PDA

View Full Version : Breaking proceeds vs Selling

Jamie.
14-05-2008, 19:13
Due to the recent lack of confidence in the market when it comes to selling williams's recently i am thinking i may have to break the car. After seeing some members struggle to sell over a course of months im not too bothered about losing a couple of hundred to get it gone. I want £2800 and from what i have priced up i think that i could break for £2000 whereas trade in would only be circa £1200.

What are peoples estimates on breaking values - would be handy to hear from mat and richy hear, especially since richy recently broke his 3.

richy
14-05-2008, 19:29
pm'd you

i personally wouldnt break yours as its too good condition!

FATBOY
14-05-2008, 20:29
dibs on door cards,front and rear bumpers,tailgate and bonnet. thats if you break of course :wink:

think long and hard about breaking mate. one less williams 3 on the road if you do :(

doug2.0
14-05-2008, 20:29
your all murdering scum to me :wink:

Lunner
14-05-2008, 20:38
dibs on gearbox

titcharoony
14-05-2008, 20:50
dibs on boot n drivers seat :p, and slam panel

Jamie.
14-05-2008, 21:39
Thanks richy.

Pm'd you back.

FATBOY
14-05-2008, 21:58
judging by your location blurb under your avatar. your selling then mate??? good decision 8) good luck with it mate.

Jamie.
14-05-2008, 22:06
Its been like that for ages - i will sell it.

Not sure how much success i will have. Will pop it on trader end of the month.

bill.
14-05-2008, 22:30
stick it on pistonheads

white16valver
15-05-2008, 08:20
Don't break a good one :(

In years to come and they're impossible to get hold of, we'll regret losing so many! :(

Tommo
15-05-2008, 08:43
Why not just sell for a cheaper price to get it gone, it's far too nice to break. Or keep hold for another year, hopefully the market will have picked up by then

northy
15-05-2008, 10:26
anyone who breaks a williams one in my eyes is silly....keep it for sale

MatrixGuy
15-05-2008, 13:33
anyone who breaks a williams one in my eyes is silly....keep it for sale

agree. i would be so upset if it was mine. lol :cry:

Coops
15-05-2008, 13:58
his is a 3, technically rarer and to those with a willy 3 still it can only be a good thing, less cars means one left are even more exclusive :wink:

northy
15-05-2008, 15:36
nar coops, not in my eyes. Crazy man talk is that

I agree they are getting rarer and thats one way of making them rarer but any williams 1 is worth saving. Espeically with rust claiming so many of them.

MicKPM
15-05-2008, 16:23
I agree with Northy but I can sympathis with the guys position also. Our old 19 hatch was worth more in bits than it was as a 200bhp 2.0 16v bodied car so if you're in it for the money you simply go to your market... and a Williams (1, 2 or 3) will always be worth more cut up to feed the enthusiasts like yourselves than it would be as a complete car.

There are exceptions of course but generally bits make bucks ;)

Rich
15-05-2008, 16:48
not being funny but the williams value isnt as high as some people make it out to be on here anymore, not even for a good example, this is reflected by nobody wanting to pay 3k for one! there are much better and newer cars out there for that kind of money which don't need as much care and attention machanically as a williams. hence a dead market these days for any good ones

MicKPM
15-05-2008, 17:03
Indeed - A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm loyal to the silver diamond so i'll always have Renaults but i'm not sure what to get next... maybe a Mk1 Clio RS 1 7 2 as they're dirt cheap now but I also fancy another Laguna II (Glutten for punishment or what)

Tommo
15-05-2008, 17:38
What's wrong with everyone!! Cutting up a mint williams (1,2 or 3) is just crazy in my eyes, I could never do that to mine no matter how desperate, there's too much sentimental value. Yes maybe worth more in bits on the current market but I'd much rather let her go cheaper to another enthusiast who would enjoy and look after the car as much as I have.

rob-legend
15-05-2008, 18:01
i agree, don't break it, keep it, it won;'t be long till theres hardly any left, although if you do break it, dibs on a sump :D 8)

Tommo
15-05-2008, 18:15
There's hardly any left now, I can go months without seeing another one on the road, apart from Jamie's which I see every now and again around Chester

summeh
15-05-2008, 18:36
If its a 3 then definately break the bastard up. :wink:

Daz.
15-05-2008, 18:40
Break em all!

