PDA

View Full Version : Overheating... urgent!!!

J o n
19-06-2005, 13:20
right, just been out to get some air in my tyres to head over to York and the car get's up to nomal temp as does oil, then it slowly starts creeping up to beyond the point where the fan would normally kick in and cool it down... problem is that the fan IS coming on but is doing feck all... :?

It was doing this yesterday, but I put this down to the heat, but today it is worse... I have topped up the coolant and still doing the same shit and there's no sign of a leak... I was driving with the heating on full blast and this stopped it from going up yesterday, but it's still getting hotter... please tell me this is nothing major... :x

Mark_Ritchspeed
19-06-2005, 13:27
If you are sure that coolant is not visibly leaking from anywhere, then the signs arent good.

Is it possibly the coolant just needs bleeding?

Is it possible the seal has gone on the coolant cap?

If its actually losing water, but you cant see where from it may be the headgasket.

Also check your carpets arent wet which would point to the heater matrix.

BenR
19-06-2005, 13:46
When its warming up, run your hand along the rad, from the bottom to the top, feel where the heat stops. If its hot all the way to the top then there are no air locks, if it stops halfway down then you have one.

Check the thermostat, if that isnt opening or is sticking.

Andyvalver
19-06-2005, 13:51
try that^^^^^

Water pump fooked?

J o n
19-06-2005, 13:58
deffo not leaking... went and had another look and the bottle is in fine condition as far as I can tell... no water on carpets etc... i had the steel headgasket kit all put in not so long back when I got the new engine... I hope to god it isn't that... :shock:

Purple
19-06-2005, 14:12
How high does the water temp get? A few mm past the 3rd major mark should be OK. Probably due to the weather there now.

VIPERONE
19-06-2005, 14:38
bleed your rad

Slithers
19-06-2005, 15:45
Prob just the stat thats seized mate.

Ill help u change it over if so.

J o n
20-06-2005, 13:06
**** knows wassup with it... it's losing 3/4 coolant a day tho! :shock:

no leak either :? so christ knows... I stupidly drove to work today, although it didn't even get chance to get to normal operational temp thankfully...

northy
20-06-2005, 13:10
check your oil filler cap mate....tell me what it looks like underneath it.

J o n
20-06-2005, 13:18
forgot to check that... will do it on the way home in a couple of hours... is the head has gone I'm gonna set this ****ing car on fire and just claim on it... getting bored of this shit now... I had thought about getting another Williams and putting my engine in... or a valver and doing a 'job' on mine... this was discussed at length last night... it's amazing how many dodgy mates I have that are willing... no, more insistant that I enlist their help and do this! lol

Jamie.
20-06-2005, 13:28
my willy runs at the first major mark on the water temp and very rarely goes above that. even this hot weather isnt making too much diff to me, in town driving the water temp sits inbetween the two major bars (middle).also the oil temp runs at 80 degrees to, thats on an expressway at 65mph. when i boot it, it gets up to 100 but then will setlle back down to 80 again. ive never seen my oil run hotter than 100ish
wierd how every1 elses runs so much hotter than mine.

J o n
20-06-2005, 13:44
oil temps are exactly the same on mine, never goes above 100 and settles at 80... overheating is a worry tho as the fan is coming on when it should do... i have the BB tuning fan switch...

Jamie.
20-06-2005, 13:50
could there be something wrong with the "speed" of the fan, that is it is not going round fast enough becasue something is wrong with the mechanics of it causing it to overheat?
could it be a problem with the headgasket? have u had that tested as that sounds as if it could be the problem. does it heat up any quicker or does it heat up normally and keep going?

J o n
20-06-2005, 13:52
it heats up normally then keeps going and going and going... fan speed looks to be normal, although I cant really tell... I think it's working anyway... no idea on performace difference either, as i've not dared take the revs over 3k... :?

Swervin_Mervin
20-06-2005, 13:53
You checked the rad yet for hot spots? Sounds like an air lock to me.

Kelly
20-06-2005, 13:58
Mine did this, couldnt see a leak, there was though a small hole in the radiator, causing the thing to constantly overheat and lose most of the coolant. Just an idea..

Purple
20-06-2005, 14:10
Sounds like it's working but at a lower efficiency, and the hot weather is making it more apparent than in cooler temps.

Maybe a flush and clean the rad fins might cure it. Check the hose pipes are fitted securely. Are the rest of the electrics running nicely? The fan needs fairly strong currents to drive it well.

J o n
20-06-2005, 14:21
hope it's something cheap to fix whatever it is... lol

Mehdi's gonna have a quick look for me shortly anyway... i'll kepp y'all posted...

clean16v
20-06-2005, 14:46
i'm almost 100% sure its the thermo thats seized, fan switch is picking up the heat, fan kicks in, but the thermo isn't lettting the water round the systerm. Will check it out when you pop over though mate, perfect excuse for the low temp fan switch and it takes 10 mins to fit. Unless Trevors doing it

Kelly
20-06-2005, 15:44
Unless Trevors doing it

:lol:

BenR
20-06-2005, 16:08
could be the coolant that is brown?

Lunner
20-06-2005, 16:48

:roll:

This is getting boring now

richy
20-06-2005, 21:41
mine overheated on saturday, the fan didnt kick in and the expansion bottle split and sprayed coolant 4ft in the air soaking the car in it, still not fixed the fan but got a new bottle and doesnt appear to have done any damage to engine , fcuking cooling systems are wank!

smokey
21-06-2005, 12:23

Who is this boring twat? :evil:

FlamingMonkey
21-06-2005, 12:33

Who is this boring twat? :evil:

Ben

J o n
21-06-2005, 12:43
shut it smokey you pleb, Ben built the white car that Stromba is slagging off for having brown coolant :roll:

i'm surprised Ben is still ****ing here with all the shit he gets... my last post anyway, laters.

oh, it was the stat too... thank fook

Jamie.
21-06-2005, 13:22
let us know when u get to the bottom of this one mate, as it sounds like a few of us have had this problem in the past one way or another.

Winston
21-06-2005, 15:11
The stat :roll: .....Is it running ok now, bar the other sounds lol