PDA

View Full Version : MOT today - place your bets now!

white16valver
15-05-2008, 10:36
Had to book the bloody thing in for an MOT today - forgot till last weekend that it's up next week :roll: and I need to be able to drive it to get things fixed :lol: so thought I'd get it done now so I still have a week to go on the old one! lol

Things I think it will fail on:

N/S/F wheel bearing
dead sidelight warning light on the dash
perhaps emissions if it's having a bad day lol
perhaps headlight adjustment, seeing as I had to do them myself, against a wall, at half 9 last night... :lol:

white16valver
15-05-2008, 19:22
Well, randomly, it's failed on excessive rust to the rear subframe mounting area (?) and 14% efficiency on the nearside handbrake LoL :lol:

How easy are new handbrake cables to do? And rear calipers? I think I'll have a go myself at doing them if they're not too hard :oops: :)

I'm still amazed it didn't fail on NSF wheel bearing - it's noisy as hell at the moment!

16v_paddy
15-05-2008, 20:31
You're probably better off changin the discs & pads and maybe adjusting the handbrake cable to sort the brakes tbh

As for the excessive rust issue, that either sounds like total bolox bein spouted by a :cowboy: garage or somethin serious to the point of scrapping the car :shock:

I'd ask someone else on here about that as excessive rust on the rear subframe mounting area would suggest that your rear beam could drop off at any time. Just doesn't sound right to me imo

Lunner
15-05-2008, 20:33
Rear subframe mounting is by the front of the footwells, no where near the rear beam, that would be rear beam mounting ;)

16v_paddy
15-05-2008, 20:34
:oops: :oops: yeah just realised that after reading it again :oops: :oops:

FATBOY
15-05-2008, 21:12
where was your MOT done at????

white16valver
16-05-2008, 07:59
Hanningfield Motors in, er, East Hanningfield LoL

Was £40 and they seemed less like a Shit-fit type of chain garage that was going to screw me over...

I'll jack it up at the weekend and poke around. From what he was saying it's possible to move the inner sill it's so badly gone? :shock: :?

I'm not entirely sure where I'm looking though so will have to rely on what people have said above to guide me :oops: lol

Unless anyone local and knowledgeable fancies popping over...? :wink: :lol:

kenny
16-05-2008, 09:20
[quote="white16valver"]Hanningfield Motors in, er, East Hanningfield LoL

You must be somewhere local to me, I have used this garage for Mot's for the best part of 20years, and stuck with it when the 2 lads there took over a few years ago. Have never had any reason to doubt their word so I will be interested to hear if you find anything different.

white16valver
20-05-2008, 08:09
I'm not that far from there :)

Have you had any work done by them? Like welding? I'm getting quotes at the moment and am hoping it's not going to cost a fortune...

kenny
20-05-2008, 23:17
Never had anything major like that, had a big service done when I first got williams, cam belt, auxuilliary belt, alternator, water pump and engine service, cant remember exact cost but getting near £500.

kenny
20-05-2008, 23:28
Didn't really answer the question did it. No, never had any welding done by them, and up till recently only ever had MoT's and the odd job done there as I've always done my own. That said I couldn't fault the mechanical work I have had done there. What is required welding wise?

white16valver
21-05-2008, 18:20
"Nearside Rear (Outer Sill) subframe mounting excessively corroded"

:(

Which I assume is the round, roughly-finished bit that goes between the bottom of the doors/wing and the chassis rails?? :?: