PDA

View Full Version : Any Bikers on here?

Daz.
27-05-2008, 10:08
I'm looking at getting a bike and wanted to know whats a fast starter bike - do you have to start small and work your way up or is it possible for an intelligent male to get on a fast bike and not kill himself!

I know **** all about bikes so suffice to say what I've been looking at is specs and looks...

I've been told a Suzuki SV650 is a good bike to start on as its easy to ride and cheap to buy..

But I keep seeing the Yamaha YZF-R6 and want it :twisted:

I've bought a few magazines but they're not really that helpful - I was hoping to find something along the lines of the back of EVO, a mini review of all the older bikes (I'd be buying second hand).

Some might say I'm mad for looking at bikes before I've had a single lesson but I like to be prepared - I'd either go in with what I know I want than go in at all.

Cheers :D

Jimbo5000
27-05-2008, 15:00
I've been tempted to get a bike myself lately, so would be interested to hear what comes back on this...

I was looking at doing the direct access to get an unrestricted license straight away. I am after a Kawasaki ZX6R, but the £1600 insurance quote I got is putting me off slightly :(

teabag
27-05-2008, 15:05
mmmmmmm R6 :twisted:

Bayliss
27-05-2008, 16:03
i've just applied to do my bike licence Daz. i'm not really into bikes either but i've just craved a bike this year, perhaps just a phase but doing my bike test non the less

number1
27-05-2008, 19:13
Sv650 would be a good beginners choice, good handling and enough grunt to scare you for a lil bit :P im hoping to get a 2000 gsxr600 soon, ive not had a bike for three years now, got full bike license, getting withdrawl symptoms now, theres nothing like it, but just take it easy for a bit, as you'll see why a lot of bikers hate car drivers!

Dave

Daz.
27-05-2008, 20:40
Same here - never fancied one until this year! not sure if I'll even like it yet! :lol:

Joel
27-05-2008, 20:46
R1 FTW !! 8)

number1
27-05-2008, 22:18
Daz if you have never ridden a bike before, go do your cbt, costs about £100 and will give you a taster to biking, you'll have to do it anyway if you want a bike license so what r ya waiting for!

Riding bikes is great....
Getting knocked off aint! Be Alert and Defensive!!

Dave

u33db
28-05-2008, 13:29
Did my Direct access last year which means you can go ride any size of bike straight away - took about 5 days, all day every day and cost about 500quid.

As said you need to do a CBT anyway so may as well get cracking and see if you like that before going any further...it allows you to use up to a 125 as well.

Where are you going to be riding?

If its a commute through town then TBH a 125 will be as quick if not quicker than a bigger bike. If its a weekend toy then you'll need bigger...500cc minimum otherwise you'll get bored.

Everyone will have their recommendations...personally a GPZ500/ER-5/ER-6 are plenty quick, handle well and can be had for under a grand so a good 'starter' big bike.

After doing my test i got a GPZ900 - ok its 24 years old but at 150mph top speed/120bhp it'll keep up with just about any modern bike given enough skill....its also classified as a classic meaning VERY cheap insurance and it only cost me 750quid.

Each to their own tho...like 16v ownership and old bike isn't for everyone so i can see why a 'new' bike is tempting.

simonr85
28-05-2008, 13:43
get the R6, piece of piss to ride, well i say that and ive got a R6 go kart that my mate flipped when it was a bike! :twisted:

no but really any bikes are easy to ride as long as you take care, i dont have a bike license but occassionally have a go of my mates CBR 929 fireblade, CBR600, R6 (was the first motorbike i ever rode), and the 600's are still the smallest sized bike ive ever ridden, Ive never even been on a moped!

u33db
28-05-2008, 13:49
get the R6, piece of piss to ride

Bit common tho!

simonr85
28-05-2008, 15:40
get the R6, piece of piss to ride

Bit common tho!

thats y u keep the williams too :D

seanofnp
28-05-2008, 17:09
I wanted a 2001+ CBR 600 by the end of this year.

I've ridden mopeds and bigger bikes, but when i am ehem, legal il be using a 600 for the time being. Until my stepdad is too frail to ride his Hayabusa -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/shaunus/DSC01890.jpg

Notice how neither my clio or mondeo are allowed the driveway! lol

Dno194
28-05-2008, 22:47
You need to sit on a couple of bikes first and see whether you prefer the upright riding position, or more crouched over like a sportsbike. What roads will you be riding mainly, and how many miles? Is it for commuting or for weekend fun?

I did my direct access course a few years ago and went from a 125cc on to this:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/402032.htm

Now is the time to do your DAS as they are making it more difficult come October.

The SV650 is a good first bike, you won't be disappointed. The older curvy models have a bit of a cult following as they are a very good ride. I knew I'd get bored with the 650 quite quickly, so bought its big brother a few years ago, but hardly get to ride it nowadays, so its up for sale.

You will probably get hammered on insurance for any of the supersports bikes, but it is worth it. :twisted:

The GSXR's, R6's etc are very focused bikes that will give you great feedback, but can leave you achy wrists and a bit stiff on long journeys if you are particularly tall. Most dealers should be happy for you to try a bike out for size. The secondhand market is slow at the moment, so you should be able to get a good deal.

You just have to respect the power and take your time to become familiar with the bike, and how to read the road on two wheels, as its totally different to a car.

Just keep it rubber side down as there are a lot of knobs out there.

Deano

rickyquicky
10-06-2008, 16:12
the honda fireblade is known to be a user friendly bike.....

and they are fast as fook! :shock:

170 on the back of one down a2 :oops: