PDA

View Full Version : HID's...failed

1995clio16v
08-06-2008, 09:45
Hi guys,

My HID's have gone ****ed within about 16hours approx useage (if that)

Heres what happened, the light stopped working, just dead so I thought that it was the bulb.

I then discovered it was blowing the fuses (20amp), so replaced, but it keeps blowing them, as soon as they are turned on the just pop, the light doesnt even fire up.

So I checked all connections, no frays anywhere, checked and tried the earth in different places.

Then last night I was having another tinker and the ballast has absolutely fried itself to death, i really thought I was going to have a fire. It absolutely stunk, hummed of an acid type smell.

Pissed off tbh as Ive paid a lot of money for these.

Anyone any ideas as to why this has happened? Have I done anything wrong? OR ARE THEY JUST CHEAP CHINESE/FAR EAST SHIT?

Im no good with car electrics so am seeking advice.

P.S - I havent bought them off anyone off here

:oops:

MAXIBOY
08-06-2008, 10:52
not sure mate as i've never had hid's but does sounds like faulty ballast packs in my opinion.

Coops
08-06-2008, 13:33
dodgy ballast mate :(

1995clio16v
08-06-2008, 13:44
Yeah, if figured that after it nearly melted my bumper!! :evil:

I just dont want this to keep happening, so wondering if im unlucky or its common....

Definately a fire hazard without question. Might mount mine under the petrol tank next time 8) :shock:

:evil:

Coops
08-06-2008, 14:31
mine have been fine mate, but have seen very little use

1995clio16v
08-06-2008, 15:20
mine have been fine mate, but have seen very little use

tbh coops this was a reservation that I had before buying em because theyre pretty complicated arent they and theyre just cheap things really.

The HID kits that come as standard on BM's and Audi's are prob made in Germany and have the technology.

On the other hand they aren't designed for 16v clios that are 15yrs old!!

Suppose you win some and lose some.

Gutted though as theyre they best mod ive done to the 16v, period!

:evil:

summeh
08-06-2008, 17:18
cheap chinese crap.. ditch them for OEM lights if i was you!

1995clio16v
08-06-2008, 19:03

Your chinese-ers still going ok!?

:o

MAXIBOY
08-06-2008, 20:47
can't these just be got from scrap yards from oem fitment motors cheap...

1995clio16v
08-06-2008, 21:16
can't these just be got from scrap yards from oem fitment motors cheap...

The ballasts maxi?

MAXIBOY
08-06-2008, 22:02
yeah might be better quality from an oem fitment

1995clio16v
08-06-2008, 22:38
Im not truly following here guys, think summeh was pointing this out, sorry!!

You saying get some OEM ballasts?

What renault use for their HID kits/upgrades?

summeh
09-06-2008, 00:20

To be totally honest with you, they "look cool", but the focus on them is appauling. I have not played about with them to set them up correctly though. One of my bulbs wont flick between main/dipped anymore, infact i dont think it ever did on that side.

By going back to OEM i meant just stick the halogen bulbs back in :D But seriously though are your ballasts E-marked? As this should mean they are good build quality etc. The kits I sold where e-marked (this just refers to the ballast). Means they shouldn't be dangerous and have been tested etc. Although my experience of buying cheap stuff from china is putting me off doing so in the future.

1995clio16v
09-06-2008, 08:53

By going back to OEM i meant just stick the halogen bulbs back in :D But seriously though are your ballasts E-marked?

Yeah, thought you meant that, but im really interested in what maxi says about oem ballasts? Ive had a look on the net and they are telephone numbers, maybe theyre cheaper elsewhere?

Yeah, theyre E marked I think and CE marked:-

CE E24

They just look amazing though!!

I will let you know the results of the company that theyre when Ive sorted them out, or at leats HOPEFULLY.

They are not the best for replying to emails, infact appauling.

I get the feeling that they dont wanna swap them, but they cost me £100 and I aint gonna go away!!

I bought these from a UK company envisaging this exact thing happening.

:roll:

Allan
12-06-2008, 13:24
I have been running a set for 2 years now with no problems, and have a second set in the dimma from summy's group buy, but not had any issues with them :S

Im guessing it's poor quality control, some seem ok and others just go pop !
I think ARJ's set had an issue where they burned out there own wires!

1995clio16v
20-06-2008, 19:26
Alrite lads.

Just a quick one, got my replacement ballast today.

HID's direct it is so just a quick post to recommend Martin @ HID's direct.

Replaced it no questions.

Very happy!!

8)