PDA

View Full Version : Engine mount

spikey-ben
05-05-2008, 19:27
After having problems chasing my gear stick around the car. Ive sorted the problem by fitting gearbox dogbone.
Theres a knocking sound when i change gear still. And am noticing a sensation that engines trying to rotate a bit when driving if that makes any sense. Im thinking of engine mounts if so how many is there??
Cheers Ben :) :)

katbloke
05-05-2008, 19:38
i belive there are 2 more. under the battery and on the timing belt end of the engine, or you could go down the r19 route or whatever it is

spikey-ben
05-05-2008, 21:38
i belive there are 2 more. under the battery and on the timing belt end of the engine, or you could go down the r19 route or whatever it is
R19 route wots this about :D

katbloke
05-05-2008, 22:52
err a mount that secures gearbox to subframe, loads here have done i havent

MAXIBOY
05-05-2008, 23:03
you can added a further mount between the gearbox and subframe as added on group N rally cars... :D

need a bracket and mount as fitted to the renault 19

eternalife
05-05-2008, 23:12
Can get knocking by the bolt ends used on the dogbone mount hitting the Downpipe. Try turning them the otherway and refitting.

Wobba
05-05-2008, 23:29
Take the battery out, remove the battery platform, visually check the mount underneath and the mount fixture point, which should be bolted into the battery platform I think. You should see a spike on an crane like arm, sometimes the snap.

If it's not that, go to the other mount, underneath the black plastic cover on the timing belt cover. It should be secured on by a single torx screw. Under there, you will see the mount. If you can, jack the engine up gently from the sump making sure it has a solid bit of wood between the jack and the sump itself to avoid any damage. If you have a torque wrench (they need to be torqued up later) you can undo the 4 big nuts on the drivers side mount and inspect it and the rubber coated bracket, as this can also snap off.

If it's none of these and you still have the knocking sound, it could be part of the suspension like worn balljoints, bushes, suspension struts etc.