PDA

View Full Version : alarm queries....

titcharoony
13-05-2008, 23:35
Ok, as northy and mat brown know my car battery went flat after my car not being driven for a few weeks - as a result my car alarm (standard cobra) went off at 5am. as the keyfob wasnt turning it off I had to resort to removing the battery and wrapping the alarm in towels to smother the siren till the alarm battery went flat.
Now, my plan is to charge the battery up over night with a new charger I've bought - re connect the battery, and just make sure I drive the car reguarly until I can get a key for the original alarm. (want to keep the alarm original you see).
Anyone see any problems at all with this? I expect as soon as I re connect the battery, the alarm will go off, but I imagine the keyfob will then turn it off straight away... Oh, and also, the battery I've got, where the hell are you supposed to pop the clamps onto? The pos seems conventional, but the neg looks like theres a random threaded bit sticking out of it...do i clamp to that?

wil4s1
13-05-2008, 23:42
the random threaded bit you are referring to will actually just pop off with a screwdriver or something and leave a normal battery terminal. Remember to take this off if you get a new battery but it should be fine to just put your charger clamp over.

FATBOY
14-05-2008, 17:46
Ok, as northy and mat brown know my car battery went flat after my car not being driven for a few weeks - as a result my car alarm (standard cobra) went off at 5am. as the keyfob wasnt turning it off I had to resort to removing the battery and wrapping the alarm in towels to smother the siren till the alarm battery went flat.
Now, my plan is to charge the battery up over night with a new charger I've bought - re connect the battery, and just make sure I drive the car reguarly until I can get a key for the original alarm. (want to keep the alarm original you see).
Anyone see any problems at all with this? I expect as soon as I re connect the battery, the alarm will go off, but I imagine the keyfob will then turn it off straight away... Oh, and also, the battery I've got, where the hell are you supposed to pop the clamps onto? The pos seems conventional, but the neg looks like theres a random threaded bit sticking out of it...do i clamp to that?

i had exactly the same problems! binned it in the end and went for a new TOAD alarm. when you reconnect the battery after its been charged, the alarm will just beep to rearm itself. hurry up and get a siren key tho!!! there a godsend for when the alarm decides to go off at 5am in the morning!

northy
14-05-2008, 17:55
the battery threads are a friction fit, they just press on.

The alarm will not be armed as the battery went flat, reconnect and it should start up in valat mode (the 15 second imobaliser count down)

titcharoony
14-05-2008, 17:56
i want to keep it std tho! I think ive found a place that can sort me a key out so hopefully thats sorted. - so after ive recharged the battery and reconnected it and the alarm, will the alarm go straight off? if so will the keyfob now disarm as per usual? or are their fresh problems after disconnecting the battery with alarm/immob

titcharoony
14-05-2008, 17:58
ah i see. u posted before i finished me post northrop. Ah ok, Ill reconnect and have the keyfob handy just in case. shudnt have any probs by sounds of it. tempted to leave it till this firm can sort me out with a key (if they can), just in case.

northy
14-05-2008, 18:00
do a search for a alarm shop in romford on this forum mate, ask they for a replacement key set.

titcharoony
14-05-2008, 18:11
ahh cant find um, bloody search facility! does the key just turn off the siren? so the cobra keyfob would still unlock/lock and immobilise?

white16valver
14-05-2008, 18:14
Are they expensive? I really should get another one cut and coded lol

busterhymes
14-05-2008, 20:44
not sure it would help but got a cobra siren with key is that any use in solving your prob??

Lunner
14-05-2008, 20:55
I have a key you can copy if its correct to turn the siren off

northy
15-05-2008, 10:30
ahh cant find um, bloody search facility! does the key just turn off the siren? so the cobra keyfob would still unlock/lock and immobilise?

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10780&highlight=romford