PDA

View Full Version : ARB polybushes and self centering steering.

Wobba
26-05-2008, 21:02
You know when you go round a corner at slowish speeds, ok? You can usually tickle the accelerator and the car self centres itself and you dont need to give much assistance on the steering wheel for this to happen, right?

Well:

Had some outer ARB polybushes the other day which I fitted and set to half what they suggest on the torquing up as it seemed plenty and there was no sign of it going anywhere near the 20 lb/ft torque on the wrench...

I noticed it was a little reluctant to self centre.

Today I tightened the nuts holding the ARB's on to see what it was like round corners afterwards. It's definitely flatter on turn in and more direct, but you have to wrnech the wheel round back to centre or else it will just keep turning itself!

Is this normal and is there a way to dial it out using other methods?

northy
26-05-2008, 21:04
did you torque all nuts up to the required setting....and not just tight ?

Wobba
26-05-2008, 21:22
did you torque all nuts up to the required setting....and not just tight ?

Well, Summeh and I were tightening them up and they were already looking pretty well sandwiched together at half the recommended torque prior to my adding a few notches on either side today.

The recommendation was 20 nm or lb's (I cant remember which), which is the same as standard bushes, but the are no wher e near that still.

northy
26-05-2008, 21:58
20 is soft...mine torqued up fine.

Wobba
26-05-2008, 23:14
I wonder if its the bushes themselves...

Its all on correctly. How squished do yours look?

I just went out for quite a long drive and gave it some hard cornering, and to be honest, it feels shit hot right now on the twisty's. The problem I am talking of, if it's a problem at all, is when you are over about 50% steering lock and it feels like it wants to pull you further that way rather than seeking to return to going straight forwards.

I really need my tracking done and will be doing that straight after replacing my slightly worn track rods this week.

Coops
27-05-2008, 12:48
do rod ends and have it tracked mate, shud be fine after that

the poly bushes come with longer bolts for the 16v application if they are powerflex like mine, and like you i didnt wind them to the end of the thread as like you say it crushes them rediculously so, so i did them up to the same length overall as the std bushes when they were on if you get me

no issues like yours, and corners bob on

white16valver
27-05-2008, 12:53
Is it standard height or lowered?

Too much camber can produce strange handling lol

Wobba
27-05-2008, 17:23
Cheers Coops. Obviously I read your guide with interest and they do look exactly like yours, and are fitted exactly the same. I have tightened them up so 11 threads are showing (as torquing was getting no-where!) and the handling is less soggy and more direct.

I will do the trackig and rods and see how it goes.

white16valver: It's standard height at moment but it does feel like the camber has changed...weird. I'll have a proper look and stick it on full lock to see if I can visibly see it.

So many things to do, but I love it :D