PDA

View Full Version : No Spark

Lunner
12-06-2008, 14:40
After standing on my drive for months and months finally got to a point where i could try and srart the hybrid, got the fuel lines sorted and defo fuel getting to the engine, but no spark.

Changed coilpack, swapped HT leads (incase my new set was dodgy), cleaned rotar arm and cap, had a bit of shit in it, and still no spark.

I've run outa ideas apart from new dizzy cap and arm, but dunno if that will sort it

MicKPM
12-06-2008, 15:00
Is the battery connected?

Okay, really dumb question I know, sorry. Seriously though:

Have you checked to see if the Ign Mod is getting 12v?
Is the CPS plugged in and working?
Put a multimeter on the end of the HT lead and set it to HV and crank it. Does it register voltage?
Are the main earths all intact?

Mick

Wobba
12-06-2008, 15:00
ECU?

Is the starter turning over?

Wobba
12-06-2008, 15:04
ECU?

Is the starter turning over?

Hmm, thinking about it I dont think a bad ECU would stop the sparks would they...and I gather starter is working as well...actually, ignore what I said :cry:

Lunner
12-06-2008, 15:14
Turning over fine, ignition turn on, fuel pump pumps, tried spark plug in the end of one of the leads and no spark, checked all connections and as far as i can see everything is plugged in.

Will check CTS though, and that the ignition modual is getting 12v

Lunner
12-06-2008, 15:15
Will check CPS too

MicKPM
12-06-2008, 15:24
I always check the Ign Mod output at the HT lead... if you're getting 6000v (ish) there then you've pretty much narrowed down the problem to the dizzy cap/rotor arm/plug leads. If not and you're getting 12v then it'll be an earth or CPS issue.

Mick

MicKPM
12-06-2008, 15:26
If you wanna have some fun (And if you've got a stupid mate to hand) you can always ask them to hold something metal in the end like a drill bit and tell them to watch for the end lighting up... Yes, I have done before and yes, it's VERY funny :D

Lunner
12-06-2008, 16:00
Right, coming off the coil i have 12v on ignition on, dropping to 5v on turn over, this is where the king HT lead comes off.

Yellow wire (ignition feed) is registering at just under 12v.

Checked all teh earths and they are all sound.

Tried a spare coil i have and no result either.

However, the little white/yellow wire that goes froma single pin connection on the ignition coil to an earth on the mounting bolts has no continuiety with miltimeter at each end, nor do any of the other 3 i have in my garage, with the other plugs on and this connected it has a connection with the earth, however, remove the other plugs and this looses its connection, stupid question, but i presume this wire is supposed to provide an additional earth for the coil pack?

MicKPM
12-06-2008, 16:20
Yes all the White/White + Tracers are common earths.

IIRC the plug with x3 wires should be:

Yellow - +12v
White - Earth
Pink - CPS Signal

Single plug:
Pink - Tacho Signal

Lunner
12-06-2008, 16:23
Checked the earth from the head with contunity tester and its spot on, its just this little single wire thats stumping me, why is there no contunity along all 3 i've tested

MicKPM
12-06-2008, 16:24
Wanted... Edit button!!

EDIT: The other white wire is a suppressor. It's not required to start the car but does help with something :?:

stan
12-06-2008, 16:44
helps prevent interference.

has this engine been running in this car before? or is this the first time oyuve tried starting?

are the injectors firing?

also you should be seeing full battery voltage at the feed to the coil...just under 12v is low.

its most likely the crank angle sensor.

number1
12-06-2008, 19:40
Does the rev counter needle flicker slightly when you turn the ignition on? i hear thats how to test if the Crank sensor is working or not

Dabe

Lunner
12-06-2008, 19:49
All working now, cleaned up the earth from the coil to the turret, again and tried it and it fired up.

All running sweet now :)

Just gotta bleed brakes and get it MOTed tomorrow

Crossers
12-06-2008, 22:33
I was gonna say deffo an earthing problem, think i've experienced every type of earthing problem.....including this one lol

Paul

MicKPM
13-06-2008, 07:33
Glad you found the problem matey... It's always something really bloody simple in the end. You've just got to pick a point to start at and work thru the possibles one at a time to rule them out and move on to the next.

The number of times Stan has saved my ass before is unreal. I'm suprised he still picks up my phone calls to be honest :lol:

MAXIBOY
13-06-2008, 08:38
Glad you found the problem matey... It's always something really bloody simple in the end. You've just got to pick a point to start at and work thru the possibles one at a time to rule them out and move on to the next.

The number of times Stan has had my ass before is unreal. I'm suprised he still picks up my phone calls to be honest :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

8)

Lunner
13-06-2008, 09:06
Haha, suppose i was due some bad luck, every other time I've had hte engine out or rebuilt it or swapped shells etc its fired up and worked first time

Lunner
13-06-2008, 09:07
Cheers for sll your help guys :)

stan
13-06-2008, 13:07

The number of times Stan has had my ass before is unreal. I'm suprised he still picks up my phone calls to be honest :lol:

YEAH I DREAM OF HIM PLAYING WITH MY PIPE

8)