PDA

View Full Version : Weird gearbox and Rev counter not working

greggbradenuk
10-06-2008, 12:04
I bought a clio Willaims 2 yesterday - dead chuffed with it!!

I need a bit of advice with the rev counter and gearbox. When I change from 2nd to 4th gear sometimes there is a bit of a crunch (not too bad), I'm sure the clutch is fully down - is the gearbox on the way out? If so - how much do they cost to replace?

Also the rev counter is a little shady. It ony reads 3,000rpm at a max but the engine is definitely above that - perhaps it;s sticking? Can I sort that myself (i'm no expert) or is it a case for the local garage? Again roughly how much should this be?

While i'm on the point the speedo does wobble at low speed, i've read this is a common fault though - easy to fix? This doesn't bother me that much, but the rev counter would be handy...

If I were to upgrade the front discs - where in London (or the South East) is good to do them and offer good parts.

Thanks in advance!!

Gregg

Wobba
10-06-2008, 14:08
Front discs are very easy to change tourself assuming you have basic tools to jack a car up etc and you are not going for huge discs.

Speedo cable wobble is due to the little plastic fitment in the gearbox wearing out iirc. I think renault had a fix for this using a different plastic bit, I dont know if it is something you get done for free with the recall procedures for stuff like that....

Rev counter..probably a duff dial, or its not plugged in/wired up etc...not too sure about these...may just be a case of taking dash cover off and having a poke behind the dials.

greggbradenuk
10-06-2008, 14:21
Will they really do this via a recall procedure - should I visit local renault garage?

I think the gearbox is buggered - perhaps I need to look at replacements just in case - are these difficuly to get hold of?

I'll have a look at the rev counter this weekend - is it a hard job to get the dash off?

Thanks for your help!

BRUN
10-06-2008, 18:48
no renault wont do this under any kind of recall, no such recall exists as far as im aware

boxes are not that hard to get hold of, though mine went on me all of a sudden and i ended up buying a renault refurb one as i needed my car for work etc, and none were for sale at the time, sure enough loads appeared as soon as id ordered it

greggbradenuk
11-06-2008, 10:37
cheers for your replies.

I think i'll get mine re-conditioned. I've seen kits on eBay for £150 or less, all I need to do is find out who is willing to do it for me and how much they'll charge.

My new beauty is at the garage today having the brakes checked, very bumpy when braking on the motorway, was told by the seller the discs were new (they certainly look it) but I think perhaps they may be warped...

What a pain - I just want to drive the thing!

Wobba
11-06-2008, 12:20
cheers for your replies.

I think i'll get mine re-conditioned. I've seen kits on eBay for £150 or less, all I need to do is find out who is willing to do it for me and how much they'll charge.

My new beauty is at the garage today having the brakes checked, very bumpy when braking on the motorway, was told by the seller the discs were new (they certainly look it) but I think perhaps they may be warped...

What a pain - I just want to drive the thing!

Does the steering wheel vibrate at high speeds? When you say lumpy under braking, does it make your steering a bit more challenging if you see what I mean?

With the windows down at low speeds can you hear any squealing/rubbing sometimes from front wheels?

It could be a warped disc. Buy a Haynes manual and do em yerself if in doubt. It's not hard.

greggbradenuk
11-06-2008, 14:07
Hi - thanks for your reply.

The steering wheel seems to be fine at speed. Just when braking firmly there is a bumpy feeling, the steering is slightly jerky I guess. The guy called from the garage and said the brakes had hardly any wear at all and he said he'll swap the wheels round to see if its them causing the problems.

He did say that the rev counter problem could either be the coil or may have to buy a new cluster that could cost £200. I think i'll tackle this one myself - only question is where do I buy a replacement counter? I can't seem to find any on the net...

On a happy note, it passed the MOT first time!!

Cheers for you help.

Wobba
11-06-2008, 14:11
Well done on MOT. theres plenty of dash dials for sale, not sure about Willy ones...but they do crop up here. £200 is a joke dont bother.

Can get a coil pack off this site as well. Maybe ask Mat Brown, he always has lots of goodies and has sorted me out loads.

I only asked about the wheel shaking as it could be wheel balancing.

greggbradenuk
11-06-2008, 14:35
Thanks for your help - i'll go and get the wheels balanced tonight just in case and i'll PM Mat Brown too (thanks for the heads up). I just want to drive the thing now :o)

FATBOY
14-06-2008, 11:23
:matbrown: hes that popular he even has his own emoticon!! :D

Tammboy
14-06-2008, 16:49
For the Rev counter, you just need to wait until a scrap yard posts up either a clio 16v or a willy on ebay and phone them up. Should only be about £20. Can def replace yourself - half hour max, squeeze white speedo plug at sides to disconnect cable.

With mine the rev counter's not working cos the wire in the front loom fused and melted as there was a short on the fan wiring so problem could be elsewhere.

Wobba
14-06-2008, 20:51
Have you had the wheels balanaced? What was the outcome?

greggbradenuk
16-06-2008, 09:37
Well the car is at Renault Romford this morning. A local garage said it was the o/s driveshaft, gearbox mount and engine mount - i'm getting a second opinion. When i drove it this morning it felt juddery at all speeds and has definitely got worse. It feels like the brakes but I guess the drive shaft is another likely story.

As for the rev counter, i'm waiting for a counter to come up, they cheapest i've found so far is £50 for the whole unit.

Cheers