PDA

View Full Version : Brakes and Advice

Jamie.
18-06-2005, 23:42
im considering getting a brake conversion as i aint impressed with the barkes on me willy 3. i somewhat believe that sponges would be more usful.
any suggestions for what make etc. dont want anything mega pricy, however as Richy will tell u im a novice when it comes to modding. can i fit em etc etc.

cheers for ya advice guys an gals

Rich
18-06-2005, 23:56
you could fit them yourself so long as you know how to bleed brakes and undo brake lines and use an angle grinder! piece of piss mate and git the wilwoods of mark well worth it as richy will tell you!

Daz
19-06-2005, 08:35
I have Brembo Max Discs and Standard pads - very impressed.

If you do want new brakes, like, completely, I'd get the 4pot Kit Mark is selling.. good price, and performs well too..

richy
19-06-2005, 09:53
yeah the wilwoods are fantastic, some amazing clamping power! def talk to mark about them if u can afford them, well worth it! 8)

Lunner
19-06-2005, 13:16
Std brakes are more then enough, just need to make sure tehy are all working 100%, and you have decvent discs and pads

POWARTEK
19-06-2005, 19:18
Really depends what ur going to use it for and what your budget is.
For fast road use u will get away with and std size upgrade till u start touching silly power, if u do liek or maybe want to try some track action id go up a size or 2.

Mark_Ritchspeed
19-06-2005, 22:44
Just remember its not the disc size that gives you the stronger brakes, but the caliper choice. :wink:

2 live
19-06-2005, 22:46
yep^^^^^^^^^^ id rather have twice the clamping force if i wanted to stop quicker....thatl be more pistons in the calipers then lol

POWARTEK
20-06-2005, 10:56
very true, but the bigger the disc the bigger the clamping area too.

KingStromba
20-06-2005, 10:58
Actually braking force could be expressed as a friction coefficient. Anything that increases friction would improve braking (and hence heat as a side effect) :wink:

Lunner
20-06-2005, 11:31
And getting inot bigger brake sizes does improve braking, just not as easy to get big gains as clamping force, its realtivly easy to doubel the clapming force.

say you have 280mm discs, and the main clamping force is say for sake of arguement 250mm from the centre of the disc, and this clamping force is say 10kN, this will give you a moment of 2500 kNm, if you then keep the same clamping force, but say go for 310 mm discs, hence moving the point which teh force is allpies 30mm outwards, this gives a moment of 2800 kNm, not a massive improvement.

But say you double the force, on a std size disc (280mm), with a clamping force of 20kN, this gives a moment of 5000 kNm, and wiht 30mm bigger discs (310mm), a moment of 5600 kNm

Lunner
20-06-2005, 11:32
Actually braking force could be expressed as a friction coefficient. Anything that increases friction would improve braking (and hence heat as a side effect) :wink:

Anyone rememnber energy flow diagrams from school??

The kinetic(movement) energy is transfewred inot heat, so the more stopping force, the more heat, also other things like a little noise maybe?

Mark_Ritchspeed
20-06-2005, 18:52
Lol, Lunner the scientist.

As for the extra heat generated with extra braking force I'm not convinced. When using the old calipers I used to boil fluid all the time and melt the wheel bearing grease very frquently. The discs would also fall apart due to the excessive heat.

Since going to the Wilwoods (even with pads rated to 1350 degrees) I never get any heat problems as I suppose the pads are always within their temp range on track.

2 live
20-06-2005, 19:01

a bigger disc with same calipers/pads is not a bigger clamping area

Lunner
20-06-2005, 20:13

Correct, as you are using the same calipers, and therefore same pads, its just more offset fromt he centre of the disc

KingStromba
20-06-2005, 20:18
Basic situation is this:

If you go on track or for fast road driving speak to Mark about a wilwood set up, or get another 4 pot brake caliper.

If you just use your car as a road car, rebuild the standard brakes, as it is adequate and wont affect your insurance.

summeh
21-06-2005, 00:51
i just fitted brembo max and mintex m1144's, now off out to test them.

Slithers
21-06-2005, 13:47

Correct, as you are using the same calipers, and therefore same pads, its just more offset fromt he centre of the disc

So the larger discs are so the caliper clamps to the faster rotating part of the disc, so it retards the rotational speed (is that centrifugal or centripetal? i cant remember) more effectivly.

P.S FAO Lunner Decats still fukkin mint mate!!!