PDA

View Full Version : History of the williams

asfb2005
14-05-2008, 09:03
I've been looking everywhere and i can't seem to find any information on why the williams was made. I know its to do with the Williams team winning the F1 title? Does anyone have any links or can someone explain as i need this as research.

Thanks people :D

CharlieG60
14-05-2008, 09:51
That's about it.

simonr85
14-05-2008, 10:26
In 1993, Renault launched the Clio Williams with a limited run of 2500, for racing homologation purposes. The car was named after the then Renault-powered Formula One team WilliamsF1 but Williams had nothing to do with the design or engineering of this Clio; the modifications to the Clio 16S on which it was based were the work of Renault Sport, Renault's motorsport division.

The a 2.0 L 16-valve straight-4 engine rated at 150 PS (110 kW) and a top speed of 215 km/h (134 mph), with performance-tuned ride and handling. Renault later released the Williams 2 and Williams 3 special editions, much to the chagrin of those owners who had been assured of the exclusivity of the "original" Williams. The differences between the three versions of the Williams were largely a reflection of phase changes across the Clio range e.g. the gradual addition of enhanced safety features and cosmetic variations. Other than this, the Williams 1 and 2 had no sunroof and were painted in 449 Sports Blue. The final Williams 3 was painted in a slightly brighter shade of blue and finally gained a sunroof which had long been standard on virtually all previous Clios. The original Williams was the lightest of the three, lacking the electrics necessary for the sunroof or the mirrors but was the only one to sport a metal plaque stating the build number.

Respected motoring journalists consistently rate the Williams as one of the very best hot hatches ever made[citation needed], regardless of era. One common mistake people can make is thinking that the 2.0 16V (F7R) used in the Williams is simply a bored out 1.8 16V (F7P), whereas, in reality the large engine had different size valves, cams and crank. Other differences between the Williams and the Clio 16S it is based on include a wider front track with some parts borrowed from the Renault 19. wider speedline alloys, uprated (JC5) gearbox, bespoke four-to-one manifold, firmer suspension and some cosmetic differences on the exterior and interior

schakal
14-05-2008, 10:31
try searching "history" rather than "hostory"
might help :D

asfb2005
14-05-2008, 10:47
i was rushing, maybe its the hostory im after? :P

Thanks a lot simon, great help!