It will get to a point one day that owning a willy 1 would be simple a bonus, everyone will be fighting to get any version they can

titcharoony
15-05-2008, 19:14
agreed. look at the 205gti, they can fetch silly money now. i sold mine for 900 about 6 years ago, i saw a similar one go a week ago for 1500

rickyquicky
16-05-2008, 09:59
small hatchbacks unfortunately cant really ever demand a sky - high price, no matter how good or sought after.

these will always be desirable cars, but when you see them up to 5-6k thats when your heading into pretty decent car territory and thats when the price starts stalling, it can only go up comparatively.

look at corrado vr6's this is another 'classic' but it appeals to a wider market and it competes at a middle range (slightly more prestige), so these can demand a higher price, as in relation to whats on the market.

rickyquicky
16-05-2008, 10:02
sorry i didnt actually make a point...

wheres the edit button :x

basically thats why we are all having trouble getting good money for the williams!

i dont think there will ever be a big increase in value of these cars, at the end of the day it is just a small hatchback

but i love mine as much as anyone else on here :D

northy
16-05-2008, 10:05
If its a 3 then definately break the B**t**d up. :wink:

lol i bet these will be the rarest overall - with all the rust claiming so many of them now.

FlamingMonkey
16-05-2008, 12:10
Swap you for a Cup :D

titcharoony
16-05-2008, 15:59
swap you for an egg cup.

Daz.
16-05-2008, 20:24

Stop trying to swap that thing! :D

Jamie.
16-05-2008, 20:52
Yeh I dont think the Williams is really that valuable anymore but does hold a certain sentimental value to me. I think a very reasonable value to sell for is £2,500 but we will have to see.

Unfortunatley I just want a newer car with better mpg now.

richy
16-05-2008, 21:02
i personally think £2.5k for a good example isnt a bad price at all for the buyer, but as said it just seems like there isnt the market for them anymore really,

shame but its one reason why i broke mine, i knew i would struggle to get anything decent for it as it needed to much bodywork attention, mechanically sound though!

love ownering a fairly new car but im carefull about were i take it as i dont want it dented etc(like most ppl would) as mine is virtually spotless!

Jamie.
16-05-2008, 21:13
Yeh you are right.

I want to get a 172 next with the view to possibly getting a 182 dependant on certain monetary issues to be resolved in the next 3 months.

Id like to spend 4-5k which will get me what i want - a newer, less raw, easy to live with car on low miles. It is a shame as the Williams has always been spot on for me and has been a model car to own which in some ways is why i want to break it. I dont want to see some cunt killing it after all my hard work.

richy
16-05-2008, 21:24
i bought the 182 for some of them reasons, comfy and easy to drive plus quick as std, easy to change mode of driving were i found in the williams i just wanted to bomb about non stop lol

no need for a 172 cup when i have the trackcar, although i am selling my 182 in the next few month, need a diesel tow car, dont wanna do it but needs must!

and i understand what you mean about selling it, dont want it to end up shagged as the next owner wouldnt look after it!

Daz.
17-05-2008, 07:06
Good prices for willys will return I've no doubt about that but its going through that phase at the moment - will last a while too I'm afraid but people who have good ones that hang onto them will reap the benefits in years to come - its how much your prepared to wait thats the question.

172 mk1's are cheap as chips at the moment, you can get one for 3k with between 60-80k on the clock on say an x reg. A good example willy will fetch the same amount with 80k-100k on the clock on an L plate..

So its still too bad yet :D

FlamingMonkey
18-05-2008, 08:52

haha no one wants it!

No idea why tis a great example 8)

Daz.
18-05-2008, 11:16

haha no one wants it!

No idea why tis a great example 8)

I'll swap ya :wink:

white16valver
20-05-2008, 08:25
How much would it cost to get a good, full strip down, bare metal respray? Couple of grand?

You can get all the major suspension parts you'd need for under a grand I reckon.

Engines go on forever so you wouldn't have to change it.

Panels you can pick up pretty cheap secondhand, and even get some ebay bargains sometimes.

I reckon you could have a 'new' williams for under £3.5k if you were willing and able to do the work yourself. Surely that would be better than a newer car for the same money? I know you'd never get it back when you sold it but it's just the same as watching a new car depreciate, plus you'd have a great car that you loved driving and should last several more years before it needs any major work :) 8)

Zollo
20-05-2008, 13:28
I wouldn't bother stripping the car mate. Right pain in the ball bag. You need the space for a start. Then you need plenty of time to take the thing apart, then advertise the parts, then answer emails/phone calls, then pack parts up and take them to the Post Office. And you'll have a stripped shell hanging around for a couple of months. And after all that, I doubt you'd have made £2500?

