PDA

View Full Version : Another problem

MatrixGuy
20-05-2008, 13:39
The alternator and belt were changed in November. I had a new battery put in about a month ago.

Now, this morning the car wouldn't start. I called out the AA and the battery was nearly dead! Apparently the alternator is not charging the battery enough, i think.

Does that mean the alternator is duff? :?

richy
20-05-2008, 13:44
either the alternator or the wiring most likely, did they check the battery correctly too?

ive had AA guys who insist the alt is dead when the battery has failed and just wont hold a charge(alt was charging fine btw)

MicKPM
20-05-2008, 13:45
Was it a new alternator? Have you checked the voltage output at the back of the alternator?

Number 1 rule when a car goes to a garage with iffy starting complaints is to sell the owner a new battery though it's rarely the battery at fault ;)

richy
20-05-2008, 13:53
Was it a new alternator? Have you checked the voltage output at the back of the alternator?

Number 1 rule when a car goes to a garage with iffy starting complaints is to sell the owner a new battery though it's rarely the battery at fault ;)

which garage is that lol back street r us?

MicKPM
20-05-2008, 13:58
You should ask the RAC, AA, Halfords, Kwik-Fit really as they've all been caught out doing it ;)

richy
20-05-2008, 14:00
lol there useless though, i would never trust what a AA/RAC man said!

MatrixGuy
20-05-2008, 17:42
hi guys,

it was a new alternator as far as i know. The voltage at the alternator was about 10 amps? not sure if that was right.