PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt change Help

spikey-ben
17-05-2008, 20:11
Im changing the cambelt on my willy 1 this week and have been told its a bit of a nightmare job to do. Ive been told i need core plugs for some reason can anyone shed any light on this. Ive got the replacment pulleys and tensioner to go on in the kit.
Cheer Ben :)

Lunner
17-05-2008, 20:18
Don't need core plugs thats bollocks

It is a right bastard to do with the engine in, only tip is jack the engine up as high as possible to gain access, tbh if i was doing it, esp changing the pullies the engine would come out, much easier and you ensure you do everything up properly then.

With engine out prolly 15 min job, with engine in good few hours, depends how familier you are with taking engines out and if you have a hoist

spikey-ben
17-05-2008, 20:27
Yeah thats what i thought, but a mechanic friend seems to beleave i will need 2? odd init think he's checked in a cambelt manual. Will be doing it with engine in car im afraid. :( :(

Bailey_1260
17-05-2008, 20:30
Best to change the aux belt aswell, which i think is where he means you need 2.

make sure you get everything lined up and locked off.

Maybee change the water pump at the same time.

Bailey

BRUN
17-05-2008, 22:05
you do replace 2 plastic plugs on the newer range of 16v cars, but to the best of my knowledge, not on these old engines

spikey-ben
17-05-2008, 22:07
will stan know?

MAXIBOY
17-05-2008, 22:20
there no need to do core plugs while doing the belt..water pump maybe but not core plugs...

Lunner
18-05-2008, 09:04
No need really to line owt up, use existing timing marks, or make your own on the pllies using tip ex, never quite worked this lining stuff up and locking stuff off business

Bailey_1260
18-05-2008, 10:04
No need really to line owt up, use existing timing marks, or make your own on the pllies using tip ex, never quite worked this lining stuff up and locking stuff off business

because the cams can move slightly when the belt is off because of the lobes IIRC, just to make sure its all ok once the new belt is on.

doesnt realy matter if you make your own marks or use the existing ones i suppose, matter more of engines like the 17 2 where they have a floating cam

(correct me if i am wrong :D)

Lunner
18-05-2008, 10:38
Dunno owt about the 17 2 engines, but i do know williams/valver engines :) The timing marks i use do the same job as your locking the cams