PDA

View Full Version : Hello!!

Ivor Williams
11-05-2008, 11:36
Hi guys

I'm new here & am looking for a little project (2nd car) to do up for my first track-slag!! And what no better car to start with, than the CW. 8)

I've had numerous hot hatches before, which include cars such as 2 x 1.9 205's, 2 x 306 GTi-6's & a Clio 16v (+ not to mention a couple of dodgy choices, but don't we all, eh?! :wink:) - The 16v was (is) a great handling car, but just lacked that little bit of grunt, if I'm honest. (No offence intended to any current 16v owners).

I'm now looking to put that right with a Williams, though. :evil:

I know they're only stated as having an extra 13 bhp, but i've heard they're a lot quicker than the 2 power figures may suggest?! (I guess they should be for Ins. group 17 Vs. 12!!! )

I'm not looking for anything too tidy, as you know what it's main function will be, but something that is fairly mechanically sound, not rotten & roadworthy would be ideal, as I'm going to have to drive it to tracks. Interior isn't a problem either, as most of this will be coming out anyway. I can do minor repairs myself, brakes/exhaust etc, but something with a good engine/box would be brill, as that's a little beyond me!!

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello - I'm off to scour the classifieds, now!! :wink:

Wobba
11-05-2008, 19:10
Hello and welcome.

northy
11-05-2008, 19:50
hello and welcome....lots of cheap williams for sale at the min. Let us know if u need any help

MAXIBOY
11-05-2008, 21:47
or you could go hybrid for a track car...

Ivor Williams
11-05-2008, 22:09

What do you mean? Hybrid turbo conversion or transplant from another marque, or something?

Andy_J
11-05-2008, 22:19

What do you mean? Hybrid turbo conversion or transplant from another marque, or something?

valver with a willy lump.

MAXIBOY
11-05-2008, 23:37
as above...people often upgrade valvers with willy engines for track cars as they won't track and strip a decent willy...

Ivor Williams
12-05-2008, 10:44

valver with a willy lump.

Thank God you weren't suggesting putting 300 kgs of batteries in for a Clio Prius!!! :lol:

Ivor Williams
12-05-2008, 12:43
as above...people often upgrade valvers with willy engines for track cars as they won't track and strip a decent willy...

Thanks for all your help so far, chaps.

I know what your saying - It'd be a shame to track a tidy Williams. This is why I was thinking of buying a tatty one with a good engine, box, clutch & MOT. I just thought it'd be easier to find one of these, rather than buy a 16v & do the transplant.

Does the Williams come with a wider track & different suspension, or is it just the engine/manifold/cosmetics etc which are different?

rickyquicky
12-05-2008, 13:04
i think the suspension is essentially the same, but has different wishbones and driveshafts, due to the wider track.

richy
12-05-2008, 17:18
the williams has wider front track, about 34mm overal doesnt sound much but it does make a difference! same with the engine, a few small changes make a bigger difference!

you would need..

both driveshafts
ARB (better design fitment to wishbones)
wishbones
shockers(hub fitment is different)

and wind out the track rods, most will go far enough to cover it!

as said above, most use a valver and stick the williams engine and widetrack in (like myself) as valvers tend to be cheaper and no one cares if you bin them tbh lol