PDA

View Full Version : R5GTT Gearbox's

number1
13-05-2008, 18:49
Has anyone ran a gtt gearbox? my box is whiny and i think it may be giving up soon, just aquired a Gt Turbo gearbox from a friend of my workmate whos into 5gtt's big time, reckons that the turbo box is strong as a coffin nail and some of the gt turbo boys are only considering gearbox upgrades when there over 250bhp

Can anyone shed light on this?

Dave

cliorod
13-05-2008, 19:09
I agree about the strength of the JB3 :wink: ( I think it is that box ).My 5Gt Turbo rally car had a 207 bhp ATF engine in it,and ran this gearbox forever. :roll: :shock: I then sold the box with the LSD,to my mate who has just had a routine check over on it ~ perfect. :D :D His Williams Rally car has an over 200bhp engine in that :roll: :roll:
I do not think it is the boxes JB or JC ,but the treatment off the start line they get.Catch 22 really :oops: :oops: .Quick start ~~ good times :lol: :lol: ~ but more strain on the drive train :oops: :oops:

MAXIBOY
13-05-2008, 19:24
also they have a bad reputation but most are due to very high mileage..

think the JB3 has smaller bearings than the JC5

number1
13-05-2008, 19:32
Mine Currently has a slight whine which has started getting worse recently, its had a whine for at least the 18 months ive had the car, 5th gear anything less than 2.5k and it whines, does it slightly in second too but the box itself is sweet in changing gear etc, got this gt turbo box cheap so might pull it apart and check it and fit it so i can go to fcs, then get my valver box rebuilt if the gtt box fails

cliokiz
13-05-2008, 22:28
Valver boxes don't fit on a R5 engine IIRC (Aaron tried and it wouldn't fit i think)

So not sure if a R5 box fits a valver/williams engine?

MicKPM
14-05-2008, 08:56
The R5 box should pysically fit a valver but the speedo driver is all wrong as the R5 uses an electronic sender.

Also, the JBX series boxes use standard roller bearings. The JCX boxes series use tapered bearings which are stonger and distribute the loads better.

Evogone
14-05-2008, 18:48
I agree about the strength of the JB3 :wink: ( I think it is that box ).My 5Gt Turbo rally car had a 207 bhp ATF engine in it,and ran this gearbox forever. :roll: :shock: I then sold the box with the LSD,to my mate who has just had a routine check over on it ~ perfect. :D :D His Williams Rally car has an over 200bhp engine in that :roll: :roll:
I do not think it is the boxes JB or JC ,but the treatment off the start line they get.Catch 22 really :oops: :oops: .Quick start ~~ good times :lol: :lol: ~ but more strain on the drive train :oops: :oops:

Stop on the start line stuff is the killer plus 1st gear chicanes then crunching 2nd as you always tend to rush it.!!!!

Any S/H LSD's knocking about ???

number1
14-05-2008, 19:44
Im hoping the box is an early one as i believe the phase1 gt turbos to have a cable output...