I'd prefer to let it go for £2k and do without the hassle...

richy
20-05-2008, 13:29
I wouldn't bother stripping the car mate. Right pain in the ball bag. You need the space for a start. Then you need plenty of time to take the thing apart, then advertise the parts, then answer emails/phone calls, then pack parts up and take them to the Post Office. And you'll have a stripped shell hanging around for a couple of months. And after all that, I doubt you'd have made £2500?

I'd prefer to let it go for £2k and do without the hassle...

yup certainly is! ive still got a few bits floating about but money wise i made enough! hit the target i had lol

busterhymes
20-05-2008, 15:43
interesting points of view i have a very tidy williams 1 no major issues runs well and have dropped from £2950 to £2300 and still no interest and now at point where i am taking a loss on it after all the work and expense put in so where do i go next thats the dilemma

Jamie.
20-05-2008, 17:00
I think we have all made a loss mate.

Mine cost me £4k three years ago and I dread to think how much money I have ploughed into it. One new arch, one sprayed, new boot, 4 pots, wheels refurbed, exhaust, services, battery, alternator, rear shocks, welded steering column and a shit load of labour cost. If I sold mine for £2k i think i would recoup a 1/3 of my total costs.

I think the problem is that they are so old and seem to have a bad reputation especially on clio sport, despite none of the ****ers owning them and mine always been spot on they are very difficult to sell.

white16valver
20-05-2008, 18:43
I think it is the age issue - people see an 'old' car and assume problems galore.

Which is a pretty fair assessment really... LOL :lol:

But, seriously, at some point they'll become so rare that people will pay more for them, especially when they're in good nick and have had all the necessary work done on them.

I don't think it's realistic to expect to actually make money on them but if you hold on to one you may get more in the long term when the market rises, but that'll probably be offset by the increased costs incurred till you get rid of it! lol

I think we should own them for the enjoyment they give (when the bloody things work :roll: :lol:) and think about how we're ultimately paying out less than some fool paying out ££££ each year in depreciation for a car that's slower, less agile, and less fun :P 8)

busterhymes
20-05-2008, 20:35
all sound points and wasnt in it for the cash but would be nice to have a modest return do agree with point that older cars can be unreliable but on the flipside that can be just as relevant with newer cars if owners fail to maintain there vehicle and from looking at the length some of the members go to to keep there cars on the road i think they care more for there pride and joys or headaches than the average driver

Daz.
20-05-2008, 21:27
At the end of the day chaps its a 13 year old clio - money doesn't come into it! there is none to be had!

Many many years maybe yes, but if your buying one to make money in the long term I wouldn't bother.

Robertio
26-05-2008, 22:07
Unfortunatley I just want a newer car with better mpg now.

What are you planning? Unless you go diesel very few heavy modern cars with reasonable performance return better mpg than a Williams. I dropped approx 5mpg going from an Alfa 156 JTD to my Clio and the difference in fuel price takes care of most of that.

You also have to remember anything from 2001 onwards gets emissions road tax, so anything quick is likely to cost more pennies each year in tax.

The only modern(ish) vaguely affordable cars I'd have would be an S2000 and a Fiat 500, though only if I could find a way of getting rid of their power steering setups. As it is I'd rather have an original Lotus Elan to go along with my existing Williams (road car) and V8 RX-7 (track car) to cover all my motoring needs 8)

Don't break it :cry: If you are planning this route take into account the hassle of stripping it down (a couple of days) the number of timewasters asking for bits then not replying to your reponses, all the trips to the post office (possibly requiring time off work) to send bits off, the subsequent problems with bits going missing/people saying parts were broken on arrival/not what they agreed to buy.
Might be worth selling on your fancy brakes for a couple of hundred plus standard items. Maybe find someone willing to swap worn standard wheels plus a couple of hundred for your refurbished ones. The car may not then be immaculate, but you will be pricing it at a level where there may be more interest.
In a price against condition comparison I paid a lot more for mine, a few months ago, than you are after for yours. I've now paid more than you are after and still have a long way to go to make my car immaculate (or even tidy). There are buyers out there if you can hold on until one of them comes along.