PDA

View Full Version : Several interesting annoyances after spacers put on...

Wobba
11-06-2008, 14:40
Right, put 15mm spacers on last night. All went well, and the extra length bolts were a good fit etc etc. Being hubcentric, I couldn't see much that could go wrong...

Took for a test drive. Now, my car needs its tracking done and wheel balancing, I know this, but the amout of judder at high speed through steering wheel is a joke now!

When I cruised home at slower speeds I could hear that each rotation of the drivers wheel there was a squeak, which goes away if you press the brakes. Warped disc? Within 10 mins of putting spacers on? Seems to be the case...

So I take it apart and check it all over, cant see anything wrong, all is tight. test again, problems still there.

Also, something I didnt notice pre-spacers...

Looking at the car head on, and looking at each front arch, you can see the passenger side is still more recessed under the arches more than drivers side...I dont gee it? I wonder is the driveshaft is popping out or some TWAT has put the wrong type of shaft on at some stage. Why could it be like this?

white16valver
11-06-2008, 16:21
Short answer:

Get it widetracked ;) lol :P

Long answer:

Take the spacers back off and go for another test - if the problems go away then I think it's safe to say the spacers are bad, mmmkay? lol

re: the different 'recesses' of the wheels in the arches - are the spacers definitely the same size? Have you snapped a spring on one side so the wheel looks like it's tucked in further because the arch is lower? Have you had your camber checked on a 4-wheel wheel alignment to see if they're the same?

:)

Lunner
11-06-2008, 16:21
I used to ahve 15mm hub centric spacers and they too gave a vibration at high seeds, just do it properly and get a widetrack

Wobba
11-06-2008, 16:53
Widetracking a lot more work and lot more money, may as well buy a Williams.

Wobba
11-06-2008, 17:01
Not had the wheels done at all and wont bother until I do my track rod ends this weekend. Have new springs, will fit this weekend as well!

No doubt I'll be spamming here with new problems with the track rods and springs next week.

summeh
11-06-2008, 17:40
I guess the spacers need balancing, lol.

Wobba
11-06-2008, 18:18
heh, well, whole bloody car does! I found that the camber on drivers side is more than that of nearside, so it looks wider...but it isnt, it just sticks out more on the bottom. Dunno why!

MAXIBOY
11-06-2008, 18:52
because some things bent or because the tracking is seriously out and the wider track is increasing the symptoms...mines running 25mm's each side and no problems...

Wobba
11-06-2008, 19:17
I was thinking the wider track and spacers themselves had exagerated the symptoms of bad tracking and worn track rods. At low speeds thats not a problem, but the brakes are causing me concern, I can feel them grabbing occassionally. It's not helping performance!

Think I'll take em off for now.

Coops
11-06-2008, 21:10
any excessive vibrations on left cornering mate :?:

i have eibach pro spacers, no high speed issues :twisted:

MAXIBOY
11-06-2008, 21:14
I was thinking the wider track and spacers themselves had exagerated the symptoms of bad tracking and worn track rods. At low speeds thats not a problem, but the brakes are causing me concern, I can feel them grabbing occassionally. It's not helping performance!

Think I'll take em off for now.

do you have abs...

Wobba
11-06-2008, 21:31
No ABS.

I've discovered the problem. It is NOT the spacers, but the actual wheel hub bit where the big bolt sits in the middle of whe wheel (when it's on). I am sure there is a technical term for it, but I am getting old now and my brain is losing big words.

The metal hub bit on the nearside sticks out further than the drivers side. The driver side is a perfect fit, but passenger side cannot sit flush with the spacer when it is put on as the hubcentric sleeve bit gets in the way.

Swapped wheels over. Brakes still touching pad on drivers side once per rotation (unrelated problem...again) and the car pulls very heavily to the right after swapping wheels.

Brake disc does not appear to be sitting flush to the stub axle since doing spacers for some reason, maybe dirt/rust got between them as there were no securing screws. Will take them off and use some used Brembo Max that are kindly being donated to Project: Wobba.

Bloody Renaults!

Coops
11-06-2008, 22:08
take it all apart, clean off all faces load everything up woth copper grease to stop it happening again, and check everything is flush before fitting the next part etc 8)

Wobba
11-06-2008, 23:47
take it all apart, clean off all faces load everything up woth copper grease to stop it happening again, and check everything is flush before fitting the next part etc 8)

Hehe, I'd love to make it work Coops, but the fact is the actual 'sleeve' on the wheel hub is too long for the spacer. It leaves a gap of about 3 or 4mm between it and the face of the brake disc. I tried both spacers. One side fights real snug the other, not :( The spacer is as far on as it is intended to go.

summeh
12-06-2008, 01:36
If you have odd camber on one side, then it could be a bent subframe.

Tracking will not affect camber. Tracking affects Toe In and Toe Out.

You'd be supprised at how easy it is to bend the subframe, and how that PULLS the wishbone inwards at the bottom, as the subframe bends upwards, a common problem caused by INCORRECT JACKING.

If your subframe is bent upwards caused by jacking under the wishbone joining area then you can pretty much guarantee its out. I have a perfectly straight subframe you can use to measure and compare, if required. The difference may be absolutely minimal (half a mm etc) but exagerated by your spacers. Are you sure its not just because the spacer isn't on properly?

Wobba
12-06-2008, 09:24
I am going to remove the spacers. One side wont fit properly, the hub sleeve the wheel goes over is longer than it should be (or more is exposed than should be) and the spacer cannot sit flush with the brake disc.

I have often looked at my subframe, cant see any obvious bends except on the very front bit on the lip where the sump is, but not bad at all.

balancing on wheels is definitely out.

Wobba
12-06-2008, 16:43
Here are pics of the bit I am on about. My Nearside one has more length to it than the driver side, and will not allow the spacer to sit against the brake disc, because, as you slide the spacer on, the inside bit hits against the lip of the sleeve/hub you see in the pic on that side.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/Wishbone202.jpg

And

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/discsleeve.jpg

This is a borrowed pic and not my car.

Is it possible that one brake disc is thicker than the other?

MAXIBOY
12-06-2008, 20:04
yeah some things not right mate should be identical...

Wobba
12-06-2008, 20:58
Indeed. I'll post pics on my project thread as part of my update/ I've taken them off for now and measured the gaps/sleeve length etc

There's about a 1 - 1.5 mm difference in exposed sleeve length on passenger side. Cant visibly see a difference in the 'roundness' of the sleeve. Neither spacer sits comfortably on passenger side hub.

Gonna test drive car soon.

Can only imagine there is a difference in the axle stub or disc itself...or as Summeh said bearings wearing out.

Wobba
12-06-2008, 21:31
Back from my fairly thorough *cough cough* test drive with spacers off and it feels great again! Brake noise gone as well!

I know the car needs a bit of balancing and tracking so I can only assume the problem was that and the inability for the spacer to mate with the passenger side perfectly.

white16valver
13-06-2008, 10:41
widetrack FTW ;)

Wobba
13-06-2008, 11:07
widetrack FTW ;)

Don't start.....

white16valver
13-06-2008, 12:49
;) :P

white16valver
13-06-2008, 12:58
http://www.clio16valver.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15492&highlight=

:D

Wobba
13-06-2008, 13:29
LOL ! I was just looking at that!

white16valver
13-06-2008, 15:38
I'm psychic, me ;) lol

Allan
13-06-2008, 16:53
lol yeah, spacers shoudlnt be an issue, running huge ones on my valver the track is much wider the the williams, hence the silly arch's :D

only wobble i get is from he tyres when they get unbalanced :/