PDA

View Full Version : oil

rickyquicky
02-05-2008, 10:29
has anyone ever used 5w - 30 oil in the williams? ive topped my oil up with a litre of this (it was in my garage) i figured thats better than low oil!

are these cars supposed to go through oil at this rate? mines done prob half a litre in 6 months

16v_paddy
02-05-2008, 11:02
That sounds ok to me, I was usin a lot more than that in my valver :shock:

But since I fixed my rocker cover gasket and leaky sump I've probably topped up just shy of half a litre in 4 months and I use 0w40.

These cars do use a bit of oil so I wouldnt worry about it, you've just got to keep on top of it

rickyquicky
02-05-2008, 11:33
yeah thats right,

every time i check the oil in my focus it exactly the same! it never uses hardly any, so i wasnt used to this, i checked it on the off-chance and it was below the minimum - the last time i checked it was about half way up!

is 5w - 30 ok to use?

Coops
02-05-2008, 12:16
yeah shud be okay, bit thin imo i'd use 5w 40 personally but shud be okay, altho u say u topped up with that, whats the rest of the oil in there? shouldnt mix grades is all

totally normal to use oil, renault qoute 1 litre per 1000 miles iirc so yours is a good one :lol:

rickyquicky
02-05-2008, 12:43
well its prob closer to a liter in 6 months,

ive only had the car for six months and it was serviced just before i got it, so i dont know what oil was in there, i can only presume its standard recommended.

need to get this thing serviced soon normally do it myself but its got full history and i need to carry it on :D

Wobba
02-05-2008, 13:01
10 - 40 would be better as thats probably what was used in the service. I wouldn't worry overly about mixing oil that much, just make sure when you do your next oil change you flush it all out and use 4 litres or whatever it is of the same stuff.

Have a look about for any obvious signs of oil leaking, check for mayo as per other thread. have a good look around the back of the block where it leans towards the driver, and the oil filter.