PDA

View Full Version : cv boot on and off help argg

bendee
08-05-2008, 15:10
right trying to replace my cv boot and its all stripped down and i need to know how i get the old one off and a new one on any help please

northy
08-05-2008, 15:24
there is a guide on changing the drive shaft to gearbox gaitor

bendee
08-05-2008, 15:29
thats the gearbox end mines the other end and shaft is still on car dont want to drain the box ect.

MicKPM
08-05-2008, 16:44
Shaft out of the hub assembly then remove the outer CV joint i'm afraid chap.... I can't remember if these are pressed on the shaft as a single unit or if they require the main bearings to be removed to essentially split the joint before you can get to the circlip securing the main body off the joint to the shaft. (if that makes any sense)

bendee
08-05-2008, 17:06
so the hole lot defo has to come off? ive seen pics of a guy whos taken the cv joint off looks like its holded on with a circlip? im really hopeing im not having to take the lot out that would be a right ball ache and only have 1liter of gearbox oil is that enough if i do have the drain the lot?

Lunner
08-05-2008, 17:12
need about 3-4 ltrs iirc

Can always reuse the stuff thats in there, but i wouldn't

number1
08-05-2008, 18:34
theres a circlip, follow the shaft as it goes into the cv joint, and hidden behind all the grease there is a circlip, you need to open the clip outwards, its a F****R as the circlip has to be in the right place and then get a mate to tap or pull on the cv joint, should come off, but i doubt it will first time, much easier when the shafts in a vice tho ;)

davem
08-05-2008, 21:08
go buy a stretchy cv boot and a cone from your local motor factors.
Will cost about a tenner and save you hours.
You put the boot in warm water to make it a little more pliable. Put the cone over the end of the shaft then lube it up and slide the new boot on after cutting the old one off.
Not sure if there is a circlip on these to remove out cv joint as most renaults have a fork type arrangement that is part of the shaft.

bendee
08-05-2008, 22:30
well **** me, what a ball ache today has been ive literally just got in from the pitch black bolting my air box back on its finally done tho 10 hours? maybe haha im useless.

ended up taking the driveshaft out the 3 roller bearings off the end and pulling the boot over everything omg cant belive it was trying the circlip for ages and it was just simply not having it. ah well all back together now and the mrs is pissed cus we was meant to be going out tonight lol.

thanks for the help tho guys, got there in the end

number1
08-05-2008, 22:50
Glad to hear you got it done mate, they take a bit of getting used to getting the joints off, stretchy cv boots are W**K!!! every one ive fitted to my car has split, there too soft and split if you drive fast as they stretch out, ok if you never go above 50mph tho lol

bendee
08-05-2008, 22:58
lol this better last **** doing that again haha the clips didnt fit it either witch was weird so used zip ties lol

white16valver
09-05-2008, 15:43
You guys really aren't convincing me I could do this LoL