PDA

View Full Version : Williams 2 - should i buy?

Andy_J
11-05-2008, 22:07
willy 2 - 120k - £1500 ono..

had a look at it today and cosmetically it doesn't look too great, a few rust bubbles coming through, a dinged and scrathched ns door and a pretty heavily chipped bumper.

Mechanically it is pretty sound, documents show it has been looked after and the engine sounds ok.

I didnt drive it but i'm going to have to sort funds out and go back on friday, so first thing i will be doing is going through the history to see whats been done then go out for a spin and have a better look under the hood.

Now i'm thinking it's priced to sell and from the feeling i got when i asked about cash was the guy would take less! maybe i should come in with a much lower offer? The guy knows it needs work but isn't interested in restoring it.
I may be.. although i may just buy it and track it...

If it drives well what would you offer? 1250? 1300?

Cheers (and hello all, this is my first post on williamsclio)

northy
12-05-2008, 08:13
thats cheap for a williams so expect to have to do some work on it....I would spend more and buy a better one initally if i was in your situation....any pictures of the car ?

Andy_J
12-05-2008, 10:34
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/RENAULT+CLIO/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-13-4294966970-4294967142/advert.action?R=200817308314328&distance=8&postcode=ky5+9ld&channel=CARS&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&min_pr=&max_pr=2000&max_mileage=

rickyquicky
12-05-2008, 10:44
seems ok to me, if its got history then id say offer him 1300/1400

if not then i'd say wait for another one to turn up,

i saw one for sale 800 quid!

had done 180,000 miles and the ecu didnt work and it was rusty as fook but it was the cheapest ive seen so far!

and it did have an MOT (just about)

Andy_J
12-05-2008, 13:22
well it's no tax on it but has mot till march. it's history pre 70k has been lost it was owned by a defence lawyer as a company car but it has been "guaranteed in writing" and this was also submitted to the dvla, basically they had full reno service history but lost the book...

since then there have been 2 owners who have kept documentation on even the smallest items that were replaced!

I think i will go with 1300 in my pocket, drive it to see what the gearbox and steering are like and offer from there..

Is it hard work to repair the arches of some minor rust? Is the colour hard to match or does the whole car need to be done at the same time?

rickyquicky
12-05-2008, 15:05
no if the rust is minor it should be fairly straightforward, just make sure you get it right back to bare metal

id say 1300 would be a good price if it has a good engine and is generally a nice straight car.

make sure you read the buying guide as well first, things like play in steering etc are handy to know about before you test drive

:D

rickyquicky
12-05-2008, 15:09
as for colour match its the same with all cars, you'll never really get a perfect match, it just depends on how well it is blended in, and metallics are harder to blend in to old paintwork than flat colours in most or all cases.

Andy_J
12-05-2008, 15:14
I gave it a full read through (twice) and i used to own a mk2 ph1 1.6 16v clio and have done a few gearbox, clutch & suspension changes so know roughly what i'm looking for!

They share the same gearboxes dont they? JB3? and the same brakes.

I'm excited about the thought of owning a williams but dont want to jump into the deep end only to find out she cant swim. (if u know what i mean?) :lol: :)

Andy_J
12-05-2008, 15:15
as for colour match its the same with all cars, you'll never really get a perfect match, it just depends on how well it is blended in, and metallics are harder to blend in to old paintwork than flat colours in most or all cases.

give it a go with a few rattle cans?! :lol:

FATBOY
12-05-2008, 17:31
how did it go??? did you buy???

Andy_J
12-05-2008, 23:53
not bought it yet.. if its still there on friday i'm gonna try arange a test drive.. If it drives well i will offer.

rickyquicky
13-05-2008, 09:48
yeah you can use rattle cans, you could even use a paint brush lol

you could probably do the arches properly, and then just tidy them up with spray cans, then it will just need flatting when a pro can do it properly.

that what ive done many times!

Andy_J
13-05-2008, 13:25
yeah you can use rattle cans, you could even use a paint brush lol

you could probably do the arches properly, and then just tidy them up with spray cans, then it will just need flatting when a pro can do it properly.

that what ive done many times!

It was what i was thinking about.. Might have a go at correcting the scratch on the door too, can hardly make it any worse!

rickyquicky
13-05-2008, 14:54
definatley do not do the scratch on the door with cans!!!

i promise that will make it 10 times worse

with arches you are going from the bottom edge so have somewhere to start blending in from (even then it wont look great)

just use a touch up kit if they are still available or try a bit of t cut or rubbing compound see if that improves it

Andy_J
15-05-2008, 15:26
car has been sold.. never got back to it in time..

Not too bothered as it wasn't mint but was fairly excited at the thought anyway.

Hmm, maybe a mk2 golf it'll have to be then.