PDA

View Full Version : non runner

teabag
10-05-2008, 10:23
yesterday saw the f7p powered rt fired up for the first time.
so i checked everything was connected and that there was sufficient fuel, put the key in the ignition and turned.......

a few turns of the engine and then cough splutter cough cough it came to a lumpy life. it ran for about a minute on an extremely lumpy idle then died, so i turned the key again, fired up straight away.....then died as soon as it stated, turned the key again....same and so on and so on

it seems like either a fueling issue or a weak spark. any other ideas

*also the ecu light is still flashing and the fan coming in on inginion live??

MicKPM
10-05-2008, 10:54
Sounds like you've got a wiring issue with the lights flashing and fan kicking in straight away. Are you sure you've got the fuel lines hooked up correctly as it sounds like fuel stavation to me.

Justin..
10-05-2008, 11:15
ecu light flashing usually means the immobiliser is active. what phase valver is your ecu from?

davem
10-05-2008, 15:54
sounds like the ecu is immobilised. Not sure why it ran for a minute the firsttime though.
Fan kicking in is a wiring wrong problem! Or sticky relay poss?
Have you got the switch on the radiator plugged in?
if ecu is immobilised it is possible to get it decoded way to tell is to see if the fuel pump continues to run if it starts then stops when cranking over then its immobilised.

teabag
10-05-2008, 17:41
ecu light flashing usually means the immobiliser is active. what phase valver is your ecu from?

the ecu is from an early valver, i check the part number and it says it doesnt have an immobiliser, might just send it for decoding to check though.

fuel flows through the feed line, but nothing seems to flow out of the return line, checked the rail for blockages and there wasnt any, only bit i couldnt check was the pressure reg. could that be blocked and would that make it cut out?

Wobba
10-05-2008, 20:21
ECU's with a code ending 105 are ph1, 103 ph2

Should be fine as my ph1 runs a ph2 ECU.

MicKPM
10-05-2008, 22:02
[quote=Justin..]fuel flows through the feed line, but nothing seems to flow out of the return line, checked the rail for blockages and there wasnt any, only bit i couldnt check was the pressure reg. could that be blocked and would that make it cut out?

Do you mean that you've got the fuel flow connected to the rail but nothing coming out of the rails return when you key the ignition? If so, you've got the lines hooked up wrong to the rail.

The pressure reg works by holding fuel at 1.5/3bar (Depending on the engine speed). The valver fuel pump is capable of flowing at around 5bar IIRC so anything over the regs governing pressure is returned to the tank via the rail. You're saying you've got nothing coming out so you're most likely trying to flow the fuel thru the reg the wrong way and as it's essentially a non-return valve you're getting no fuel thru hence the spluttering.

Mick

Lunner
11-05-2008, 10:13
Feed should be going to the o/s of the rail, and return from the n/s of the rail

AmDaMan
12-05-2008, 08:13
If that's the problem then LOL!

His current setup is:

Feed, connected to the left inlet (nearest the cam cover)
Return, right inlet battery side.

teabag
12-05-2008, 14:04
If that's the problem then LOL!

His current setup is:

Feed, connected to the left inlet (nearest the cam cover)
Return, right inlet battery side.

:oops:

ill swap them round tomorrow then

Lunner
12-05-2008, 17:45
Thats right then

Feed = o/s = drivers side
return = n/s = passneger side

While you're messing about with them can you do me a favour, the lines that run under the car have a connection under the driver's footwell, each of the 3 lines has a colour coded connector, tell me which colour the breather is pls

MatBrown
12-05-2008, 18:41
Thats right then

Feed = o/s = drivers side
return = n/s = passneger side

While you're messing about with them can you do me a favour, the lines that run under the car have a connection under the driver's footwell, each of the 3 lines has a colour coded connector, tell me which colour the breather is pls

White.

Mat.

Lunner
12-05-2008, 18:55
Cheers :)

Unhooked them all months ago, and forgot which was return and breather :oops:

MicKPM
13-05-2008, 08:56
I *believe* Green is the flow and Red is the Return Lunner

teabag
13-05-2008, 13:32
off for round 3 with the car

will let you know how i get on.

teabag
13-05-2008, 18:57
swapped fuel lines around to check of that was problem and it isnt, gotta be the ecu then

AmDaMan
14-05-2008, 15:11
What about the fuel reg then?? If no fuel is flowing back down the return something can't be right..

Borrow Johns ECU.

teabag
14-05-2008, 15:54
What about the fuel reg then?? If no fuel is flowing back down the return something can't be right..

Borrow Johns ECU.

got an unlocked ecu on the way curtosy of midge

if that doesnt work than i dont know what will lol

Lunner
14-05-2008, 16:44
Swap fuel pressure regulator???

If fuel is getting to the rail, but not going out the other end sounds like FPR, or a blocked fuel rail, imobiliser would stop the fuel or spark, not block the rail up

teabag
14-05-2008, 17:22
Swap fuel pressure regulator???

If fuel is getting to the rail, but not going out the other end sounds like FPR, or a blocked fuel rail, imobiliser would stop the fuel or spark, not block the rail up

could be but would the ecu let the rail prime then immobiliser cut in and turn the pump off b4 it has chance to reach the pressure needed to pass the frp (if you get what i mean)

Lunner
14-05-2008, 17:29
Easy enough to find out, disconnect fuel line and see if it keeps pumping while engine is turning over

teabag
14-05-2008, 17:34
yea good point

but the ecu light is flashing, does that mean the immobiliser is active

Lunner
14-05-2008, 17:40
My mate had the same problem with the imobiliser light flashing, couldn't lock or unlock the doors etc, turned out to be a couple of the wires shorting on each other where they went through to the doors, worth a check?

teabag
14-05-2008, 17:42
My mate had the same problem with the imobiliser light flashing, couldn't lock or unlock the doors etc, turned out to be a couple of the wires shorting on each other where they went through to the doors, worth a check?

well we (me and amit) checked the majority of the sensors/earths/connections on the loom, although the fan comes on on a ignition live??

Lunner
14-05-2008, 17:46
Dunno mate, my knowledge of electrics extends to checking for shorts and checking earths and fuses, is quite common for the wires going to the doors to crack and short, 2nd instance i've known of this now