PDA

View Full Version : Could anyone make carbon repair arches?

Daz.
19-05-2008, 17:07
What do you reckon?

I'm thinking for the future, I intend to get another one and chances are it'll need its arches doing.

Apart from the fabricating new ones what are peoples ideas of killing off this issue for good?

- New panels are not available anymore are they from renault?

- Lower spec clio repair panels are available but how good do they fit?

- Fibreglass ones are available how strong are these likely to be?

schakal
19-05-2008, 17:10
i reckon you are gheyer of the highest order :P
just scrap it for good god dammit :D

midge
19-05-2008, 17:31
proper carbon ones will be VERY expensive..

Proper carbon is made using heat while it is set.. stuff like the bonnets you can buy are not made like that, they are made just the same as fibreglass.. a odyshop will be able to make the panel.

Daz.
19-05-2008, 17:39
I like the look of the strengthened fibreglass panels but have asked how strong they are..

Graham at the bodyshop I go to is against the idea of fibreglass panels, I don't think he expects that they would be good enough quality or strong enough to replace existing metal panels..

Personally i'd be happy to accept them, although I wouldn't know how they'd fare if they were damaged.

spikey-ben
19-05-2008, 18:11
Full rear quarter panels are still available from renno at £290+vat. alot of pennys but they are genuine. :)

MAXIBOY
19-05-2008, 19:15
my kit was made of fibreglass and not fantastic but was strengthened up with a couple of layers of kevlar..

still wouldn't run one without a cage really as there's too many chelsea tractors my way but others run kit cars etc...

i think they can be as strong as the steel ones and are as good as carbon though but you will pay a weight penalty to get them that strong.

Matty86
19-05-2008, 19:32
i'd just want ones that wouldnt rust! not fussed if it costs a couple of kg :D

northy
19-05-2008, 20:01
buy 1.2 repair sections and modify to fit...alot of work but it can be done

Tommo
19-05-2008, 20:03
Email Streamline Carbon for a quote, they seem to be the best carbon manufacturers at the moment and can make bespoke carbon fibre parts for most cars, although if they are charging £600 for a bonnet then I'd imagine they wouldn't be cheap...

MAXIBOY
19-05-2008, 20:08
and they did a roof too but at around 600/700

plus i don't think they would be much stronger than fibreglass in an accident

Tommo
19-05-2008, 20:21
I'm no expert but I thought carbon fibre (if manufactured properly) was supposed to be stronger than steel but lighter, hence F1 and some supercars using it? Therefore I'd imagine it to be a lot stronger than fibre glass

summeh
19-05-2008, 20:35
carbon fibre is like 4x stronger than steel... although there are different types of strength, tensile, compression, etc, not sure which one this applies to.

summeh
19-05-2008, 20:37
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fiber

"The properties of carbon fiber such as high tensile strength, low weight, and low thermal expansion make it very popular in aerospace, military, and motorsports, along with other competition sports."

Tommo
19-05-2008, 20:41
^^^lol I had a sneek peak on wiki too, didn't realise there was so much science involved.... :shock:

MAXIBOY
19-05-2008, 22:46
I'm no expert but I thought carbon fibre (if manufactured properly) was supposed to be stronger than steel but lighter, hence F1 and some supercars using it? Therefore I'd imagine it to be a lot stronger than fibre glass

yes i agree mate but as you say if manufactured properly and in the right design....but as a single skin rear wing on a clio bonded to the existing steel at some point...as such i doubt it be much better at stopping a 4x4 which was my point..

as a well designed item in the aerospace, military, and motorsports then yes.
but glass fibre as started above can be impregnated to gain added strength as i did on the maxi.

bill.
19-05-2008, 23:36
I intend to get another one and chances are it'll need its arches doing.

not been on here much mate, but what do you mean by you intend to get another one? have you got rid of the willy2? or have i just lost the plot?

Daz.
20-05-2008, 06:50
I wouldn't have though a cage would have been nescecary for just repair panels would it?

I'd take off what was needed from the complete panel and use to suit, I don't think I'd ever get one that didn't only need the first 2-3 inches of the lip sorting out, as we all know they don't rust anywhere else on the back.

Bill I always intended to get another willy to modify but these techniques can be used on my current one also to prolong its life.

white16valver
20-05-2008, 07:59
I've thought about this but I can't see how you'd bond the plastic/GF/CF to the metal shell with any strength?

Surely, what with the bendy shell, they'd just twist off in tight corners at high speed??

If it was caged then I might think about it - hearing how my sunroof creaks when the car's all iced up over winter, I'm really not sure it'd be strong enough without one lol

MAXIBOY
20-05-2008, 08:09
you can bond with strength but if using complete rear quarters like myself i would still recommended a cage.
small repair panels would be fine i think.

Daz.
20-05-2008, 08:11
^^ I agree, the actual thickness of the lip that rusts anyway would do bugger all in a crash anyway at best would help shield the wheel from damage but it'd be a write off anyway