a Williams without FSH...I think it even says it in the guide?!

busterhymes
17-06-2008, 07:28
i bought my williams without service book but there was plenty of history in the receipts provided, to be honest if you think about its easier to get a doctored service book than it is to collect receipts, i have receipts that are from where each of the owners have lived these all have dates and mileage printed up on them so i think these are just as good would go and check car out and if you have done your homework you can check all the known probs that are common to the model good luck

darkfibre
17-06-2008, 09:13
Hey thanks for that. I read on another forum that it may be worth calling up the garages that issued out the receipts to confirm the work and mileage at the time, which I thought was good advice too and maybe worth someone doing if they find themselves in a similar situation to mine...

busterhymes
17-06-2008, 10:46
mileage and registration pretty std on dealer receipt even my m8 who looks after mine and they are hand written :) :)

doug2.0
17-06-2008, 18:40
Hey thanks for that. I read on another forum that it may be worth calling up the garages that issued out the receipts to confirm the work and mileage at the time, which I thought was good advice too and maybe worth someone doing if they find themselves in a similar situation to mine...

thats a bit over the top in my opinion, if the car looks well maintained and has plenty of reciepts then i wouldnt worry about the service book.

mine had all the stuff from new, brochure, service book, stickers, receipts etc
it had been well maintained by the last owner with cambelt watepump, gearbox and clutch all recently done.

6 months on and the whole front end is worn out shocks, bushes balljoints etc, ive just spent best part of £300 on parts! and thats nothing to do with neglect its just wear and tear, (and the great english road surfaces :roll: )

so no matter what the history it will probably need work at some point anyway. just make sure it isnt a dog

Danno
17-06-2008, 20:23
dont rush into buying the first 1 you go look at, there are quite a few up for sale, and I'm sure if you just be a little patient something will come up, maybe nearer to you that does have full history.

darkfibre
18-06-2008, 01:48
Well I've done the deed...and have returned home with the Williams :)

Took the guide with me, proved very useful, very clean car and folder full of receipts and MOTs. Shame about the service book but going by the condition of the car I'm not that bothered.

Thanks for all the advice lads! 8)

Daz.
18-06-2008, 08:13

Took the guide with me, proved very useful, very clean car and folder full of receipts and MOTs. Shame about the service book but going by the condition of the car I'm not that bothered.

Buy one :wink:

darkfibre
18-06-2008, 09:52
Buy one :wink:

You mean the service book? Do they even exist for this car?

Daz.
18-06-2008, 17:05
eBay!

Just buy another service book for another petrol clio - cheeky cheeky :D

FATBOY
18-06-2008, 17:30

pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!

darkfibre
18-06-2008, 18:33
eBay!

Just buy another service book for another petrol clio - cheeky cheeky :D

Oki dokie! I will definitely look into that - thanks. I have a 1.4RT atm, and it looks like a plain Renault Clio service book...did the Williams have Williams printed on the front?

FATBOY - Pics are on the way :) I think you will likey :D

Daz.
18-06-2008, 20:47
No they're all the same use your RT one

darkfibre
18-06-2008, 22:16
For anyone who's interested...pics!

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=312247#312247