PDA

View Full Version : Turn key nothing... please help 1.8 16v

gavrob1981
14-06-2008, 11:03
Bought a new motor off ebay as a non runner yesterday, thought it was the starter motor, so i have replaced it with a working one and still nothing when i turn the key, i get a ll the normal dash lights and clicks but no turning over. i have checked the fuses but do't know what to do next..........

Any ideas? what should i check next? please help

Thanks.

wavy
14-06-2008, 18:19
immobilizer try a different ecu if u can get hold of 1 ? (mk1)

Lunner
14-06-2008, 19:51
See if you are getting 12v to the starter, if so can you turn the engine over by hand fron the crank bolt.

Might be seized if the starter isn't turning over.

Does the imobiliser not just cut the fuel?

Wobba
14-06-2008, 20:44
See if you are getting 12v to the starter, if so can you turn the engine over by hand fron the crank bolt.

Might be seized if the starter isn't turning over.

Does the imobiliser not just cut the fuel?

It cuts the fuel I believe, yes. It would have same symptoms as described I think.

If your not getting power to the starter (or not enough) trace back the wiring and check all the earths as well. Double check the battery and terminals, make sure they are in good contact with each other and give the leads a good scrub down if they look even slightly corroded with a wire brush etc.

Make sure the battery is not flat too...take it out and wire it up to a charger for a bit while you check things over.

If all that fails then you could try as lunner says and crank the engine over by hand to make sure it isn't seized where is has been standing for a while or blown to bits.

Don't bother with another ECU till you check everything over first as it may not be that (but it could be!)

gavrob1981
14-06-2008, 23:22
there is no spark i have managed to short the starter terminals and got it to turn over, looks like an imobiliser issue...........

oh well think i may just strip it.

cheers gav

mk1 clio
15-06-2008, 01:47
I had a melted wire coming from the ignition barrel, (switched live, Yellow) that give me similar symptoms. Try taking the lower steering cowling off around the steering column and also the top dash, and have a look for anything melted, to rule that out. These Clio's are renowned for their bad electrics...

Tammboy
15-06-2008, 11:25
Off ebay? Was it the one with the vandalised paint work from shropshire?

Scougar
18-06-2008, 10:44
Sounds naff.. but is the battery charged and a known good one?

Matthew